Rickon`s Regent

Mladen

Blackfish and Edmure are going to be too busy spearheading the Tully Restoration effort and taking Riverrun back from the Freys.

I think Glover, Mama Mormont, or the Greatjon if/when he busts out of prison are all solid "Robb's Inner Circle" choices.

Whatever responsibilities and secrets have kept Howland Reed off-camera for five books will most likely continue to do so, eliminating him as an otherwise solid choice.

Manderly will no doubt apply for the job and/or consider it a fair reward for his service in finding Rickon and restoring him to the family seat if he survives The Battle For Winterfell and, fittingly enough considering his girth, that's a BIG if.

Jon will be too busy saving EVERYONE's bacon from the Others, once his case of death clears up.

Sansa is a good choice if one of the good Lords Declarant (NOT LYN CORBRAY FOR GOD'S SAKE) can take over a comparable role for Sweetrobin if/when Sansa takes everything Littlefinger teaches her and uses it to destroy him. Sweetrobin might need her even more than Rickon would otherwise.

DARK HORSE CANDIDATE: Alys Karstark

Robett Glover. He seems a capable commander and leader, and represents Northern ideals. He stands to inherit no lands until his brother dies. Not to mention he has a daughter around Rickons age. Not too hard to propose a marriage.

I recently seen that Jaime Lannister was to be Warden of the West until Sweetrobin came of age with the reason argued on that thread that to give it to one of the other Lords would put their nose out of joint upon having to step down amongst his fellow Lords again afterwards.

Depending on the circumstances and whoever was LC of the NW you could make an argument that he should sit at Winterfell and remain out of politics of Westoros by protecting the realm just further back than was normal. I dont think there is a rule about having to be at the wall is there? No need for a further title as he would be the LC of the NW sitting at Winterfell.

We like the idea of Manderly but what happens if he has a daughter or granddaughter of a similar age to Rickon? And their marriage suddenly seems a good idea? The other Lords would be fuming and could lead to Northern Rebellion Stark or no Stark

I think that one of the following would be good choices: -

Lord Davos Seaworth - he might remind Rickon of his father (honourable & honest etc). Plus he'd be the one (potentially) responsible for returning Rickon home.

Lord Wyman Manderly - if he pulls off his plan to rid the North/Winterfell of the Bolton/Frey Alliance he'll have the respect & gratitude of the North. They may well follow him.

Ser Brynden Tully - he's a good decent man & is Rickon's great uncle. The Northmen would respect him.

Not proposing new names, just torpedoing some already mentioned. :cool4:

Why not Wyman Manderly: Rickon needs to reclaim Winterfell and "rule" from there. Appearances and symbols are important. Wyman's ass, as huge as it is, ain't big enough to sit both in Winterfell and White Harbor. Some other Manderly, though, why not? Mayhaps Wyman's son, or cousin. I don't buy the "no true Northman, follows the Seven" argument, especially if a person using it proposes Davos Seaworth in the same paragraph. The Manderlys are northern enough, especially if they make Rickon miraculously come back from the dead. A Manderly would be my bet.

There are only million insurmountable obstacles that make Osha impossible. A wildling, a servant, no knowledge of politics, no leadership experience. Sorry, that simply will not happen.

Why not Davos: because I don't think Stannis can spare him.

People seem to have a very odd idea of the role of regent if they can even suggest Osha. Apart from being a woman she cannot read, is a wilding, has no experience in ruling and does not know the North.

Most likely is that BRAN will rule as Regent or as Lord.

Best thing for Rickon when he returns would be regency through a small council - Davos (representing the Iron Throne), Benjen and Jon Snow (assuming the wall is no more), Glover, Rickon's future wife - a Manderley I hope (or a Mormant), Robert Glover, and Umber, Mance Rayder,a Skagosi, Old Nan

I also wonder at suggestions of Sansa. She actually has NO experience in ruling and even less in military command. She would be a less worthy regent that Rickon himself. _ there is ONLY an 8 year difference. Rickon will in fact have a better grasp of the North than Sansa, having lived there all his like. Sansa is very much a Southern girl. The ONLY way Sansa would be acceptable would be if the North accepted Tyrion her husband - not very likely

Arya is more likely because of her looks, her military grasp and her good head for figures (and I assume with in strategy in battles and logistics). However sh is just 5-6 years older than Rickon so not really of an age to be a regent.

Actually with Shaggy dog in the room maybe even 9 year old Rickon will say - no regent. I am king. Woof, woof, growl.

I also wonder at suggestions of Sansa. She actually has NO experience in ruling and even less in military command. She would be a less worthy regent that Rickon himself. _ there is ONLY an 8 year difference. Rickon will in fact have a better grasp of the North than Sansa, having lived there all his like. Sansa is very much a Southern girl. The ONLY way Sansa would be acceptable would be if the North accepted Tyrion her husband - not very likely

Arya is more likely because of her looks, her military grasp and her good head for figures (and I assume with in strategy in battles and logistics). However sh is just 5-6 years older than Rickon so not really of an age to be a regent.

Actually with Shaggy dog in the room maybe even 9 year old Rickon will say - no regent. I am king. Woof, woof, growl.

Sansa is more recognizable than Arya...And after LF finishes his tutorial with Sansa, she could rule entire Westeros, yet alone North

Sansa is more recognizable than Arya...And after LF finishes his tutorial with Sansa, she could rule entire Westeros, yet alone North

I don't know about all of that. Littlefinger may be a good con artist, but that no way qualifies him to be a great ruler/lord/king. As we learned from Robert, it is one thing to win a throne, but quite another to sit it and rule a Kingdom.

I don't know about all of that. Littlefinger may be a good con artist, but that no way qualifies him to be a great ruler/lord/king. As we learned from Robert, it is one thing to win a throne, but quite another to sit it and rule a Kingdom.

What has LF been doing in the past decade? He and Varys ruled the kingdom...He was the one who started War of Five Kings...I mean if you want a tutor in ruling Westeros, LF is one of your best options

When it comes to political powerplay, LF, Varys and the QoT are the ones to take pointers from. Certainly not from her own father, Stan, Tywin, Cercei or her husband Tyrion.

Think of it this way. Because Sansa now learns how ambitious and ruthless but intelligent courtiers work she can protect her future husband / Rickon better from those kind of jerks in the future.

Whoa, when did he say that? I must have missed it.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So why did you kill Jon Snow?

GEORGE R.R. MARTIN: Oh, you think he’s dead, do you?

Well, I guess. Yes. That’s how I took it. The way it was written, it sounded like he was mortally wounded — and, you know, it’s you!

Well. I’m not going to address whether he’s dead or not. But as to why — didn’t you think the text established why they would want to assassinate him?

If GRRM had certainly killed off Jon he would have stated so.

My pick would be Jon, but there are a lot of other good choices.

I don't understand why people think Sansa would be able and ready. Yeah shes being "trained" by LF, but I think people highly overestimate how this will turn out. Also, LF's ways are good in the South, but the North is different. What he's "teaching" Sansa won't work the same way in the North as it does in the South.

Roose Bolton

What about Roose Bolton?

Everyone is assuming that the return of a Stark puts this powerful house out of the picture.

Although the Boltons are little loved Rickon is just a boy and winter is coming. People want to buckle down to survive winter.

The red Wedding has been pinned on the Freys and in the eyes of teh world the opportunistic Boltons just got lucky.

Let's not forget that the Iron Throne appointed the Boltons as Wardens of the North. And there is precedent for giving political power to someone outside of the traditional ruling house: Jaime was named Warden of the Eas until SweetRobin came of age.

Roose has painted himself as Loyal to Starks simple taking up the duty because there are no longer Starks to serve. If Rickon returns he will pretend to rejoice and assist Rickon. And because a lot of de facto and de jura power is already in his hands he will seek to manoevre himself into the Regent role. Roose as regent may be the compromise with the Iron Throne.

Roose's odds are much better if Wyman Manderley die then Roose will be one of the most cunning players of the Game.

Lady Dustin

I am surprised no-one has mentioned Lady Dustin as an option. She has the loyalty of the Dustins and the Ryswells.

------

With Lady Dustin and Roose Bolton in a tentative alliance already they may work together to keep one or both of them as regent.

Roose Bolton

What about Roose Bolton?

Everyone is assuming that the return of a Stark puts this powerful house out of the picture.

Although the Boltons are little loved Rickon is just a boy and winter is coming. People want to buckle down to survive winter.

Some. And some don't plan on surviving, but want to bathe in Bolton blood before they die.

The red Wedding has been pinned on the Freys and in the eyes of teh world the opportunistic Boltons just got lucky.

And in the eyes of the world Rickon Stark is dead. However, the truth starts coming out.

Roose has painted himself as Loyal to Starks simple taking up the duty because there are no longer Starks to serve.

And Robb Stark turned into a wolf and ate Wyman Manderly's son. That's the official version, anyway. Some, however, have doubts.

Let's not forget that the Iron Throne appointed the Boltons as Wardens of the North.

That kinda outs Roose as a traitor for everyone who had any residual doubt before.

If Rickon returns he will pretend to rejoice and assist Rickon.

If Rickon returns and falls into the Boltons' hands, he'll have a fatal accident very quickly.

With Lady Dustin and Roose Bolton in a tentative alliance already they may work together to keep one or both of them as regent.

You're certain you have Lady Dustin's loyalty pegged down? When people tell Reek exactly what Ramsay wants to hear, I'm a little bit suspicious.

If he lives, Manderly is definitely the most likely. He's the richest and most powerful lord in the North besides the Starks and Boltons. If not, his son, being lord in WH is no problem since Ned remained warden when he became hand. Or Robett, if he plays a very big part in taking down Bolton and wins some respect.

I doubt Davos because Stannis is in no position to make a demand like that to the Northmen and wants him for his own hand. Reed seems unlikely since he is neither rich nor powerful and the other lords don't have much respect for the Crannogmen. Lady Dustin is most unlikely, she's a woman and she was the first to side with Bolton. She's powerful so they will make sure to win her over, but for regent you want someone who's loyalty is unquestionable.

Archived