The Shieldhall

Jslay427

I think she just panicked at the "news" that Stannis was dead and went running to look into her fires for answers from R'hllor.

This isn't a situation she is on top of imo.

This. I think she was caught off guard by the news and panicked that the savior was lost.

I also agree :cool4: Most. Harmonious. Thread. Ever.

Let me be the jerk who screws it up then. From what I remember she considered Jon to be a non-beleiver by nature and that like most of his ilk he would come to his senses too late. She told him to come to her once he got his answers. She told him to come, she was probaly hoping he would but she could not rule out that he would not. She was at the back of the hall where she could get out the quickest. She had been warning Jon about something like this for a while(an attempt on his life, by his comrades). So, I think she has a plan for this but it would have been better, in her mind, if he had confided in her first like she asked.

I largely agree with the majority opinion on this issue but I would like to expand on the topic . . .

I look upon everything in Jon's last chapter with suspicion and am careful about taking anything as a given. In regard to Melisandre though, I think logistical considerations come to the fore. Would the author really leave Castle Black without a POV in the aftermath of Jon's stabbing? Presuming she went to her fires precisely because of what posters suggest above, what happens then? Doesn't the story require that she stay within proximity of Jon?

That actually makes me think that Melisandre will mistakenly interpret her fires to mean that Stannis is dead because that would be the most reasonable sequence of events to explain her staying in Castle Black in place of fleeing to Stannis. It also fits her character to this point. It would, in fact, be strange if the opposite occurred; that is, if she actually interpreted her fires right for once.

One problem that she does not have is in interpeting threats to her own person. I think that is fair to say from what we have seen so far. I'm not sure how far she is willing to go in sticking out her neck for Jon at this point. The letter directly threatened her and asked for her to be turned over, if Jon complied with the demands supposedly he would not be harmed.

I think it is quite possible that she knows or beleives that Stannis is not dead. It was her job to stay at the Wall and hold down the fort while Stannis went South. I do not see her deviating from this whether she thinks he is dead or not. If he is dead and his head is on a spike at Winterfell there is nothing she can do about that. If he is alive and still fighting then she never saw him needing her there. She thought she was needed at the Wall in his absence. Dealing with something like this is exactly why she stayed.

The fact of the matter is, though, she implicitly trusts her own ability to interpret her flames, despite the fact that she is so often wrong. So, if that pattern holds, she will think Stannis dead because of something she sees in her fire (even though he is not) and move on from there. You also have to start considering whether she will start to think Jon is Azor Ahai because instead of asking to see Stannis, she will ask to see Azor Ahai, only to be flooded by repeated, and increasingly explicit, visions of Jon in that role.

When Jon reads Ramsays letter, and announces his plan, Mel and the Queens men leave the hall. Is Mel counting on Jon dying and then reviving him in order to make him indebted to her?

I was thinking (or perhaps hoping) that she left to free Ghost.

I think she's heading straight to her flames to take a peek what the hell just happened, like Ser Wun Wun said.

Ya, I'm very curious to learn what happens exactly after the last knife stabs Jon. Who will do what ( queens men, wildings, Jons allies)

Wun Wun is already enraged. Only a few of the Queen's men were in the Shieldhall to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if they started attacking Wun Wun for Ser Patrek's death. Which might provoke a response from Tormund's Wildlings.

There is also a theory which states that someone will set the Shieldhall on fire with the Wildlings still trapped within.

At any rate I predict fighting in the next scenes we see or hear about.

I think she's heading straight to her flames to take a peek what the hell just happened, like Ser Wun Wun said.

Wun Wun is already enraged. Only a few of the Queen's men were in the Shieldhall to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if they started attacking Wun Wun for Ser Patrek's death. Which might provoke a response from Tormund's Wildlings.

There is also a theory which states that someone will set the Shieldhall on fire with the Wildlings still trapped within.

At any rate I predict fighting in the next scenes we see or hear about.

I've been worried that someone may burn the Shieldhall with the Wildlings trapped inside as well. Hope it doesn't happen.

I was thinking (or perhaps hoping) that she left to free Ghost.

She has warned Jon to keep him close and knew that Jon was in danger.

If she did, might she know that Jon could have warged into Ghost, thus preserving his memories? So she could revive him, but unlike Beric Dondarrion, he would not suffer all the side effects that the Lord of the BWB did.

I want to see what happens when a warg is brought back to life. Does Beric not say the longer you are out the less of yourself you are? so Jon would have been "alive" the whole time.

I'm also worried this PtwP and AAR turns out to be bull. We get a hero at the end but not one prophecized

• 3 months later...

I think she just panicked at the "news" that Stannis was dead and went running to look into her fires for answers from R'hllor.

:agree:

I just thought of this reading this thread and I don't know if this is one of the 100 possible answers for the pink waxed letter Ramsay sent but I think Mel wrote it. She can see what kind of person Ramsay is in her fires and sending that letter to Jon gets him to do everything she wants him to do and everything stannis wants him to do. The letter gets him to come to her and as we know he was going to. Say she knew they were gonna attack him then too so she leaves to get ready to save him after. But now a saved Jon wakes up and kills all those who betrayed him, plunders the armory and takes his wild(ling) army and kills all the boltons and becomes THE KING IN THE NORTH

Archived