R+L=J v.39

Angalin

I don't WANT it. I actually feel that it'll take away from his character.

I can understand people who don't want it to be true. That's their prerogative. But being aware of the evidence and then rejecting it as false — that is to say, saying it's factually not true, not just that a person doesn't want it to be true — just kind of baffles me. It's one thing for a person to be skeptical without seeing the mountain of evidence; it's another to read through that evidence and still reject it. (Many times, this rejection comes without offering up an equally plausible alternative.)

I don't WANT it. I actually feel that it'll take away from his character.

First time using the quote thing!

How will this take away from his character? I'm of the opposite opinion, that it will create a lot of character growth, especially if he comes to understand that Ned was hiding him from Robert all these years and didn't even trust his wife with the truth.

Also, it cracks me up how this thread just keeps going and going... though I am quite the n00b with being an actual forum-poster and not a lurker. ;-)

How will this take away from his character? I'm of the opposite opinion, that it will create a lot of character growth, especially if he comes to understand that Ned was hiding him from Robert all these years and didn't even trust his wife with the truth.

Also, it cracks me up how this thread just keeps going and going... though I am quite the n00b with being an actual forum-poster and not a lurker. ;-)

Welcome, have fun, learn a lot, be friendly....here is you free welcome cookie.

About the thread, yeah it just never dies, all the time it gets newies who didn't find the clues on the book, or want to state their opinions (some make sense, other doesn´t)

But yeah If you want to talk about the thread content per se....it a horse that has been beaten to death, wighted back, and beaten to death over and over again.

About the thread, yeah it just never dies, all the time it gets newies who didn't find the clues on the book, or want to state their opinions (some make sense, other doesn´t)

But yeah If you want to talk about the thread content per se....it a horse that has been beaten to death, wighted back, and beaten to death over and over again.

And is somehow where I manage to spend a majority of my time on the site, haha.

Oh hi, me too! Plus I'm on my phone so this is totally complicated for someone as technologically challenged as I am ahaha.

Anyway, I guess I just -- I love that kid, I really do. And I love him because despite all the utter garbage that's been handed to him in his life, he's still turned out to be this lovely, strong, independent & willful character. Seeing his progression was so fantastic for me, especially since I was really not a fan of him at first. And I kind of feel like there's that whole "destined for greatness" thing that will arise with the truth of his birth? Like oh obviously he turned into such a stand-up guy it was fated! But I would prefer it so much more if he was really just an ordinary person, no predestination, etc. and his progression was solely his own and not a part of some grand picture. I dunno I guess it's a silly qualm to have, but!

Oh hi, me too! Plus I'm on my phone so this is totally complicated for someone as technologically challenged as I am ahaha.

Anyway, I guess I just -- I love that kid, I really do. And I love him because despite all the utter garbage that's been handed to him in his life, he's still turned out to be this lovely, strong, independent & willful character. Seeing his progression was so fantastic for me, especially since I was really not a fan of him at first. And I kind of feel like there's that whole "destined for greatness" thing that will arise with the truth of his birth? Like oh obviously he turned into such a stand-up guy it was fated! But I would prefer it so much more if he was really just an ordinary person, no predestination, etc. and his progression was solely his own and not a part of some grand picture. I dunno I guess it's a silly qualm to have, but!

I get what you're saying, but I think that Jon's greatness can be of his own making, even if he does have the parents he does. Being unaware of that and having others unaware of it too, he has to make his own way because he can't fall back on who his parents were. At this point, his parentage, not non-prophecy's sake, is incidental to who he is.

I really really hope that GRRM gives us the tale of Rhaegar and Lyanna at the end of the series - akin to what Tolkien did at the end of Lord of the Rings.

@witches I get what you're saying too... even without his parentage... Jon has A LOT of things to wrap his head around at the end of the series. Either he's the PTWP or he turns into a raging alcoholic, or both.

I get what you're saying, but I think that Jon's greatness can be of his own making, even if he does have the parents he does. Being unaware of that and having others unaware of it too, he has to make his own way because he can't fall back on who his parents were. At this point, his parentage, not non-prophecy's sake, is incidental to who he is.

yes but i do feel that when his parentage is revealed he'll be able to use the fact to his advantage & i'm just like, ugh jon you've made your own way so far don't give in! also i'm not a big targ fan so yeah that factors into it. it's totally my own bias more than like, contextual issues.

yes but i do feel that when his parentage is revealed he'll be able to use the fact to his advantage & i'm just like, ugh jon you've made your own way so far don't give in! also i'm not a big targ fan so yeah that factors into it. it's totally my own bias more than like, contextual issues.

I hate the Targs too, generally, but I think you're worried about something that probably won't happen. Jon isn't the type to try to leverage something like that. I think he'll be more devastated to learn that he's not Ned's son than he's "excited" or "happy" to be Rhaegar's.

I hate the Targs too, generally, but I think you're worried about something that probably won't happen. Jon isn't the type to try to leverage something like that. I think he'll be more devastated to learn that he's not Ned's son than he's "excited" or "happy" to be Rhaegar's.

i hope you're right!

Lol- Can I just share that I "came up with" R +L=J on my own after my second re-read and couldn't get any of my friends to agree. So I did a search online and found some incarnation of this thread. All my pride in "my" discovery evaporated instantly :blushing: But I did find lots of interesting new evidence to bring back to my friends :smug:

I'm a relative noob at posting but a longtime lurker, and I think I'll always keep the pulse of the R + L=J debate. Glad it always comes back :)

I was at a party last night for the Inauguration and ended up talking to a TV-only fan who wanted to get into the books. I was telling him about the books and how great they were, and out of curiosity, based on the TV show, did he know who Jon's parents were? He looked at me funnily and said, "Well Ned's his dad, right?" So I explained it all to him and he was pretty much floored.

Based on that experience and other experiences with TV-only fans, I can pretty much guarantee that when this reveal happens, a lot of them will have blown minds. He had absolutely no idea, hadn't even considered it.

Also he said that he already thought Dany was annoying, so I liked him even more.

Archived