The Americans

Fragile Bird

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty darn intriguing, I'd say. Great first episode.

I think it's repeating at 11:30.

ETA: Okay, it went longer than I expected and I didn't want to miss anything!

Very attractive and interesting lead characters, quirky twists with dark humor to them. If they can keep this up, I've got my Thursday Wednesday nights filled. :) Lost my head there for a minute.

ETA: I think I LURVE the male lead, "Phillip" - He's got a nerdy look to him, something like the Michael Weston character from Burn Notice, but he out Michael Weston's Michael Weston in how he can put on a character with a wig, slide into any situation to get what he needs, and kick the shit out of anyone who gets in the way. He's kinda poignant too, being tempted by Reagan's America, dancing in a mall in cowboy boots, and in love with his spy wife.

I can't wait till next Wednesday!

ETA: Oh, wait. "Phillip" a/k/a Matthew Rhys, is originally from Wales, which we know does nto exist. ALAS. :( We are sad.

I really enjoyed this pilot. This series has all sorts of potential. There are just so many directions to go with this, and the characters are beyond ripe for development. I will be paying close attention to this series.

I also really enjoyed the score. From the Fleetwood Mac remix on down, This show nailed the time period.

I checked it out and enjoyed it. Some complex characters in there and good intrigue. Will be interesting to see where this goes. Nice to see David from Brothers and Sisters again. Always loved the actor.

It's funny because I never could stand him in Brothers and Sisters. (Maybe it was because that series vaguely irritated me anyway. All these rich people, sitting around whining. :P)

This role as Phillip really gives him a lot more range.

You won't be sorry! The beginning is slightly confusing. A lot happens and you're not familiar with the players yet. In fact, I went back and re-watched the beginning. It all becomes very clear once you know what's going on!

And, yeah, music is used to good effect. "Tusk," which I happen to love and hadn't heard for a long time, was a fun counterpoint to the action on-screen.

Loved it. Great start to the series with a lot of potential. It's also produced by Graham Yost who does Justified. Really looking forward to this.

Oh wow, I didn't realize there was a Graham Yost connection. Just as a point of trivia, Graham Yost's father Elwy ran a series about movies, and screening movies, called Magic Shadows, which then grew into Saturday Night at the Movies, on Ontario's public equivalent of PBS, TVO, starting in the early 70s. When he was a child, his father would give him a dime every week to go see a movie, on condition he came home and did a report on the film. Elwy Yost was famous in cinema circles over his extensive, detailed knowledge of the film industry, and he snagged interviews with absolutely everybody who was anybody, because his knowledge of their background and their work would be so impressive they felt like they were talking to a colleague in the industry, not a reporter. He got interviews with directors, producers, technical people and production people as well movie stars, who would otherwise decline to be interviewed. The program finally got cut in the fall, after more than 40 years, but there is an extensive archive if anyone is interested in movies and interviews, at the website: http://snam.tvo.org/past-shows

Elwy, a beloved person in Ontario, retired in 1999, and died at age 86 in 2011. I remember how excited he was telling us back in 1993 about his son the screenwriter getting his script picked up and made into a movie, Speed. Speed was the last movie Elwy screened on his program when he retired in 99.

A bit of a segue, sorry, but I thought some of you might be interested.

All right, that pretty much seals it, I'm watching this tonight.

Glad I set the DVR to record it last night.

Hope you set it for around 100 minutes, 'cuz it went long and the ending is killah. I'm in total love with this series so far.

Saw the pilot and thought it was really quite good; I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. The show just screams "potential", there's so much they could do with the characters, the premise, the setting. And since its well-acted and -written, it should be a treat.

That was a good pilot, probably the best I've seen so far this season. But to nitpick :box: , I hope the editing and sound editing gets better in the next few episodes. The wigs and the low tech are fun!

Also, Felicity shoves a finger (or fingers???) up some dude's bunghole lolwut :eek:

Archived