Rickon`s Regent

Mladen

Am the only one really excited for Roose to capture Rickon? It's the perfect opportunity for Roose to break free of the weak Iron Throne (which is already busy fighting with Aegon and Euron), and establish himself as the ruler of the North and the Trident (with the Freys backing him), adding another major conflict in the game. And with the Vale declaring for Sansa, you'll have another huge war between 6 rulers, and that's without even bringing Myrcella or Dany to the game.

You'll have some Northern lords and Riverlords supporting Roose, others supporting Stannis, and some with Sansa claiming Roose is holding Rickon and they must free him.

This is actually the only way Sansa's right can be used. If Rickon goes to Davos or Manderly, he ends up with Stannis and that means the loyal North sides with Stannis, and Sansa's marriage to Harry will only mean all the lords of the Vale follow Stannis, too. As good as that sounds, this is the Game of Thrones, and we always need to have a huge conflict.

Since August seems to be month of resurrection for my old threads, it's interesting to see how much I have changed my POV... And although I still believe Sansa would be great regent, at this moment, Jon is my first choice... He fulfills all the necessary requirements for the leader North needs in dire sitiuation like the future war with Others. And with Robb's will, NW probable dissolving, he is number 1 guy for the job...

I like Jon as well but I think if he is to rule WF it will be as either the Lord/King and not as Regent. Jon understands the threat of the others and has proven to have a good grasp of politics in the North.

There is another problem I forgot to mention with Sansa though. It is never a good idea to make the number 2 in line to rule (assuming Sansa is regent for Rickon and Bran never shows back up). There is just to much motivation for Sansa to keep ruling herself. I know many people think Sansa would never do such a thing but power changes people. What happens after a few years of ruling Sansa decides that she doesn't want to give up power? Maybe she thinks she would be a better ruler then Rickon. It would be all to easy to arrange a happy little accident that gets Rickon out of the way and secures Sansa as Lady of Winterfell.

I don't care who the person is. Placing a heir as regent is a recipe for disaster. Once people get a taste of power they are unlikely to give it up.

I'd prefer Manderly or Glover to rule as regent for Rickon; the North needs someone in charge who can play the game of thrones (at least until the Starks are restored) and someone distant enough from the Stark name that they can get their hands dirty without tarnishing the revered reputation of the Starks.

Even Sansa's a great choice (granted some time passes from the present before she takes over as Rickon's regent) because she's learning how to play the game from the best of the best.

I really don't think Jon's a good choice. Not only is a man sworn to the Night's Watch directly and so ostentatiously dangling himself into Northern politics just begging for some rebellious lords to use that as an excuse to stir up trouble, but right now the North is in need of a hardened and experienced veteran who knows what he's doing, rather than Robb Stark: Bastard Edition.

Not to offend the OP, but why do so many assume that Rickon will need a regent? Last I checked, Bran isnt dead and can probably leave the cave if he wanted to. Sorry...its just a pet-peeve i needed to get off my chest.

But to answer the question....Jon would be good.

Archived