Ripper Street- a Spook and a Sellsword

Darth Visenya

True, but then policemen do occasionally have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to cop-killers like Mr Goodnight (who sounds like he stepped off a James Bond set).

So arrest him and hang him, like they were going to anyway. A man kills one of your won you kill him on your terms rather than let some guy shoot him.

I don't think there's been a single episode where the villain hasn't died, so i just take it as a quirk of the show. I agree they probably wouldn't get away with it but I'm sure there has been plenty of police cover-ups of murders when one of their own have been killed.

I haven't been coming over to this thread because we here across the pond are a couple of weeks behind in episode releases for this series as I understand. I just finished the episode with Ian Glen today.

This series is far and away my favorite new TV series of the year. It has been really enjoyable from the first episode, but this week was a special treat. To see Glen and Flynn on the screen together was magic.

BBC continues to put out the best English programing in the world. I am stumped that American television can't take hint from its lead.

but it wasn't in secret, it was in the middle of the street with a journalist there. All the villains dying is ridiculous.

Again, a cop killer. All those coppers around? They saw nothing. They only regret they didn't get to shoot the murderer like a dog, not that he didn't have a proper trial.

Mr. Goodnight fired at Dr. Jackson and missed, Jackson shot at the same moment in self-defense, and proved to be a better marksman - I guess that's what officially happened.

• 8 months later...

Didn't realise the series was starting today. Thanks for the heads up.

Kanye West works far better than he should in that trailer given the setting

For a second I thought you meant Kanye West was in the episode. Could have been weirdly awesome actually.

I look forward to playing spot the GOT actor again.

Spoilers for Ep 1

Enjoyable, little bit over dramatic but meh. Benjen was enjoyable.

The Karate Kid brother was obvious, and I just didn't believe the ninja skills he had, they just seemed completely out of place. A squad of policemen with cudgels barely slowed him down, and he punched a man off his feet, then 3/4 feet through a window? What?

And shoe-horning the elephant man in seemed unnecessary.

But at least they finally bucked the trend and had a big bad survive the episode.

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 2 was great. They did a really good job of using Joseph Merick/the elephant Man and the ending was really sad. It really establishes Benjen Stark the new cop as an utter git. The cool thing was how it actually fits with history.

The second series is off to a great start. Not sure about Reid's wife's disappearance. Is she supposed to be institutionalised or dead? I couldn't grasp the meaning of her "rending" herself in the street. I guess it's mainly because the actress was busy filming the White Queen. Also is Drake's wife supposed to be the whore from the last series? She seems different.

Is using Merrick (calling him the E man seems disrespectful somehow) not in pretty bad taste?

What we know is Merrick died from lying down, that has far more poignancy as him wanting to be 'normal' than what te show gives us.

I'm not sure, I just think it's jumping on a time line gimmick because it's interesting rather than appropriate.

Is using Merrick (calling him the E man seems disrespectful somehow) not in pretty bad taste?

What we know is Merrick died from lying down, that has far more poignancy as him wanting to be 'normal' than what te show gives us.

I'm not sure, I just think it's jumping on a time line gimmick because it's interesting rather than appropriate.

I was reading up about him and it did seem like he was a genuinely sensitive person who craved interaction with others. His relationship with the Doctor was true and I didn't get the feeling he wanted to be normal, rather he wanted to be treated as another human - his speech at the end was pretty clear in that he didn't regret who he was.

It was for dramatic purposes and the fact the villain killed him by making it look like he was lying down was a perfectly plausible interpretation of what actually happened. No different from JFK conspiracies in that sense.

I also thought the actor and make-up department did a good job as acting through all those prosthetics must have been demanding.

I'm not saying it wasn't well executed. I think it was. I just can't shake the feeling of it being slightly... off. I get the same feeling with the Paralympics, on the one hand: it's a great venue for handicapped people to excel, on the other hand the people watching:seems slightly voyeuristic (this may not be the word I'm looking for) people watching them. I'm very bad at explaining myself.

Archived