The Americans

Fragile Bird

I don't want to be a pain-in-the-ass, but I feel like constantly pushing this show on new folks. I really, REALLY don't want it to go away for lack of viewership. Too many shows I've gotten invested in have fallen by the wayside. I know it's been renewed for a second season, but it just seems as though not too many folks on this board have tried it out.

I don't want to be a pain-in-the-ass, but I feel like constantly pushing this show on new folks. I really, REALLY don't want it to go away for lack of viewership. Too many shows I've gotten invested in have fallen by the wayside. I know it's been renewed for a second season, but it just seems as though not too many folks on this board have tried it out.

I've been really impressed with it so far. The overall quality of the cast is excellent, and I was really happy to hear season two is going to happen. I was really disappointed when Terriers and Rubicon failed to generate enough viewship to continue, and I think this show has the potential to be better than either of those shows.

One thing I'm interested in now that the length of the show has been expanded is whether or not the Jennings will flip and become double agents. They've certainly planted that seed, it'll be interesting to see if this is something that happens at all or if they maintain the tension of having the enemy right across the street picking up the morning paper in his bathrobe, coffee in hand.

Plus its just cool to see a show shot in the early 1980s and really capture that era. I was too young to remember it but it fits what I'd expect from family photos and general stuff you pick up in pop culture. Also loving the vehicles, my first car was 1975 Brown Plymouth Valiant, one of which was used in episode 2 or 3. The shots of the interior brought on a wave of nostalgia.

I never saw Terriers, but I was hooked on Rubicon. Rubicon was definitely the kind of show that you needed to devote serious attention to, but I thought it was well worth the effort. I was crushed when I learned it wasn't renewed.

I'm also strangely attracted to Phillip (Matthew Rhys.) I never found him attractive in Brothers and Sisters, but seeing him in this series makes me rethink my tastes. And the funny part is I think he's most attractive in the chessy wigs. What the hell is up with that??

I'm also strangely attracted to Phillip (Matthew Rhys.) I never found him attractive in Brothers and Sisters, but seeing him in this series makes me rethink my tastes. And the funny part is I think he's most attractive in the chessy wigs. What the hell is up with that??

His sources seem to like the wigs too! I like how the Jennings can just seduce at will--I wonder if they've ever brought the wigs under their own roof to spice things up...

LOL about the wigs. I found him incredibly hot in Brothers and Sisters and he's even more magnificent in The Americans. I love that he's on this show. I know what the actor is capable of. It was the same kind of "OMG" I had when Michael C. Hall was cast as Dexter (after seeing his performance on Six Feet Under).

So this gets better? I kinda bailed after the pilot (I know, I know, never fair). It started off great but by the time the credits rolled every aspect seemed pretty by-the-numbers. Not to mention that abortion of a scene in the garage ("No. You can't kill him." "But..vengeance!" "Fine, kill him." "Meh..." "But wait, now Imust kill him!").

If the plotting is tight I might give it another go. Just seemed pretty predictable + karate fights/week.

So this gets better? I kinda bailed after the pilot (I know, I know, never fair). It started off great but by the time the credits rolled every aspect seemed pretty by-the-numbers. Not to mention that abortion of a scene in the garage ("No. You can't kill him." "But..vengeance!" "Fine, kill him." "Meh..." "But wait, now Imust kill him!").

If the plotting is tight I might give it another go. Just seemed pretty predictable + karate fights/week.

Well, that scene made it abundantly clear that while Elizabeth's loyalties are to the KGB (or at least were at that time - who knows what they are now), Phillip's loyalties were to Elizabeth. That's what makes him so bitter as the show progresses.

I never saw Terriers, but I was hooked on Rubicon. Rubicon was definitely the kind of show that you needed to devote serious attention to, but I thought it was well worth the effort. I was crushed when I learned it wasn't renewed.

Terriers is still worth watching as the ending of season 1 was a fairly good series ender. I still consider it the best single season of television I've watched. So good.

LOL I'm the complete opposite of you. I absolutely hate his hair in the Americans. Like I really fixate on it and can't stop thinking about how much I hate it. I much prefer his hair on Brothers and Sisters.

Philip and Elizabeth's marriage can NEVER work out. N-E-V-E-R. Makes you wonder how they managed to have two kids in the midst of such craziness.

So was the son of Philip's old girlfriend actually Philip's son? Fairly evident he was, IMO.

Philip and Elizabeth's marriage can NEVER work out. N-E-V-E-R. Makes you wonder how they managed to have two kids in the midst of such craziness.

So was the son of Philip's old girlfriend actually Philip's son? Fairly evident he was, IMO.

I couldn't tell... I thought at the train station she was implying that he wasn't, but only because Phillip wouldn't go with her. I was shocked when he hit her, I mean, I was thinking, shit, he's about to hit her, but when he did it it still shocked me. It only made sense later.

The son-- I'm not sure. I'm watching the repeat again right now and will definitely pay more attention. The best evidence for him being real, imo, was Phillip's reaction upon returning home.

Great episode.

I was thinking the same thing last night. They have been together almost 20 years. That is a long time. They could never have waited until now to start having chemistry together. They would have been having the conversation about "can we try to be a real couple?" many years ago.

When she first mentioned having a son my immediate through was it was Philip's, just by the way she mentioned him. But then when she mentioned disappearing and asking Philip to go with her, I thought maybe this was a KGB test and the son was mentioned as his as bait.

Basically I can see it going either way. And I wouldn't be surprised if the show didn't even know at this point. Maybe they'll wait to see what use it might have in a future episode.

That's interesting. It **could** go either way. The KGB may still suspect Philip and figure that's the best way to catch him. She seemed sincere, but Philip hasn't seen her in a long time. Who knows what's going on in her life now. And the kid **could** be Philips, and that relationship would be the perfect leverage to push the two of them into doing all sorts of things.

Tough life. Who do you trust.

Archived