Small questions v.10001

Angalin

I asked this in the last thread, but it was closed not too long after so I don't think it got answered;

was there any mention of wildlings other than Craster who notably did not join Mance on his march to the wall? I can't remember if there was.

I asked this in the last thread, but it was closed not too long after so I don't think it got answered;

was there any mention of wildlings other than Craster who notably did not join Mance on his march to the wall? I can't remember if there was.

Not that I can recall by specific mention. I believe most of the known population centers are disappearing (and joining Mance's party).

Something to think about.

If Jaime is being lured by Brienne to the Brotherhood Without Banners, will he executed without a trial or will he be allowed a trial by combat? Is there any honor left in Lady Stoneheart? After all, she has only died once. Perhaps there will be a trial by combat between Jaime and Brienne.

I ask these questions because I'm thinking Jaime has actually regained his form and can now fight as well with his left hand as he did with his right. At some point he has to show it. There seems to be some sort of deep emotional connection between him and Brienne, which would make a trial by combat between the two a very powerful scene...Nissa Nissa-esque.

If Jaime is being lured by Brienne to the Brotherhood Without Banners, will he executed without a trial or will he be allowed a trial by combat? Is there any honor left in Lady Stoneheart? After all, she has only died once. Perhaps there will be a trial by combat between Jaime and Brienne.

I ask these questions because I'm thinking Jaime has actually regained his form and can now fight as well with his left hand as he did with his right. At some point he has to show it. There seems to be some sort of deep emotional connection between him and Brienne, which would make a trial by combat between the two a very powerful scene...Nissa Nissa-esque.

You make a good point - all those scenes with him training with Ser Ilyn aren't just fluff. He'll have to show his fighting skills at some point, though I'm not sure he is back to his normal skill level (per his last fight with Ilyn, he's still a long way off from being one of the most feared knights).

A question that this potential trial by combat brings up: in such trials, are participants required to fight to the death? (Though obviously UnCat could stop it at any time - I'm talking normally.)

Do Faceless Men kill for rewards? I never got that impression.

You mean in return for payment? I'm pretty sure it is explicitly said that they do - but it is very costly.

Yes, it's a been hypocritical (though with good reason) that they can be paid by others to kill, but can't choose their own targets as Arya would like.

Another question.

Why and how was Jaqen H'ghar imprisoned to begin with? What was his reason for being in Westeros?

It's seems rather unprofessional for a FM to be captured while on a mission, unless being caught was a part of the mission.

We don't know. Although I can hazard a guess that he was there because he wanted to be. But why? No idea. And anyone else claiming to know, doesn't.

It's my opinion (opinion rather than fact) that Euron paid the Faceless Men a dragon egg to kill Balon. Therefore he lost nothing of consequence to himself, to ensure a killing that would look accidental.

You make a good point - all those scenes with him training with Ser Ilyn aren't just fluff. He'll have to show his fighting skills at some point, though I'm not sure he is back to his normal skill level (per his last fight with Ilyn, he's still a long way off from being one of the most feared knights).

A question that this potential trial by combat brings up: in such trials, are participants required to fight to the death? (Though obviously UnCat could stop it at any time - I'm talking normally.)

I think trials by combat are to the death. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 that take place, all of which end in death: Dondarrion vs the Hound, Bronn vs Vardis Eden and the Mountain vs the Red Viper.

You mean in return for payment? I'm pretty sure it is explicitly said that they do - but it is very costly.

Yes, it's a been hypocritical (though with good reason) that they can be paid by others to kill, but can't choose their own targets as Arya would like.

Jaime it is not even near his old self. If he fight Brienne the only thing stoping her to kill him in 2 seconds would be herself.

I propably missed something, but I thought Brienne was dead... didn't she get hanged by the Brotherhood? I do remember a Jaime POV in ADWD where I think Brienne was mentioned, but I thought of her as a fake since we had a POV of her death... Please anybody point it out to me :)

(asking because of the questions in here regarding a fight between Jaime and Brienne)

I propably missed something, but I thought Brienne was dead... didn't she get hanged by the Brotherhood? I do remember a Jaime POV in ADWD where I think Brienne was mentioned, but I thought of her as a fake since we had a POV of her death... Please anybody point it out to me :)

UnCat gives Brienne a choice, hang or kill Jaime Lannister, "sword or rope". As the scene ends, Brienne screams something, an unheard word, just as she is losing consciousness. GRRM later revealed the word she shouted was "sword". Also Jaime was last seen leaving Blackwood(?) with a women thought to be Brienne.

(asking because of the questions in here regarding a fight between Jaime and Brienne)

She was hanging and she screen something (sword) and the chapter ended. Her appareance in the ADWD proved that she was not dead.

She acpeted the proposal unCAt made her and trade Jaime life for her own (and Pod life also, I hope with all my heart.)

UnCat gives Brienne a choice, hang or kill Jaime Lannister, "sword or rope". As the scene ends, Brienne screams something, an unheard word, just as she is losing consciousness. GRRM later revealed the word she shouted was "sword". Also Jaime was last seen leaving Blackwood(?) with a women thought to be Brienne.

Alright, maybe it was the German translation that screwed it up. Glad I'm reading ADWD in English :D

How will Dany get her dragons across to Westeros?

They're getting pretty big, mayhaps too big and dangerous to chain to a ship. They could fly, but can dragons 'follow' without riders (of which Dany lacks)? And do dragons need to rest and eat, or can they fly, malnourished, for days?

How will Dany get her dragons across to Westeros?

They're getting pretty big, mayhaps too big and dangerous to chain to a ship. They could fly, but can dragons 'follow' without riders (of which Dany lacks)? And do dragons need to rest and eat, or can they fly, malnourished, for days?

We don't know and any answer would be highly speculative. If they are feeling peaceful, then they could be chained to ships, but it seems extremely risky considering that ships burn. Maybe they would follow their mother. Maybe Tyrion knows a helpful tidbit of intel that would make them follow their mother. Maybe Dany will recruit two more dragonriders. Maybe Dany will use the dragonhorn. Maybe dragons have enough endurance for a trip around the world without needing to refuel even once. Maybe not...

I think if you want to discuss it in detail, this question merits its own thread and (ETA) if you search the forum, maybe you'll even find one.

After I saw Sansa's "my skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel" quote for the thousandth time, it hit me. How in the world does Sansa Stark know what porcelain is? It came to Europe from China, but in Westeros, it doesn't seem like a similar technique has been imported from Yi Ti or whatever. I can't think of a single item made from porcelain in the books. Their tableware is made from metal or glass, dolls are from textiles. I just looked at the wiki and concordance at the Citadel, and it doesn't seem like porcelain items were mentioned anywhere in the books, so it's not just me. No cities or people are mentioned to be famous for their porcelain. It's only mentioned by Sansa and Tyrion when he describes Marei's "porcelain skin". Have I just missed something, maybe some information from ADWD that is yet to be added to the online resources like the wiki? Or is it just a stupid anachronism?

I believe Illyrio has imported wine from Yi Ti. It's quite possible that porcellain has made its way along the same trade routes. That there are two different mentions (Sansa and Tyrion) seems to indicate that the existence of porcellain is suppoed to be known to the characters (not just an oversight).

Archived