The Americans

Fragile Bird

I am really hoping Martha tells Clark about her exposure at work, and then Clark disposes of her.

But more likely, she tells her work that she has been helping her husband spy on the FBI and then the FBI sets up a sting to arrest him. I think they might end the season with Phillip/Clark almost being or being arrested.

Well. The ANC liked to kill that way. Necklacing, it was called, iirc. In fact, Mandela's ex-wife was accused of exacting revenge on some of her enemies by having them necklaced.

Yeah, I recall that. I felt physically ill during that scene.

This is SUCH a good show. I hardly know where to start when I try to recall striking and dramatic scenes. The last one, though, between Philip/Clark and Martha was particularly riveting. You can almost see "Clark's" wheels turning as he assesses the threat.

And I loved how Arkady brushed off Oleg's dad when they were talking about Oleg having to go back to Russia. :lol:

Have you gone to the FX site, FB, to watch the extras? It's pretty fascinating.

Yeah, I recall that. I felt physically ill during that scene.

This is SUCH a good show. I hardly know where to start when I try to recall striking and dramatic scenes. The last one, though, between Philip/Clark and Martha was particularly riveting. You can almost see "Clark's" wheels turning as he assesses the threat.

And I loved how Arkady brushed off Oleg's dad when they were talking about Oleg having to go back to Russia. :lol:

Have you gone to the FX site, FB, to watch the extras? It's pretty fascinating.

Oh? The FX site has extras? Thanks! I'll go look!

I think the second season is better than the first, but it's not a drastic leap or anything. If you're not into after the first half dozen episodes it might just not be for you.

That's exactly where I'm at. Season 1/Episode 7. It's not that I dislike it, just don't have any desire to binge this one yet.

the south africa plotline isn't working for me

I guess it's an attempt to garner sympathy with the viewer for their actions (as if the Soviets cared about apartheid lol)

I imagine South Africa, as with Central America, is just there to give Philip and Elizabeth's reasons for being veracity, as those were big hot spots during the '80s.

Of course the Soviet Union wouldn't care about apartheid. But individuals like Elizabeth would.

I believe the whole South Africa thing is that the US supported the reigning gov'mt, and USSR supported anything that was against the US or its allies. Whether it is true or not doesn't really matter.

I still think this show is very good, well acted, but the storylines aren't pulling me in like they use to.

the south africa plotline isn't working for me

I guess it's an attempt to garner sympathy with the viewer for their actions (as if the Soviets cared about apartheid lol)

Or you know, actually reflecting history. It seems by your comments that you are pretty unaware of what went down during the 80'ies.

The US/Soviet conflict mainly took place through proxy wars in South- and Central America, Africa, and Asia. To ignore that in the show would be to ignore the whole context of the situation for supposed Soviet spies in America. Depicting Reagan supporting racists and fascist regimes and movements abroad is not an attempt to discredit Reagan, rather staying true to history.

What've you got against Martha?! :lol: You've been doggin' her for over a week, I think.

More like since the beginning. I've never liked her character. I actually don't think she brings that much to the show.

Archived