Ripper Street- a Spook and a Sellsword

Darth Visenya

running an episode behind but I really enjoyed the background on Drake. He now seems much more of a character and I like how Reid seems to treat him like a dog but was actually correct about his warning RE Rose.

This show is starting to feel like the "what actors do while GOT isn't filming" which is cool as they are all good actors and it's quite funny seeing them face off against one another. eg seeing Jorah throwdown with Bronn.

Good catch on Reid being a real life person. would never have even considered it.

What is different about BBC America? BBC Canada, BBC Wales or any of 100 of parts of the machine?

IF you mean by separate entity, you mean its owned by BBC Worldwide, which is owned by BBC then sure. Thats like saying Diet Coke is a separate from Coke, or Bud Lite is separate from Budweiser.

While I know they have been a part of a few things, the only show real show that BBC America has done IIRC is "Copper". The only shows that are British are Star Trek TNG, and BSG.

Well, as with the poster above me, I didn't know BBC Canada existed either; BBC Wales is kinda a bad example, as would the Scottish, NIrish, London, SW etc local branches of the BBC.

Generally speaking though, I think our admittance of ignorance/surprise might have earned us a little less snark for being ignorant; especially when Wiki appears to disagree with you (despite categorically agreeing in the generally ignored panel to the right), and the evidence of BBCA carrying many non-BBC shows.

• 2 weeks later...

No discussion? :frown5: Ser Barristan Selmy made an appearance last night. Was a really good episode imo, glad to get some background on Jackson and uhh, his wife, whose name I haven't yet caught :laugh: Is next week the last episode? I heard they've signed on for another series, which I hope is true.

No discussion? :frown5: Ser Barristan Selmy made an appearance last night. Was a really good episode imo, glad to get some background on Jackson and uhh, his wife, whose name I haven't yet caught :laugh: Is next week the last episode? I heard they've signed on for another series, which I hope is true.

I liked last nights episode.

I felt sorry for Hobbs though, I quite liked him

Yeah some awards or something were on BBC1 last week so they skipped Ripper Street. I was not happy :laugh:

I liked last nights episode.

I felt sorry for Hobbs though, I quite liked him

Oh I agree, that was sad :( next week's looks pretty good, seems like they'll be ending with a bang.

t'was a fantastic episode - best so far.

Am I the only one who thought that maybe Hobbs could cross over the other way, and play Aegon?

That wouldn't be a bad shout actually, although he might be a bit old when GoT gets to needing an Aegon actor!!.

Saying that though a lot of the characters are older in the TV series than they are in the books, or are played by older actors anyway.

Yeah some awards or something were on BBC1 last week so they skipped Ripper Street. I was not happy :laugh:

Oh I agree, that was sad :( next week's looks pretty good, seems like they'll be ending with a bang.

I felt bad for him, he was an excited young guy and that happened on his first bit of detective work :(.

That wouldn't be a bad shout actually, although he might be a bit old when GoT gets to needing an Aegon actor!!.

Saying that though a lot of the characters are older in the TV series than they are in the books, or are played by older actors anyway.

well, he needs to be approximately the same age as Dany, Jon and Robb; rather than approximately 17; so he may well be too young already, and still be too young by the time the show needs an Aegon. Can't know though, as I can't find the actor's age anywhere.

Either way, I still want Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) or Eddie Redmayne (Black Death, Pillars of the Earth and Les Mis) for Aegon

Good episode. The curse of the supporting actor getting more lines struck again though.

Spot the Game of Thrones actor has been a lot of fun and I too have started eyeing up non GOT as possible candidates for new characters turning up in GOT. The villainous Pinkerton definitely had a good "evil" face meaning who could play a swathe of characters from GOT.

I loved Drake's moment at the end when he told the whore he deserved better and she should get packing. Good for him :) I think the whole cast is getting better with every episode to be honest and Macfayden is really start to have fun with the character, which should be easy given he's pretty complex with his daughter, sense of honour - yet happy to blackmail, sense of justice but happy to bend the rules and the potential affair he's starting,

The show has been given a second series so we should get more. The only thing is that if it's anything like Spooks we may not be seeing all three of the main cast returning. Seems we have to wait until early 2014 for the next series though.

The finale does look good

I like how they are playing with the whole theory of an american surgeon (Francis tumblety) suspect by placing Jackson under suspicion. We know he's been framed but it still seems fun - especially the preview hinting at the real Ripper coming out at the false accusation. The preview was ambiguous enough for it not to say for certain the real Ripper was returning so it'll be fun to see how it plays out

I missed this when the show first started but I've been catching up via iPlayer all this week and it really is a fantastic TV series. The cast is great, the setting, the costumes and any chance to see Game of Thrones actors in other shows is something well worth seeing. The scenes in episode 5 with Jerome Flynn and Iain Glenn were really great acting from them both.

I'm looking forward to watching the last episode on Sunday and glad to hear there will be a second series next year.

Archived