A Memory of Light [FULL SPOILER DISCUSSION] Part 2

Stubby

I'm confused about Faile's betrayal. So did the Aes Sedai intentionally send them to the Blight, or was it an accident caused by the Bubble of Evil?

I am 90% sure this is answered in the book but I can't remember it, or Aravine's role (beyond being a Darkfriend). I presume she told a Black Sister that they had the HOV?

I'm confused about Faile's betrayal. So did the Aes Sedai intentionally send them to the Blight, or was it an accident caused by the Bubble of Evil?

I am 90% sure this is answered in the book but I can't remember it, or Aravine's role (beyond being a Darkfriend). I presume she told a Black Sister that they had the HOV?

I don't recall ever seeing a specific answer on the question of exactly how they got sent to the Blight. I don't even recall for certain if Aravine knew they were carring the Horn of Valere prior to Faile announcing it to all the worms in the blight.

Speaking of the Horn, I'm still amazed that Egwene Al'Vere wasn't returned by the call of the Horn of Valere. I would have thought that her actions against the Seanchen and uniting the tower and then her flame of awesomeness would have tied her to the horn as a hero. :dunno:

Speaking of the Horn, I'm still amazed that Egwene Al'Vere wasn't returned by the call of the Horn of Valere. I would have thought that her actions against the Seanchen and uniting the tower and then her flame of awesomeness would have tied her to the horn as a hero. :dunno:

Being a hero of the horn isn't all great. Your soul is pretty much stuck repeating the same life over and over again instead of getting to be reborn normally and do whatever. I mean they get to hang out in the dreamworld and chillax in between lives but that's about it.

Being a hero of the horn isn't all great. Your soul is pretty much stuck repeating the same life over and over again instead of getting to be reborn normally and do whatever. I mean they get to hang out in the dreamworld and chillax in between lives but that's about it.

Plus, it turns out not even the Dragon Reborn is tied to the Horn (from a Q&A). The Wheel has other corrective mechanisms, maybe Egwene's one of 'em.

So theoretically if the Horn had been blown during the Trolloc Wars, as an example, Rand (or I guess Lews Therin) would have shown up. Seems like an OP-wielding Hero would be basically like Dr. Manhattan on the battlefield.

One thing that always bothered me was the question of why the Heroes appeared the way they did. Why Artur Hawkwing and not his previous incarnation? I assume it isn't just whatever they last looked like, as it seemed Birgitte and Gaidal had "permanent" looks in TAR

So theoretically if the Horn had been blown during the Trolloc Wars, as an example, Rand (or I guess Lews Therin) would have shown up. Seems like an OP-wielding Hero would be basically like Dr. Manhattan on the battlefield.

One thing that always bothered me was the question of why the Heroes appeared the way they did. Why Artur Hawkwing and not his previous incarnation? I assume it isn't just whatever they last looked like, as it seemed Birgitte and Gaidal had "permanent" looks in TAR

I would assume that Heroes cannot use Saidin/Saidar. Otherwise even a relatively weak channeler would be virtually unstoppable.

Did anyone ever ask if a Hero of the Horn could be Balefired? If so, would that just eliminate them until the horn was sounded again?

I thought it was their most recent incarnation - presumably Birgitte and Gaidal are the most recent incarnations of those two particular souls.

Audiobook pronounces it as Bay-oh the Wihld (short i). Don't know if that's official, and I wouldn't trust it personally. There were two speakers and they had some inconsistencies on pronouncing names between them. I can't give you an example now, but it annoyed me at the time.

One of my favorite scenes was Morraine's appearance and Rand showing deference to her. I very much liked how those reconciliations were made. I do wish we would have had a bit more Rand/Mat/Perrin interaction (I actually thought the Rand-Mat one upping scene was comical in a good way. It showed Rand could still be light hearted.).

EDIT: Lan kicking ass is awesome as always, but I am a sucker for bad ass asskickers. I do think we saw much more of a progression of Lan as a leader in this book though.

When the book began I was thinking, "oh no, this is weird and doesn't feel right." But that feeling did not last long and I ultimately enjoyed the book very much.

Just because people don't know Rand survived doesn't mean they will never know. I think he has at least earned a bit of a respite from everyones' attentions.

For me it has been almost exactly 11 years since I started the series, actually feels pretty good to be done as none of my other major series seem close to completion.

I liked Moiraine's appearance too, but was her presence really necessary? Min tells us that Rand will "almost certainly" fail without her, and Mat is prophecied by both Min and the Finns to give up his eye to save the world, which was apparently fulfilled when he rescued her. But what exactly did she do that was so necessary to save the world?

- Help Rand at Merrilor? Maybe, but Rand probably would have succeeded even without the Peace, albeit with less left to salvage and multiple friends/lovers short. I say this because he took his own loyal forces to Shayol Ghul, and Mat and Perrin could have stayed there with him to do what they needed to do.

- Go into SG with Rand as part of his circle? Again, maybe, but there's nothing that indicates this had to be her rather than Cadsuane or Alivia or Egwene or Elayne or Aviendha.

- Cause Thom to guard his back and kill the Black Sisters trying to enter SG? I don't think so, because a. Thom may very well have done this even without Moiraine, b. it was pretty stupid of the Sisters to not kill Thom on the way in, which they could easily have done, and c. although it was a great scene there is no need for this to be Thom in particular.

- Something else?

Archived