9 horrifyingly botched police raids: How do we keep this from happening?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Here's the link:

http://www.businessinsider.com/9-horrifying-botched-police-raids-2012-2?op=1

From the link:

Police are often amped up for a SWAT-style raid, and suspects or innocent people behind the wrong door often believe that they are being attacked.

Sometimes they fire a weapon at cops thinking they are being burglarized. Sometimes the cops fire at them because they see something in their hands. Sometimes the police just make elementary mistakes.

These are pretty scary. What can be done to prevent things like this from occuring?

Tormund,

I think you're right. "Oops, my bad" just isn't enough when police chainsaw through the door to the wrong house or serve no knock raids, in error, 50 times to the same house. Their jurisdiction is contingent upon being served on the correct location. Hitting the wrong house should be a crime.

serve no knock raids, in error, 50 times to the same house.
I won't lie, I laughed massively when I saw this. At one point do the cops put up an address on their wall saying 'do not go to this address' like you put up checks and pictures of people saying 'do not take checks from this guy'?

Because other nations don't have SWAT teams that are used to bust into people's homes or because police who are serving a warrant on the wrong house have to worry about a firearm being present?
Not at the frequency that the US does, no.

One suggestion is ban police from having lethal weapons. No reason police need to kill people.

if it were that easy, it would've been done long time ago.

as things stand, with criminals armed as much as they are in u.s. (and some other countries too) this would only serve to increase body count.

i think tormund is closer to the mark, police force and its members need to be held responsible for their mistakes just as the rest of the population and they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law when they cover each other's back.

Archived