Ripper Street- a Spook and a Sellsword

Darth Visenya

Season 3 started on the BBC yesterday I'm liking it so far - is there any follow-up on Shine or Flight though?

Don't remember about the Shine and Flight thingy.

[spoiler]Did you also notice Yoren? And the train wreck was set up nicely. - No, I'm not making fun of accidents.[/spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...
‘Ripper Street’ Adds David Threlfall As Series Regular

Shameless star David Threlfall has joined the cast of Victorian era period drama Ripper Street as a series regular for its upcoming fourth season, TVWise has learned. Threlfall will play Abel Croker, wharfinger, villain and keeper of other men’s secrets.

Production on the fourth season is now underway in Dublin for a late 2015 premiere on Amazon Prime Instant Video UK.

Other cast additions for the show’s fourth season include David Warner (The Omen), Matthew Lewis (Harry Potter), Killian Scott (Calvary) and Jonas Armstrong (Robin Hood), while Lucy Cohu and Derek Riddell are on board to reprise their roles from the first season. They all join a returning cast which also includes Matthew Macfadyen as Detective Inspector Edmund Reid, Jerome Flynn as Detective Sergeant Bennett Drake and Adam Rothenberg as Captain Homer Jackson.

• 3 months later...

Yup she's had her moments but sometime's you've got to let a character go before they end up dragging the story down.

Also not to sure about Reid coming back, I love the character and actor but this is twice now he's made an exit isn't it? Unless it's a time skip and his daughter is now grown why is he coming back into the policing world?

Why hate on Susan herself when whatever is going on with her is the choice of the writers and director?

So often in all these series the showrunners really don't know what to do with women who have you know actual autonomy and agency.  So their solution is to make them insane, traitors and slaves to vices -- see, Copper.

• 2 weeks later...

When one says they are done with a character, the writing for that character is kind of implied to be the root of the problem no?

I hope they do better by the women -- Susan -- than has been done in the past episodes.  Particularly as this is a series that I like very much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just finished it.  It was another good season.  The finale is devastating, and ends on a cliffhanger.  Hard to see how they're going to do season 5.  It might continue minutes after season 4 but probably not.

It's 1897 and Queen Vicky's diamond jubilee.  Neville Longbottom is in it, and Matilda is 19.  Insert sexual pun about magic wands.

Long Susan isn't forced into it unbelievably, but they do a disservice in the writing with Rose.  Threlfall is terrific.

My favourite moment might have been Reid's subtle excitement at seeing new technology at the station for the first time and trying to figure out what it is.

I've yet to watch season 3. Amazon UK hasn't done a good job of promoting 4 as this is the first I've heard of it. Strange as they are always reminding me of "vikings", "turn" and "black sails". You think they'd know my MO by now.

Guess there's a good binge session on the horizon.

One thing I don't like about Ripper Street is common to a lot of shows -- that nearly every victim, villain and witness has a personal connection to the series regulars.  Enough with that trope, already!  Ripper Street goes a bit worse this season intertwining the cases with each other unnecessarily.  Still enjoyed it.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived