A Memory of Light [FULL SPOILER DISCUSSION] Part 2

Stubby

I feel like the whole Shara thing could easily have been foreshadowed adequately but Jordan just decided not to bother out of sheer contrariness.

"Everyone's trying to figure out where Demandred is? Let's just not write about him at all, lol."

Chalk me up in the column of people who would really like to see some of the prophecies surrounding Bao the Wyld. We got plenty of hints of the Seanchen prophecies, I would think that a few rambling lines from Noal talking about the Sharan's belief in a savior who would destroy the world to remake it or even just a couple of those intro lines in the books could have set things up a bit better.

I agree that Shara was the only logical conclusion and it made no sense that they would have been left out of the conflict entirely, but I would have expected at least a hint or two of their cryptic prophecies. :dunno:

I feel like the whole Shara thing could easily have been foreshadowed adequately but Jordan just decided not to bother out of sheer contrariness.

"Everyone's trying to figure out where Demandred is? Let's just not write about him at all, lol."

Fairly certain that Demandred flat-out told someone (or at least heavily implied) he was in Shara but it was dismissed as basically "Too obvious."

Or cause it was supposed to be a big surprise.

Re: Bao the Wyld, Sanderson said in torchat that it was a play on Beowulf. Hence the Dragonslayer. IMHO, Shara was one of the territories that was occupied by the Shadow during the War of Power and they were following a Dark prophecy.

Personally, I thought that Demandred was in Shara after one of the other Forsaken said something about the clever positioning of the triumvirate of Mesaana - Demandred - Semiraghe. It just made sense considering where the 2 women were.

I do think that inclusion of Graendal's thoughts about Shara in... ACOS? as something, where she performed her quick sabotage move of kidnapping the figurehead rulers, but otherwise not worthy of particular interest was a bit of a jerk move, though.

Particularly since from everything else we have heard about the place - and most of it was in that awfully illustrated White Book, Shara practically begged to be snapped up by one of the military-savvy Forsaken.

Well, I bloody loved it!

Yeah, there were things that could have had a bit more time spent on them, but with so many characters it was always going to be hard to wrap all the storylines up completely.

This was one of my favourite books of the lot. I loved the battles from the strategic point of view. Great watching the Prince of Ravens play.

11 months ago I hadn't read a word of the series, but after re-reading my ASoIaF books again I went looking for something else. It has probably been a different experience for me as I just read them all one after the other (apart from the 2 month break waiting for this final book).

I haven't read all the thread yet, but just on a couple of things. I thought Demandred being in Shara was great. As soon as they turned up, I realised what a fool I'd been not to realise it already.

Rand did ride off, but I got the impression he will see all his ladies, the lucky boy.

Mat Cauthon is one of the greatest book characters ever. It's a fact.

I know it's always best to leave things up to out imagination, but I want to know what the start of the 4th age will be like. How will everyone sort everything out. Will the Seanchan stick to the treaty? Will the Black Tower teach the White Tower to lighten up a bit?

I love Androl and Pevara. They have been great in MoL. Just one thing. Who is Androl? I know there are theories, but was there anything more concrete that I missed?

I don't see why Demandred in Shara was a surprise. As has been said, that's the only place left. He's a general, so he needs an army. And he had to be somewhere that he could become (almost) and equal to LTT. This isn't some new place we're suddenly learning about, there have been tons of references to the place across the entire series. And in the giant end of the world final confrontation... he's going to leave out a third of the world? Not likely. And it was said at one point that the Sharans had their own prophesy, so why not a dark prophesy.

Jordan forshadowed a lot of stuff in more depth, but I figure this was something that he wanted to leave as "intuitively obvious."

And while I hated that Mat was doing nothing through the first half of the book, It was also pretty obvious that he was being held back until after the Sharans turned up.

It was a huge misuse of Farstrider though. The one guy who'se actually been there, but not a whisper about what it was like, or what he did.

Androl was just an Asha'man who Sanderson decided to use to put his own stamp on a character.

I think the Seanchan will stick to the treaty. Both Aviendha and Rands' visions confirm it, and with Min as the Doomsayer to Tuon now, I don't think she'd be above outright lying about a vision in order to prevent Tuon from trying to break it.

Androl was just an Asha'man who Sanderson decided to use to put his own stamp on a character.

I think the Seanchan will stick to the treaty. Both Aviendha and Rands' visions confirm it, and with Min as the Doomsayer to Tuon now, I don't think she'd be above outright lying about a vision in order to prevent Tuon from trying to break it.

You don't think he at least knew Jain? Not saying he was his son, but maybe went on adventures with him? 2nd cousin twice removed?

Or, as is my assertion, he just didn't know what the fuck was going on anymore, and lost control of the series.

That assertion makes no sense for this part. How does this in any way indicate "loosing control of the series"?

The "Demandred is in Shara" theory had alot of believers because it was the only thing that made sense given the information we already had. The series doesn't directly foreshadow it, but it lays out plenty of evidence for you if you look for it.

You don't think he at least knew Jain? Not saying he was his son, but maybe went on adventures with him? 2nd cousin twice removed?

I think you're getting Androl confused with another of the Asha'man in that group who always telling tales about the adventures he and his father went on.

Androl's history was also intriguing as he'd been a lot of places and was familiar with many lands/customs, but we never really learn more.

Archived