Small questions v.10001

Angalin

I have a random question that popped in my head the other day

Other than Craster, was it ever stated if there were other Wildlings who refused to join Mance Rayder? I can't remember talk of any but it might be something I overlooked.

so i was looking through the noble houses listed on the wiki and noticed that House Hightower has a lot of houses sworn to them even other noble houses such as Mullendore' date=' Costayne, Bulwer, Beesbury, and Cuy.

Obviously not all houses listed as noble are equals, but are there other instances of noble houses being sworn to another noble house in the same fashion?[/quote']

Just to expand further on Apple Martini's excellent answer to this in the last thread...

In feudalism you have different ranks of lords so, for example, a baron would be sworn to a count/earl who may have themselves been sworn to a duke. The duke would be sworn to the king himself. All of these nobles would be styled Lord [title].

It's the same in Westeros, except they don't (seem to) have distinct titles for the ranks.

Okay, this is a small question but I keep thinking of it (propably was already answered).

So if Tysha wasn't actually a whore as Jaime tells Tyrion when releasing him from the cells, wouldn't Tyrion have known that when she was given to the Lannister guards? I mean, I just can't imagine her being used without saying or doing anything, or possibly enjoying it. So either she WAS a whore and Jaime kind of double-lied to Tyrion, or she wasn't originally but the money from Tywin was more important than the love for Tyrion, or she DID "fight back" or express discomfort, but Tyrion was just too shocked to realise it.

Thanks for your answers :)

Okay, this is a small question but I keep thinking of it (propably was already answered).

So if Tysha wasn't actually a whore as Jaime tells Tyrion when releasing him from the cells, wouldn't Tyrion have known that when she was given to the Lannister guards? I mean, I just can't imagine her being used without saying or doing anything, or possibly enjoying it. So either she WAS a whore and Jaime kind of double-lied to Tyrion, or she wasn't originally but the money from Tywin was more important than the love for Tyrion, or she DID "fight back" or express discomfort, but Tyrion was just too shocked to realise it.

Whore or not, I don't think anyone would be able to feign enjoyment at being given to 50 guardsmen in a row.

It isn't like she was laying on a bed waiting for the next one to come in. I am pretty sure she was thrown to the "guards" and raped. There isn't much to think about.

she DID "fight back" or express discomfort, but Tyrion was just too shocked to realise it.

Based on what Tyrion told Sansa of his previous marriage, Tysha was left bleeding following the gang rape. "According to his account, his wife was Lady Tysha of House Silverfist. Their arms have one gold coin and a hundred silver, upon a bloody sheet." I would count this an an obvious sign of discomfort and a clue that she needed medical attention following the ordeal.

Thanks for your answers, I just thought that this might have convinced Tyrion that she is not in fact a whore since she doesn't "enjoy" it.

But of course

Whore or not, I don't think anyone would be able to feign enjoyment at being given to 50 guardsmen in a row.

is right.

Random question: I'm still on Clash of Kings, but I was reading a lot of forums that were saying that pretty much nothing happens for the next 3 books. Is this true? Should I keep reading up to Dance With Dragons? I am really enjoying the books so far, but don't see the point of reading if he doesn't progress the storyline too far :/

Random question: I'm still on Clash of Kings, but I was reading a lot of forums that were saying that pretty much nothing happens for the next 3 books. Is this true? Should I keep reading up to Dance With Dragons? I am really enjoying the books so far, but don't see the point of reading if he doesn't progress the storyline too far :/

Depends on the the person, but I think you should read the other books.

Storm and Dance are my favourite books and I got the image that many people in this forum love ASoS, too.

AFfC was my least favourite books, and the storylines of some characters are not that interesting, but it´s still good (Arya for example has a great story in AFfC, the same applies for some new great characters and some really existing stuff happens

The storyline progresses, too. SoS changes the game completly and the end of Dance changes it again

The third book, A Storm of Swords, is faster paced than any of the others and A LOT apens, so you certainly read that. It's true that books four and five are slower, but things do happen and I still enjoyed them.

My small question: what are the words of House Frey?

The third book, A Storm of Swords, is extremely action-packed. The fourth and fifth books — A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons — take place in roughly the same time, just in different locations. The fourth book is quite slower-paced than Storm, but it does contain a lot of interesting and very pertinent information. And the fifth book, so long as it's not over in Meereen, is just wonderful. So yes, do read all of the books.

Apple Martini said:

"Almost all, if not all, ironborn go through the drowning ritual, I'm pretty sure. It's a religious rite like a baptism. So a "drowned crow" could be interpreted as an ironborn with crow imagery somewhere — namely Euron Crow's Eye. Nothing to do with Aeron"

Well this is a new thought to me. I always thought it was Euron as well, paying a Faceless Man. However it is not true that most ironborn go through the drowning ritual according to Aeron. Mostly they have a little seawater dribbled on their heads.

Not sure where the crow imagery comes from if it isnt Crows Eye. I'll have to reread that (again!). I did think it was as you describe and not sure what set me off on that tangent.

Depends on the the person, but I think you should read the other books.

Storm and Dance are my favourite books and I got the image that many people in this forum love ASoS, too.

AFfC was my least favourite books, and the storylines of some characters are not that interesting, but it´s still good (Arya for example has a great story in AFfC, the same applies for some new great characters and some really existing stuff happens

The storyline progresses, too. SoS changes the game completly and the end of Dance changes it again

I agree with Lady of Whispers, continue to read. If you don't you will miss very important developments to the storyline as well as the feel for characters change and growth. My first reading of the series was following the story, 2nd reading brought understanding of whys and hows and the deapth or shallowness of each character. 2nd reading sharpened awareness of the game and the hints embedded by GRRM. These books are multilayered and I might be slow but it took two readings to gain a good understanding of what was written and implied. Hope you continue to enjoy. :cool4:

Reading the other books:

There is so much more to this series than "action" - character development, plot development, and these things make the action felt so much more deeply. For me anyway. I am rereading AFFC again. The physical action seems dull but there is a lot going on.

Well of you enjoy the books, keep on reading them until you don't enjoy it anymore. I personally didn't feel like the story of 4 & 5 was slow at all, but I'm a fast reader (too fast, I don't process everything, so I'm rereading now, also on aCoK at the moment) so maybe it just didn't feel slow to me.

However it is not true that most ironborn go through the drowning ritual according to Aeron. Mostly they have a little seawater dribbled on their heads.

That's true, but it doesn't make it any less of a ritual.

Only the priests seem to be actually drowned and revived, in any case.

Reading the other books:

There is so much more to this series than "action" - character development, plot development, and these things make the action felt so much more deeply. For me anyway. I am rereading AFFC again. The physical action seems dull but there is a lot going on.

Couldnt agree more! Keep reading, you wont regret it.

Archived