Ripper Street- a Spook and a Sellsword

Darth Visenya

Are they replacing the usual villain of the week thing with a-guy-with-some-quirk-that-means-the-badass-soldier-who-killed-a-shitton-of-Egyptians-can't-beat-him-in-a-fight of the week?

I thought it was implied Benjen (can't recall his name) could beat Bronn in a fight (he's got all Chinese experience and stuff :dunno: )

I'm not saying it wasn't well executed. I think it was. I just can't shake the feeling of it being slightly... off. I get the same feeling with the Paralympics, on the one hand: it's a great venue for handicapped people to excel, on the other hand the people watching:seems slightly voyeuristic (this may not be the word I'm looking for) people watching them. I'm very bad at explaining myself.

I sort of see where you are coming from. I think they were really just thinking he's a well known character from that period. I hope they try and mingle some more known people from that era when it can fit in the story.

I think Reid's wife left him after his affair

You're right, Reid did admit to the affair and I guess the street scene she caused was part of the response.

I thought it was implied Benjen (can't recall his name) could beat Bronn in a fight (he's got all Chinese experience and stuff :dunno: )

Yeah he has kung-fu skillz apparently. Nothing that a montage or threat to his wife won't fix though :rolleyes:

At least we'll sort of find out who would win in a fight between Bronn and Benjen by the season finale.

• 4 weeks later...

Just spotted another Game of Thrones actor in this week's episode - looks like Thoros of Myr to me.

I've missed so many episodes - can anyone fill me in on the last few weeks? Think the last one I saw was episode 3 :blushing: May try to find the time to catch up on them at some point.

Just spotted another Game of Thrones actor in this week's episode - looks like Thoros of Myr to me.

I've missed so many episodes - can anyone fill me in on the last few weeks? Think the last one I saw was episode 3 :blushing: May try to find the time to catch up on them at some point.

Yes it was Thoros of Myr, apparantly hes gone to Victorian London to pedal House Targaryen propaganda fliers and he got the words the wrong way round.

The recent episode didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Thoros is stirring up trouble between different religions but with apparently no real agenda/plan. Then he wants to commit mass suicide but wants his ex wife back and Bennet to be in the gang? If they were aiming to show us he was delusional then I think they succeeded. Wasn't entirely sold on Bennet's wife going mad as I wasn't sure whether she was buying back into the cult or trying to save Bennet. A confusing mess to be honest.

It's the only bad episode of the season though. Hopefully we get some more on the yankee's wife as the barber guy is pretty cool.

I'm not sure if this episode was particularly bad or just a mix of not being as strong as last weeks (which I thought was one of the strongest ones) and I was distracted during the episode and so will happily admit I had no fucking clue what was happening in terms of the their motivations.

Well that's shite. 3 million seems decent enough for a monday night show. They shouldn't bother trying to create something new just give the money to Steven Moffat since Doctor Who and Sherlock seem to be the only dramas that can ever beat ITV's reality tv juggernauts.

NOOOO!

Ripper Street's been cancelled due to 'disappointing' ratings.

Fuck you, BBC, for moving it to Mondays against I'm a Pseudo-Celebrity, Watch me make a twat of myself.

But then what will the British Male cast of Game of Thrones do in the off period?

NOOOO!

Ripper Street's been cancelled due to 'disappointing' ratings.

Fuck you, BBC, for moving it to Mondays against I'm a Pseudo-Celebrity, Watch me make a twat of myself.

Why can't they do something genuinely productive and cancel Eastenders, this is terrible news.

Why can't they do something genuinely productive and cancel Eastenders, this is terrible news.

Could do a crossover - satisfy all the key demographics by having 3/4 of the Eastender's cast killed by the police because H Division can't actually arrest anyone

That's a damn shame. Just when I thought I was getting a little bit more value out of my tv license. I tend to watch it on iplayer in the hope they can get more accurate viewing figures (not sure that works but I'm sure watching it live without the nielsen box doesn't)

Even more insane is the fact the viewing figures are great for a monday night time slot on the BBC, It's only bad in comparison to a reality TV show. It's a shame they can't figure out they are capturing an audience that won't watch reality TV shows. I doubt you can sell a reality tv show to other countries either whereas Ripper Street could. There's also box sets to consider,

Grrr.

Well that's shite. 3 million seems decent enough for a monday night show. They shouldn't bother trying to create something new just give the money to Steven Moffat since Doctor Who and Sherlock seem to be the only dramas that can ever beat ITV's reality tv juggernauts.

I do think that the Doctor Who association brings in viewers. If someone from Who had been involved in the show more people may have checked it out.

I wonder if this means Peaky Blinders will be cancelled? Can't remember what day that was on and personally didn't like it as much as Ripper Street but thought the two went well together. I'm sure they can reuse sets and costumes.

Could do a crossover - satisfy all the key demographics by having 3/4 of the Eastender's cast killed by the police because H Division can't actually arrest anyone

You know that could bizarrely work. An episode set in Albert square with some ancestors of the cast would definitely draw in the viewers. Not sure many of them would stay beyond that but it'd have been worth a shot.

I just have to cross my fingers that the team outs an even better show together for us about something else.

I have no idea how my own comment became part of the quote - stupid floaty keyboard pad.

Archived