The Americans

Fragile Bird

Hope you set it for around 100 minutes, 'cuz it went long and the ending is killah. I'm in total love with this series so far.

Yep, the DVR picked up the whole thing. Thank goodness. This show is the goods. I didn't have high expectations because I'm generally not a fan of spy movies, but this delivered big time.

I liked it, although im not sold on Russell's acting abilities. I guess we shall see.

She was the only one I was a bit on the fence about. But Matthew Rhys' tour-de-force kinda leaves others in the dust. His role is the more intriguing, whereas hers was cut-and-dried - at least in the pilot.

Margo Martindale will be joining the cast as a KGB runner.

Oh, and anyone else notice Richard Thomas (John-Boy Walton) at the DoJ?

She was the only one I was a bit on the fence about. But Matthew Rhys' tour-de-force kinda leaves others in the dust. His role is the more intriguing, whereas hers was cut-and-dried - at least in the pilot.

I think hers is going to get more complicated as the show goes on. It's pretty clear that Rhys' character is already in love with Russell's so while his will be complicated early on, I think the dynamic of her falling in love with him after 16 years of being with him while still dealing with her loyalties to the USSR will become the focal point. Rhys is already there and Russell has to get there. I have no worries about her selling it.

Oh, and anyone else notice Richard Thomas (John-Boy Walton) at the DoJ?

I laughed out loud when he strolled in! One of the neatest things about many of these new dramas on the various channels has been the casting. I love the fact the casting directors are coming up with faces from the past to play leads and supporting roles both.

And Mexal, I think you're right about the Rhys and Russell. It will be intriguing to see how they develop. If it goes the soap opera route, with time she will want to defect and his faith in Mother Russia will be restored. :P One hopes that they will eventually be united in their goal, whichever direction that takes them in.

I love the way sympathy for the enemy has been developed. I guess I should ask, by the end of the pilot did everyone feel some sympathy for the "enemy"?

I enjoyed the first episode. Solid acting. Interesting take on an old story. I would say the best part was they were doing some really interesting things with the action scenes and the ways the cameras shot them. Almost a more realistic verson of the slow down speed up cam for emphasis on the violence. I will definately be checking out episode 2

ETA: I think I LURVE the male lead, "Phillip" - He's got a nerdy look to him, something like the Michael Weston character from Burn Notice, but he out Michael Weston's Michael Weston1 in how he can put on a character with a wig, slide into any situation to get what he needs, and kick the shit out of anyone who gets in the way. He's kinda poignant too, being tempted by Reagan's America, dancing in a mall in cowboy boots, and in love with his spy wife.

ETA: Oh, wait. "Phillip" a/k/a Matthew Rhys, is originally from Wales, which we know does nto exist2.

1. Huh? The actor Michael Weston, was only on Burn Notice for 1 ep. He did not play the character Michael Weston, that is Jeffrey Donovan who was also on The Pretender. J/K

I think Rhys looked like Julian McMahon when he was just being Phillip. He really looked different when he had wigs on. I did not realize it was him, when he showed up at the bald guys house( even though I saw that coming) until he started talking.

2. Wait, What?

Hope you set it for around 100 minutes, 'cuz it went long and the ending is killah. I'm in total love with this series so far.

IIRC Run time on-line is about 1:09 (without ads)

why is this not available On Demand?? I was looking forward to seeing this but missed the premiere.

Its online at both Hulu, and FXnetwork.com

I really like the show. It was cool, When did Keri Russell become sexy? she was always cute, but I have seen her be sexy before. I think she did really good job acting (never thought that before either).

What do you mean "the enemy"? It's kinda hard to view ANY protagonist as the "enemy" even IF one were to give into such nationalistic delineations.

IMHO, FB was referring to "the Enemy" in the context of the show, where sleeper cells are embedded within the host country. If we were in Moscow watching this, then an embedded U.S. sleeper cell would be considered "the Enemy."

I don't think she means to shoot any Soviets on sight (were she to find one,) but she can probably speak for herself.

ETA: I think you're being rather severe on Keri Russell too, so there.

What do you mean "the enemy"? It's kinda hard to view ANY protagonist as the "enemy" even IF one were to give into such nationalistic delineations.

As Tears said, who else is the 'enemy' except the embedded Russian spies?

Not being an American, I don't view the FBI as the enemy. :P

I dunno, probably KGB high command and the DoJ douche who broke into their garage.

Relic, that's an interesting way to look at it, but IMHO the central characters are the husband and wife, not their control, and most people would know it was them I was referring to, since the program is about sleeper spies in America. The FBI agent is their enemy, yes, but every single person in the USA is also their enemy, are they not? I wasn't asking if viewers had sympathy for everyone in the USA. :)

why is this not available On Demand?? I was looking forward to seeing this but missed the premiere.

*goes to find when it's airing again

F/X is horrible when it comes to On Demand. Their shows either aren't available at all or they don't put up all episodes. Our cable fucked up twice during the show and all we recorded for about ten minutes was a bunch of pixellated garbage. I've got it set to rerecord Tuesday night.

I liked the pilot a lot. The male lead was strong. Felicity was pretty good. The show definitely has potential.

why did the guy in the trunk comply when he was signaled to be silent? And why was the spy waiting in the dark with a gun at the end?

I liked it alot, very cool premise, walked the fine line between boring realism and fun action thrills (as Homeland showed, it's very easy to go off the rails with implausibility and contrivance with these sorts of shows).

Music was awesome.

I enjoy spy shows so I gave it a watch online and liked it all right. I like that they set it in the 80s and they do seem to have done a good job with capturing some of the details of that period - like the Guess jeans! And its funny how it really points out just how much has changed in these few decades because all I could think about as they dumped the body was today you'd have to be worrying about video cameras on street corners capturing your every move. I'll keep watching it for now.

Archived