Rickon`s Regent

Mladen

Few people said Jon Stark but there"s no way. If he was made legit and allowed to leave the wall then he"d be lord before Bran and Rickon.

Blackfish is my pick.

Who would legitimize Jon, and if someone does that, he would be Targaryen, right...Rickon is an heir, so logically he needs someone to rule instead

The obvious choice, Jon Snow, his bastard brother. Besides being married to a Lannister, isn't Sansa underage?

This is just a thought: IS she really underage? In my country if you are under 16 you are underage, but if you get married before that (with a parent's or a judge's permission) then you are automatically considered emancipated. It is assumed that if you have the capacity to marry then you have the capacity for performing every other legal act.

If Westeros has a similar law, then she could be of age. Does this make sense? I know Tommen is married and still has a regent, but he is much younger. Sansa is nearing on 14 now.

If the youngest Stark ever comes back to Winterfell with his direwolf, who do you think would rule his kingdoms in his name, or at least North (if there would not be Kingdom of the North and Riverlands anymore). There are many choices...

1. Sansa

2. Edmure Tully

3. Brynden Tully

4. Wyman Manderly

5. Lord from Skagos

Each of them could be a decent regent, but there are too many things that works against each of them. Sansa is married to a Lannister,Edmure is held as captive in Casterly rock, and Manderly is just a lord, not High lord, not many Northerners would be that happy to be ruled by him. The same reason for Skagosi lord...

Who do you think will rule North until Rickon comes of age?

Rickon's Regent? Rickon isn't going to take the north...where are you getting this from? And if somehow Rickon takes the north, he would have to chose an Umber or a Karstark. I'd imagine Karstarks are still mad at Robb for killing Rickard. And Umber's are the only family who can handle the pending revolts. And Sansa, Lord Manderly, the Skagosi lord, and Edmure Tully would all make horrible regents. Sansa is too innocent, Manderly unable to hold back the Boltons, Skagosi unpopular, Edmure to rash.

Rickon's Regent? Rickon isn't going to take the north...where are you getting this from? And if somehow Rickon takes the north, he would have to chose an Umber or a Karstark. I'd imagine Karstarks are still mad at Robb for killing Rickard. And Umber's are the only family who can handle the pending revolts. And Sansa, Lord Manderly, the Skagosi lord, and Edmure Tully would all make horrible regents. Sansa is too innocent, Manderly unable to hold back the Boltons, Skagosi unpopular, Edmure to rash.

Why would it have to be an Umber or Karstark? And why can't Rickon retake the North? As for Manderly, I'm assuming the Boltons would be dead by the time a new Regent was named...

Until the words Jon Snow is a Targaryen/Rhagear is his dad, Jon can be considered a candiate if he leaves the wall. Do i believe R+L=J, absoluetly, do i Believe Jon will leave the wall, absoleutly not (unless it's to skin Ramsay). If there's one thing GRRM has, it's surprising us at every twist and turn, and leaving very little obvious,

Rickon's Regent? Rickon isn't going to take the north...where are you getting this from?

The fact that Robb is dead and Bran is most likely never coming back. Manderly sends Davos on a secret mission to retrieve Rickon. I'd only assume it's to place him in power. A young Stark is better than no Stark.

And if somehow Rickon takes the north, he would have to chose an Umber or a Karstark. I'd imagine Karstarks are still mad at Robb for killing Rickard. And Umber's are the only family who can handle the pending revolts. And Sansa, Lord Manderly, the Skagosi lord, and Edmure Tully would all make horrible regents. Sansa is too innocent, Manderly unable to hold back the Boltons, Skagosi unpopular, Edmure to rash.

Not sure where this is coming from. Pending revolts? There are many northern families that are just as prominent as the Umbers. They're not even the most powerful house.

Sansa's innocence is quickly going away. Through LF and her experience in KL she is getting a realistic view of the world. By adulthood there is no way she could be called innocent.

Manderly is in the midst of fighting the Boltons. Why else have Davos get Rickon? To get the Boltons out of power. Manderly is the most powerful lord in the North and one of the the most important political players in the entire game right now.

Finally, there are many other northern lords that could be regent without necessarily having to get an Umber. Robett Glover is the perfect example.

What has LF been doing in the past decade? He and Varys ruled the kingdom...He was the one who started War of Five Kings...I mean if you want a tutor in ruling Westeros, LF is one of your best options

Jon Arryn had been ruling the Kingdom. Varys and LF have been causing trouble. When Arryn then Ned bit the big one all hell broke loose and the Kingdom fell apart, despite LF and Varys being around.

They are great con artists, but I don't think they would be just or even decent rulers. I maintain LF can help you win a Kingdom, but he won't be a good ruler. A great ruler doesn't have to play games and pin Lords against each other. A great ruler gets shit done. Ned, Arryn Tywin, these guys are great Lords. LF is a punk with an inferiority complex. LF would be a good tutor on how to win a kingdom, or how to destroy a monarch, but he is not fit to rule.

When it comes to political powerplay, LF, Varys and the QoT are the ones to take pointers from. Certainly not from her own father, Stan, Tywin, Cercei or her husband Tyrion.

Think of it this way. Because Sansa now learns how ambitious and ruthless but intelligent courtiers work she can protect her future husband / Rickon better from those kind of jerks in the future.

I'll grant you LF has his uses, but as far as ruling a Kingdom and it's people I just don't see it. He would maybe make a decent Hand, as long as there is a noble King on the throne. Would you want a schemer like LF as your President? Where are his loyalties? Certianly not to his subjects.

It would have to be someone from the North. As much as I like the Blackfish, I don't see Northerners wanting a guy from the Riverlands coming in and basically ruling them. He could potentially serve on his counsel.

I like the idea of Jon as I think Jon's "death" will free him from his NW vows. However, I think Jon has other purposes to fulfill.

Manderly will use finding him as a major power play to get in that position and he may be able to do so. However, if Sansa makes her way back to WF (and something I read yesterday and I can't remember where makes me think both she and Arya will end up there again), then an older, wiser Sansa would fill that role.

Actually, I'm warming up to Bolton as the more realistic option.

Roose is happy to pack up at the drop of a hat, head for the Dreadfort, shut the gates, lock down and see out the winter there and leave the whole warring mess to Ramsay who may or may not survive. This leaves Roose in a very survivable situation. Roose saw to it that the Bolton garrisons had fewer casualties in the war and the Dreadfort is very secure. It was besieged a long time by the Starks of old.

Even if the Freys and Ramsay's forces are slaughtered, and the not-to-healthy Lord Wyman Manderly installs Rickon as Lord of Winterfel... The Iron throne has still named Roose Bolton as Warden of the North.

So what is to be done with Winter fast closing it jaws on the North?

Either

____a) the North must rebel again and begin the war afresh in Winter, unprovisioned from the South.

____B) the North keeps a temporary peace with the Iron Throne allowing Roose to rule as Warden or Reagent planning to depose him in summer while Roose in turn consolidates his power over Rickon.

____c) Manderly doesn't claim Wardenship for Rickon in opposition to the Iron Throne but all the North quietly ignores Roose in the Dreadfort.

Of course the Iron Throne may not be in any state or position to care about the Wardenship of the North.

There are many ways this could play out, but many of the scenarios involve a temporary compromise with the Iron Throne and its current representative, Roose Bolton. If Lord Wyman Manderly dies then his son may flex the Manderly wealth but with Lady Dustin apparently on his side Bolton may effectively prove to be the most powerful lord in the North. Remember, thought the Iron Throne and Freys, the Boltons can hold hostages against most of the nobles houses with relatives at the Red Wedding.

But it's also a question of how much can the Northern lords get away with before attention of King's Landing is drawn North and the Iron Throne deems it worthwhile to move against them. Revealing a surviving Stark? Deposing Ramsay and fake "Arya" to reinstall a new Lord of Winterfell? To wreak havoc or direct outright vengeance against House Bolton? To internally name that Stark Warden of the North? To re-declare independence and a new King in the North?

Winter touches the South as well, though not as severely as in the North. It is even possible that organs of the Throne will be in such disarray and that there will be too many enemies at war in the South for anyone to be able to respond to a rebelling North for many many months. Perhaps that is enough time, perhaps not. Perhaps the North is safest from the South in the Winter as Stannis' campaign may show us.

Rickon is the heir of Winterfell, considering that Bran is gone for goods, Sansa is disinherited and Jeyne, well it`s another theory. For those we know are alive, Rickon is the heir. I haven`t meant of regency in terms of royalty, then who would rule North in his name?

Roose is happy to pack up at the drop of a hat, head for the Dreadfort, shut the gates, lock down and see out the winter there and leave the whole warring mess to Ramsay who may or may not survive. This leaves Roose in a very survivable situation. Roose saw to it that the Bolton garrisons had fewer casualties in the war and the Dreadfort is very secure. It was besieged a long time by the Starks of old.

Even if the Freys and Ramsay's forces are slaughtered, and the not-to-healthy Lord Wyman Manderly installs Rickon as Lord of Winterfel... The Iron throne has still named Roose Bolton as Warden of the North.

Either

____a) the North must rebel again and begin the war afresh in Winter, unprovisioned from the South.

____ B) the North keeps a temporary peace with the Iron Throne allowing Roose to rule as Warden or Reagent planning to depose him in summer while Roose in turn consolidates his power over Rickon.

____c) Manderly doesn't claim Wardenship for Rickon in opposition to the Iron Throne but all the North quietly ignores Roose in the Dreadfort.

Of course the Iron Throne may not be in any state or position to care about the Wardenship of the North.

There are many ways this could play out, but many of the scenarios involve a temporary compromise with the Iron Throne and its current representative, Roose Bolton. If Lord Wyman Manderly dies then his son may flex the Manderly wealth but with Lady Dustin apparently on his side Bolton may effectively prove to be the most powerful lord in the North. Remember, thought the Iron Throne and Freys, the Boltons can hold hostages against most of the nobles houses with relatives at the Red Wedding.

But it's also a question of how much can the Northern lords get away with before attention of King's Landing is drawn North and the Iron Throne deems it worthwhile to move against them. Revealing a surviving Stark? Deposing Ramsay and fake "Arya" to reinstall a new Lord of Winterfell? To wreak havoc or direct outright vengeance against House Bolton? To internally name that Stark Warden of the North? To re-declare independence and a new King in the North?

Winter touches the South as well, though not as severely as in the North. It is even possible that organs of the Throne will be in such disarray and that there will be too many enemies at war in the South for anyone to be able to respond to a rebelling North for many many months. Perhaps that is enough time, perhaps not. Perhaps the North is safest from the South in the Winter as Stannis' campaign may show us.

Can I just say how much I would love this option? Roose keeping the Dreadfort and ruling in Rickon's name would be a great way to end the series (I do not think GRRM is going to give every bad guy their comeuppance, nor should he)

Either

____ B) the North keeps a temporary peace with the Iron Throne allowing Roose to rule as Warden or Reagent planning to depose him in summer while Roose in turn consolidates his power over Rickon.

Roose cannot realistically be Rickon's regent since he participated in the demise of his family. Either he rules as his own, either he dies

Roose cannot realistically be Rickon's regent since he participated in the demise of his family. Either he rules as his own, either he dies

He has some deniability, and Rickon isn't old enough to see past his lies. If Roose got his hands on him, the other Houses would have to play along.

Not that I think it will shake out that way, but it's plausible.

Archived