Prince Lewyn's Paramour

Full-Faced Braavosi

There might be some anomalies in the dating of the Defiance of Duskendale, as I keep finding references to it being earlier. The first one is based on the order of the entries of LC Ser Gerold Hightower on Ser Barristan Selmy's page in the white book. Some of the entries may be out of order. I know GRRM said that Ser Barristan made a mistake in his recollection of a tourney at Storm's End. At any rate, if there is a discrepancy in the date then maybe they will fix it. I think the only reason it is assumed to be in 276 is that is the year of the Tourney for Aerys II at Lannisport and it is said that Aerys never left the Red Keep after the Defiance of Duskendale.

The second reason it might be earlier is the discrepancy in Dontos' age:

Dontos Hollard who was the only survivor of House Hollard which was involved in the Defiance of Duskendale. Dontos was spared by King Aerys as he was a "child at the time" and Ser Barristan Selmy who had saved the King, specifically asked for Dontos to be pardoned. Ser Dontos dies in 300 AL and when Brienne is looking for him he is described as a portly knight of "40 years". This would mean he was born about 260. So, if we use this 276 date for the Defiance, he would have been 16! I don't believe 16 year old's were described as children at that age in this culture.

Anyway, if they can just shave a couple years off of that date or Darkstar's age ("late twenties" in app), my Rhaella+Lewyn=Darkstar crackpot could be true!

(I also noticed the app said his hair was ash-blond when the book says silver.)

I think the order in Barristan's White Book entry is not chronological.

Brought King Aerys II to safety during the Defiance of Duskendale, despite an arrow wound in the chest. Avenged the murder of his Sworn Brother, Ser Gwayne Gaunt.

Rescued Lady Jeyne Swann and her septa from the Kingswood Brotherhood, defeating Simon Toyne and the Smiling Knight, and slaying the former.

In the Oldtown tourney, defeated and unmasked the mystery knight Blackshield, revealing him as the Bastard of Uplands.

Sole champion of Lord Steffon’s tourney at Storm’s End, whereat he unhorsed Lord Robert Baratheon, Prince Oberyn Martell, Lord Leyton Hightower, Lord Jon Connington, Lord Jason Mallister, and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen.

The second item is the Kingswood Brotherhood where Jaime was knighted at the age of 15 by Arthur Dayne. The fourth item here is a Storms End Tourney (seems to be the one Robert held in memory of his father) which seems to be the one where Jaime won his melee at age 13. The other possibility is that it was a tournament while Steffon Baratheon still lived which places it even further back in time. An event that has Jaime 15 and a knight is placed before an event where he is 13 and a squire so I just don't see how the list can be chronological. So even though Duskendale is listed before a number of other events in the White Book it isn't informative.

Duskendale is often placed between 276 and 281 based on the line that Aerys never left the Keep after Duskendale (except for Harrenhal in the False Spring.) 276 is the year Tywin held the Casterly Rock Tournament (which is certain because of Rhaegar's and Cersei's ages) where Aerys turns down Cersei as a match for Rhaegar and 281 is the Harrenhal Tournament. It is said that Aerys hadn't left in years (plus time sort of has to pass for it to be odd that he hasn't left) so this pushes it closer to the 276 date if the two tournaments do in fact bookmark the possible timeframe for Duskendale. It is supposed to have lasted 6 months and Selmy gets wounded. Aerys sends Steffon to the Free Cities in between there, Rhaegar's marriage to Elia gets negotiated and happens between there, the Kingswood Brotherhood happens in that timeframe, as does Steffon Baratheon's memorial tournament which Barristan would have to have healed from his wounds to compete in. It is a tight timeframe to fit a 6 month siege into with clarity.

As you point out the 276 date can't really work based on Dontos being still a boy which is a more direct piece of evidence than the tournament conjecture based on a line about Aerys not leaving the Keep.

Aerys' madness is blamed on Duskendale but also on Varys. Assuming there's some vague kind of objective manifestation of that madness one would think that Duskendale and Varys' arrival are somewhat close in time. That's still only conjecture but people tend to agree that Aerys grew mad over time instead of waking up batshit crazy one Tuesday. I can't recall any objective data pointing to a firm date with Varys. Illyrio tells Tyrion that Aerys no longer trusted his Hand or his son so Tywin still has to be Hand and Rhaegar has to be sufficiently grown to be perceived as a threat if untrustworthy. Rhaegar's born in 259 so he comes of age at 16 in 275. He could be perceived as a potential threat prior to that but not by many years.

To be fair, it is Brienne who places Dontos' age around 40, around, not specifically 40, and besides Brienne admits she is bad at estimating ages. If Dontos is actually 37 years old (which would count as around 40), or 36, would he then qualify as a boy in 276AC? He'd have been about 10 or 11 years old..

To be fair, it is Brienne who places Dontos' age around 40, around, not specifically 40, and besides Brienne admits she is bad at estimating ages. If Dontos is actually 37 years old (which would count as around 40), or 36, would he then qualify as a boy in 276AC? He'd have been about 10 or 11 years old..

At 40 he'd be about 16 so at 36 he'd be around 12 which I think could qualify as "a boy." But if Duskendale gets pushed to 277 or 278 he becomes 14 which puts "boy" into a little greyer of an area even starting at him being a 36 year old 40.

Is it Brienne? I didn't think she ever laid eyes on Dontos since she and Jaime arrive in KL after the Purple Wedding. If it is Brienne who told her? I have some vague recollection of Sansa making some comparison between Dontos' and her father's age but I don't recall where. She thinks of him as old in the godswood when they first meet, but that's hard to judge too. Dondarion was old relative to marrying Jeyne Poole, but Dontos is arriving as "a protector" so it isn't clear what he's old compared to other than her own thought of Florian which isn't all that helpful.

It isn't that it can't possibly work as falling between the two Tournaments at Casterly Rock and Harrenhal, it just is a very tight timeframe and there are other events that need to be squeezed in around Duskendale which is a 6 month siege plus the surrounding circumstances. Even 276/277 makes it only 4-5 years at most that Aerys hadn't left the Keep. How often did he travel prior to that and is 4-5 years enough time to make his stagnation noteworthy for his 281 trip to Harrenhal? Or is it not a time thing but rather that Aerys looks behind tapestries for grumpkins and screams "Never!" whenever someone sends him an invitation? I suppose it could be that Keep is quite literal and he used to tour Kings Landing and stopped that practice completely which would be immediately noticeable.

Not impossible but the Dontos age factor seems to push it pretty close to the limit. Duskendale could matter for a good number of things too but whether it can matter or not depends on the when. It would be nice if we had a firm timeframe.

I have only just seen this thread and I haven't followed how it got onto the dating of Duskendale etc but I would go for someone still alive, in Dorne, as Lewyn' paramour. I think Arianne's comments imply confident knowledge not speculation.

She doesn't mention if Lewyn had any children by this woman. That could be something that creeps into the plot background.

At 40 he'd be about 16 so at 36 he'd be around 12 which I think could qualify as "a boy." But if Duskendale gets pushed to 277 or 278 he becomes 14 which puts "boy" into a little greyer of an area even starting at him being a 36 year old 40.

Is it Brienne? I didn't think she ever laid eyes on Dontos since she and Jaime arrive in KL after the Purple Wedding. If it is Brienne who told her? I have some vague recollection of Sansa making some comparison between Dontos' and her father's age but I don't recall where. She thinks of him as old in the godswood when they first meet, but that's hard to judge too. Dondarion was old relative to marrying Jeyne Poole, but Dontos is arriving as "a protector" so it isn't clear what he's old compared to other than her own thought of Florian which isn't all that helpful.

It isn't that it can't possibly work as falling between the two Tournaments at Casterly Rock and Harrenhal, it just is a very tight timeframe and there are other events that need to be squeezed in around Duskendale which is a 6 month siege plus the surrounding circumstances. Even 276/277 makes it only 4-5 years at most that Aerys hadn't left the Keep. How often did he travel prior to that and is 4-5 years enough time to make his stagnation noteworthy for his 281 trip to Harrenhal? Or is it not a time thing but rather that Aerys looks behind tapestries for grumpkins and screams "Never!" whenever someone sends him an invitation? I suppose it could be that Keep is quite literal and he used to tour Kings Landing and stopped that practice completely which would be immediately noticeable.

Not impossible but the Dontos age factor seems to push it pretty close to the limit. Duskendale could matter for a good number of things too but whether it can matter or not depends on the when. It would be nice if we had a firm timeframe.

It's not that Aerys never travelled to any keep or castle. He never left the Red Keep, meaning he never even went out into the city, for example. We see Robert leaving the Keep on multiple occasions in a short timeframe. Every King would take short trips, to the forrest for a day of rest, or to the Sept, or visiting the Gates? Aerys seems to have not done anything like this at all.

Duskendale is often placed between 276 and 281 based on the line that Aerys never left the Keep after Duskendale (except for Harrenhal in the False Spring.) 276 is the year Tywin held the Casterly Rock Tournament (which is certain because of Rhaegar's and Cersei's ages) where Aerys turns down Cersei as a match for Rhaegar and 281 is the Harrenhal Tournament. It is said that Aerys hadn't left in years (plus time sort of has to pass for it to be odd that he hasn't left) so this pushes it closer to the 276 date if the two tournaments do in fact bookmark the possible timeframe for Duskendale. It is supposed to have lasted 6 months and Selmy gets wounded. Aerys sends Steffon to the Free Cities in between there, Rhaegar's marriage to Elia gets negotiated and happens between there, the Kingswood Brotherhood happens in that timeframe, as does Steffon Baratheon's memorial tournament which Barristan would have to have healed from his wounds to compete in. It is a tight timeframe to fit a 6 month siege into with clarity.

As to the timeline:

Tywin held his tourney in 276AC. Aerys refused the match and went home. Keep this in mind.

Rhaegar and Elia had their first child in 280AC, meaning that they got married in 279AC the latest. This means that Steffon and Cassana left for Essos before this moment, and died before this moment. The trip of Steffon and Cassana happened between 277AC (when Renly was born) and 279AC (when Rhaegar and Elia got married the latest). Since I doubt Cassana would leave a new born child alone, I'm guessing the trip took place in 278AC, and might have ended even in early 279AC, with Rhaegars wedding being arranged shortly thereafter.

The Kingswood Brotherhood ended in 281AC, and probably began causing trouble in 280AC. Remember how Elia gave birth to Rhaenys in 280AC, how she was on bedrest for 6 months, and how she got attacked by the Brotherhood. Most likely it was this event that cause Aerys to finally send his KG out to deal with the Brotherhood, it was his daughter-in-law who had been attacked, and his Lord Commander who had been defeated, after all. The Brotherhood is thus no problem, since it seems to have happened after Elia's wedding to Rhaegar.

As to Steffons memorial tourney, that would have taken place after Steffon's death, surely. With Steffon dying in either 278AC or 279AC, the tourney thus took place after this. With Duskendale taking place in 276/277AC, there would have been enough time for Barristan to have healed.

Looking at Barristans entry in the White Book, it seems as if both the Oldtown Tourney and Steffon's Tourney happened after early 281AC. And what's the problem with that? Harrenhal happened early to mid 281AC, the Rebellion would not start until mid 282AC. There would still be a year for those two tourneys to take place. Enough time. Because the White Book is chronological. They write in events after they've happened.

So as far as the timeline goes, I'm not seeing a real problem :) Plenty of room for half a year of Duskendale in there.

Thank you for taking a look at what I was thinking so carefully, I really appreciate it.

The timeline seems very contorted to me, the Lannisport Tourney of 276 would have to be right before the Defiance of Duskendale and if so, King Aerys would have every reason to think Tywin was hanging him out to dry as he had just called him a servant and said his daughter was not good enough to marry his son.

The chronology lists the Kingswood Brotherhood which we have at 281, then the Tourney at Oldtown (no reference), then after that the memorial tournament which we have at about 279. Steffon & Cassana Baratheon went to the free cities to look for a bride for Rhaegar after that in 278 and died on the way back, the wiki says 278 and there is a statement that the memorial tour was the year after so 279 which makes it when Jaime was 13 and had the melee win at a tourney at Storm's End.

So, the tourney entries seem out of order to me and I came to the same conclusion as Ragnarok. GRRM says Ser Barristan made an error in recollection with regard to Ser Barristan's recollection of events at a Storm's End tourney that happened in 273, but it could be that this is an actual error as well and that it is further evidenced in the White Book. It is interesting that the page includes no reference to the Harrenhal Tourney. I thought there was a reference for the Oldtown Tourney for Oberyn but I haven't found it.

It seems that Brienne did some interviewing including Sansa's maid and so I am sure she was given the information about Ser Dontos' age from her interviews. I will keep trying to place that, but I am pretty sure a child would need to be someone well under 13 for Aerys to pardon him. He didn't pardon anyone else and there were other children.

----

Castellan - welcome! We are discussing the Defiance of Duskendale timeline here because Aerys was held in captivity for 6 months and the Kingsguard would have been without much to do. One theory is that Rhaella was up to some shenanigans during that time since he seems to be so paranoid about her. My theory was that she and Prince Lewyn had an affair and perhaps Darkstar is their child but even if is a total crackpot, it was a time when Aerys was held away from the palace and anything that Prince Lewyn wanted to do would have been not seen by him. It is difficult to date because of the discrepancies in some of our minimal data.

Thank you for taking a look at what I was thinking so carefully, I really appreciate it.

The timeline seems very contorted to me, the Lannisport Tourney of 276 would have to be right before the Defiance of Duskendale and if so, King Aerys would have every reason to think Tywin was hanging him out to dry as he had just called him a servant and said his daughter was not good enough to marry his son.

The chronology lists the Kingswood Brotherhood which we have at 281, then the Tourney at Oldtown (no reference), then after that the memorial tournament which we have at about 279. Steffon & Cassana Baratheon went to the free cities to look for a bride for Rhaegar after that in 278 and died on the way back, the wiki says 278 and there is a statement that the memorial tour was the year after so 279 which makes it when Jaime was 13 and had the melee win at a tourney at Storm's End.

So, the tourney entries seem out of order to me and I came to the same conclusion as Ragnarok. GRRM says Ser Barristan made an error in recollection with regard to Ser Barristan's recollection of events at a Storm's End tourney that happened in 273, but it could be that this is an actual error as well and that it is further evidenced in the White Book. It is interesting that the page includes no reference to the Harrenhal Tourney. I thought there was a reference for the Oldtown Tourney for Oberyn but I haven't found it.

It seems that Brienne did some interviewing including Sansa's maid and so I am sure she was given the information about Ser Dontos' age from her interviews. I will keep trying to place that, but I am pretty sure a child would need to be someone well under 13 for Aerys to pardon him. He didn't pardon anyone else and there were other children.

No problem! :)

First, Dontos: Anyone under 16 is still by law a boy. Though perhaps a King might not see it as that when it was his life that was on the line, Dontos was probably several years younger than that.

On the timeline:

Are there any reasons why you think the Oldtown Tourney and Storm's End Tourney should have happened before the Tourney at Harrenhal?

There are several hints that can be picked up to suggest that it might have indeed been that Barristan and Rhaegar were at those tourneys after Harrenhal. At the Storm's End tourney, it seems that he was the only KG participating (there's only a small chance that he didn't have to go up against any other of the KG, considering how good they all were), and that while we know that Arthur Dayne and Oswell Whent usually travelled with Rhaegar whereever he went.

The Tourney at Harrenhal was the tourney where Aerys believed Rhaegar was plotting against him, which is the reason Aerys went in the first place. The tourney was only announed after Oswell Whent had visited his brother. Perhaps Aerys had decided to part Oswell and Arthur from Rhaegar for a while, which is why Barristan accompanied Rhaegar to the Tourney.

This is nothing certain, but perhaps it's a small little hint.

About the Blackhaven Tourney, I can't remember any other hints, but if you find them, please do share :) Same for the Storm's End tourney. There should be another hint about that one, but I can't find it at the moment.

But it is very well possible that the melee where Jaime won was melee-only, and that the Tourney mentioned in Barristans entry is a completely different event.

The Storm's End Tourney is called Lord Steffon's Tourney but happens after Steffon is killed in the shipwreck in his honor by Lord Robert. The date is calculated from the fact that the voyage Steffon and Cassana took was for several months and probably happened in the year after Renly's birth and before Rhaegar and Elia married because that was the purpose for the trip.

Jaime won his melee as a squire when he was 13 and it happens to be the same year as the Storm's End Tourney is supposed to be (on wiki and with the above estimate also). It could have happened at a different location but it might also be at Storm's End.

---

Regarding Ser Dontos, I notice that when his life was spared it says the boy was taken to King's Landing as a squire. It seems that average starting age is 10. The range from the appendix seems to be about 10-15 for squires but that would be for the known ages not the starting age which I would imagine would be closer to 10-12. Anyway, just trying to narrow this down.

I wonder if Lewyn's paramour was Queen Rhaelle, and Aerys's children are bastards...

Very, very unlikely, of course. I will personally eat not only my hat if it's true but go around and steal as many hats from the neighbourhood as I can find, and eat them as well. BUT...

I've got a thought here.

In the Arianne TWoW chapter she stops at the castle of House Toland (I think) and one of the girls of the family has had a dragon dream. Given the fact that we have yet to see anyone without a possible Targ connection have dragon dreams (Tyrion gets his through Plumms on his mother's side is a possibility), and we know that the more modern Martells are descended from the first Daenerys Targaryen, I think one of the Ladies Toland (probably mother-in-law of the current one) was Lewyn's paramour and the girl with the dragon dream is his granddaughter.

Though I'm starting to think the math is wrong on this. I guess it would depend on when the affair started.

Aerys' madness is blamed on Duskendale but also on Varys. Assuming there's some vague kind of objective manifestation of that madness one would think that Duskendale and Varys' arrival are somewhat close in time. That's still only conjecture but people tend to agree that Aerys grew mad over time instead of waking up batshit crazy one Tuesday. I can't recall any objective data pointing to a firm date with Varys. Illyrio tells Tyrion that Aerys no longer trusted his Hand or his son so Tywin still has to be Hand and Rhaegar has to be sufficiently grown to be perceived as a threat if untrustworthy. Rhaegar's born in 259 so he comes of age at 16 in 275. He could be perceived as a potential threat prior to that but not by many years.

I know this strays from the OP (which is also really fascinating) so I'll try to be brief :)

This idea that Duskendale followed so closely on the heels of the Lannisport Tourney, (where Aerys rejected Ceresei and insulted Tywin) is new and so very interesting to me! I've never seen their approximate timelines and dates compared before this thread, so please forgive me if I ask questions that I'm sure others have already answered.

Illyrio's comment that Aerys acquired Varys's services because he didn't trust his wife, son or HOTK always left me with the impression that it was after and perhaps even because of Duskendale that Aerys sought out a spymaster to keep tabs on those three. The books did say that Aerys believed that Tywin deliberately left him sitting in prison for six months during the siege. Is it possible that he suspected Tywin of orchestrating the whole thing to get rid of him as a type of revenge for rejecting Cersei?

Could he perhaps have suspected (rightly or wrongly) that Rhaella and Rhaegar were in on it in with Tywin, especially since Joanna Lannister had been one of Rhaella's ladies-in-waiting, Rhaella and Aerys's marriage was hostile and Rhaegar had recently come of age and would be old enough to rule on his own?

I know this strays from the OP (which is also really fascinating) so I'll try to be brief :)

This idea that Duskendale followed so closely on the heels of the Lannisport Tourney, (where Aerys rejected Ceresei and insulted Tywin) is new and so very interesting to me! I've never seen their approximate timelines and dates compared before this thread, so please forgive me if I ask questions that I'm sure others have already answered.

Illyrio's comment that Aerys acquired Varys's services because he didn't trust his wife, son or HOTK always left me with the impression that it was after and perhaps even because of Duskendale that Aerys sought out a spymaster to keep tabs on those three. The books did say that Aerys believed that Tywin deliberately left him sitting in prison for six months during the siege. Is it possible that he suspected Tywin of orchestrating the whole thing to get rid of him as a type of revenge for rejecting Cersei?

Could he perhaps have suspected (rightly or wrongly) that Rhaella and Rhaegar were in on it in with Tywin, especially since Joanna Lannister had been one of Rhaella's ladies-in-waiting, Rhaella and Aerys's marriage was hostile and Rhaegar had recently come of age and would be old enough to rule on his own?

Spoilers since it is off topic.

I think that's plausible given that timing. Duskendale matters a good deal for a number of reasons. If that was the beginning of Aerys' madness, we have a 5ish year decline into madness before the rebellion starts. If we assume that "never left the Keep" is not dogmatic and Tywin's Tournament was after Duskendale you can get a 10 year or longer descent into madness. They paint different Mad Aerys pictures and also change the balance of how long he ruled in a non-mad way. It matters heavily for assessing Tywin and Aerys relationship. Could Varys have been behind Duskendale? Depends on the timing and so would the why of any such Varys plot. Did Duskendale happen immediately on the heels of Steffon showing up in Myr to search for a Rhaegar bride? That would be somewhat curious timing too. Lots of different angles to pursue but they all depend heavily on timing. I'm personally hesitant to float theories with Duskendale as a foundation because the timing is so uncertain and the implications so far reaching. Like Duskendale as a ploy to create the need to hire Varys sort of falls apart if Varys is already in Kings Landing. Duskendale as a plot to make someone Regent only works if Rhaegar is under 16. Duskendale before or after the Elia match is known matters tremendously. I don't have a preference really as all the possible implications are interesting. I just want to know for certain before coming up with some elaborate foundation for what Varys is doing to have it trashed because Duskendale was a year earlier or later.

I wonder if Lewyn's paramour was Queen Rhaelle, and Aerys's children are bastards...

This is actually one of the reasons I want to find out about the Defiance of Duskendale date as it gave Queen Rhaella some free time...

----

The other reasons I want to know are as Ragnarok said, a lot hinges on possible Duskendale activities, including arrival of Varys, descent into Madness, not to mention what everyone was up to while Aerys was busy. I also have some crazy theories to propose about the birth of Viserys.

I started a new thread for this specific topic, so we don't have to post all our ideas here even if it is sort of related. If we could find out a more specific idea of when then maybe we could find out if it shines any light on Prince Lewyn's Paramour!

Here it is: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109901-defiance-of-duskendale-when-possible-spoilers/?p=5777825

• 1 month later...

I realize Ashara Dayne is a problematic answer because this paramour is supposed to be alive now, but I came across an interesting passage in Feast:

“He is a man of the Night’s Watch, she thought, as he sang about some stupid lady throwing herself off some stupid tower because her stupid prince was dead. The lady should go kill the ones who killed her prince. And the singer should be on the Wall.

- AFfC, Cat of the Canals

Prince Lewyn died on the Trident. News that might not have reached Starfall until Ned arrived with Dawn.

“Prince Lewyn was my Sworn Brother. In those days there were few secrets amongst the Kingsguard. I know he kept a paramour. He did not feel there was any shame in that.”

- Ser Barristan

Lots of juicy irony here if that paramour was Ashara Dayne, considering Selmy's feelings for her.

I realize Ashara Dayne is a problematic answer because this paramour is supposed to be alive now, but I came across an interesting passage in Feast:

- AFfC, Cat of the Canals

Prince Llewyn died on the Trident. News that might not have reached Starfall until Ned arrived with Dawn.

- Ser Barristan

Lots of juicy irony here if that paramour was Ashara Dayne, considering Selmy's feelings for her.

Nice catch about the song.

Maybe she wasn't the paramour, but a one-time lover. Was Lewyn at the HH Tourney?

Nice catch about the song.

Maybe she wasn't the paramour, but a one-time lover. Was Lewyn at the HH Tourney?

Yes, all of the KG were until Aerys sent Jaime back to KL.

He remembered Jaime Lannister, a golden youth in scaled white armor, kneeling on the grass in front of the king’s pavilion and making his vows to protect and defend King Aerys. Afterward, Ser Oswell Whent helped Jaime to his feet, and the White Bull himself, Lord Commander Ser Gerold Hightower, fastened the snowy cloak of the Kingsguard about his shoulders. All six White Swords were there to welcome their newest brother.
- AGoT, Eddard XV

There's also this, from KotLT story Meera tells Bran in Dance:

The crannogman saw a maid with laughing purple eyes dance with a white sword, a red snake, and the lord of griffins, and lastly with the quiet wolf… but only after the wild wolf spoke to her on behalf of a brother too shy to leave his bench.”

Lewyn was KG.

Archived