Dune: Threat or Menace? To reread or retire.

thistlepong

For fans of the series - I strongly recommend the Prequel series. Fascinating insight into the origin of most of the key institutions/structures of the setting. As well as coverage of the war against the machines.

I enjoyed them greatly.

:rofl: Good one!

:wipes eyes:

Dune was a really great book for the ideas, but Frank Herbert's style is very dry. Dune is often an infodump as much as a story. Herbert does an amazing job weaving together a universe with special powers and abilities and ideas and pushing where they're going to go; his worldbuilding is better than most anyone out there. But the actual plot and twists are meh, the storyline spoiled almost immediately by the switches to perspective.

It would be interesting to reread Dune in a Martin style - where you only read the perspectives of Paul and Leto and never any of the others.

One thing Herbert did better than most anyone - still - is his incorporation of belief and religion into fiction. The control structures for these amazing powers are very well thought out - the Bene Gesserit, the Tleilax, the Guild, the Fremen - all very solid in their systems and viewpoints.

One thing that I found really annoying was how the perspective would jump from one character to another practically from line to line. Almost no one I've read recently does that, and I'm not a fan.

There's a reason no one else seems to do that. It's because it's fucking awful. It ruins a lot of the suspense, kills the pacing and generally makes everything a chore to read.

I bought a copy of the first book, was gonna start it soon......though I'm less enthusiastic after reading this thread. Anyone wanna jump in a tell me it's incredible? Gotta say, I've always disliked the excuse that something was good 'for its time'; however true it may be or however important it may be to the genre, I'm interested in being entertained, not in learning about the influences of better books I could be reading instead.

I've only read the first book, but I would agree with a lot of that. The world-building and the ideas are solid. It's the prose and pacing and plot that isn't so good.

One thing that I found really annoying was how the perspective would jump from one character to another practically from line to line. Almost no one I've read recently does that, and I'm not a fan.

Prachett does this too and it's so annoying. Especially since sometimes it's unclear who's head the narrative is in.

Dune in a Martin style

that's asoiaf, aye?

wanna jump in a tell me it's incredible?

i regard the first volume as one of the indispensible masterworks of speculative fiction. anyone who doesn't like it is obviously a defective person or an evil person, and should be subject to corrective labor.

I bought a copy of the first book, was gonna start it soon......though I'm less enthusiastic after reading this thread. Anyone wanna jump in a tell me it's incredible? Gotta say, I've always disliked the excuse that something was good 'for its time'; however true it may be or however important it may be to the genre, I'm interested in being entertained, not in learning about the influences of better books I could be reading instead.

It's worth.. press on.

I'll write my reply to the OP tonight. I just got off shift, and i'm tired as hell.

Anyone wanna jump in a tell me it's incredible?

I second this but want a real answer. Most of what I've seen Dune fans say about it is basically, "if you don't agree that it's good, you suck." I can't remember anyone ever explaining WHY it's worth reading. I do find it easier to write a criticism (even a thoughtful explanatory one) than a rave review of substance, but since I also don't care about having to read the origin of SFF ideas, it seems that someone must be able to explain what's so great about it, right?

I've read Dune three times I think, but not since I was a teenager. I don't really remember the prose, but I do remember the ideas and the universe and I thought it was great. I'm not particularly interested in reading it again though. I just don't reread books very often, and since I already have with Dune (twice!), I don't feel the need to do so again. I definitely recommend reading it once though.

But nothing else. The prequels were shit, its true. But so were all the sequels. You could maybe, maybe convince me that Dune Messiah and Children of Dune were okay, but incredibly pale shadows of the original. And everything after that was just horrible.

it seems that someone must be able to explain what's so great about it, right?
It's imaginative, immersive, seminal, original, it's not afraid of showing betrayal or deathes, it deals with destiny and self-determination, religion, manipulation, the mind games are good, a good part of it attained cult status, the characters grow and all have their own motivation, friendships, loves...

Also, there are sandworms and spice and a probabilistic future.

For fans of the series - I strongly recommend the Prequel series. Fascinating insight into the origin of most of the key institutions/structures of the setting. As well as coverage of the war against the machines.

I enjoyed them greatly.

Trolls have no subtlety these days. That or that was actually Kevin J Anderson.

I thought it was outstanding, both in terms of world-building, and in terms of creating a really gripping plot. There is, however, a total absence of humour (even black humour) in the story.

But, the sequels were such a let-down. Children of Dune was quite enjoyable, but nothing special, but Dune Messiah was a mess, and I gave up God Emperor of Dune before the end.

Heretics was actually pretty cool. There was a lot of really interesting worldbuilding and taking things to another level in there. The ending was kind of...well, okay, it was totally confusing and stupid. But the plot was pretty awesome.

I don't know about everyone else. I was hella entertained the first time. It was engaging and kind of rhythmic in its unfolding. The "world" was vast and mysterious and I devoured each new bit as I sought to comprehend it. The thread was initially about reading it again after a rather long interval, which I'm finding dissatisfying.

I've read the first three books. Dune, DUne Messiah and I think God Emperor of Dune. It's a well written series but it really isn't something that's enjoyable to read. It took me a long time to read because I was trying to understand the bloody philosophic quotes which happens like every two pages. Although Liet Kynes death chapter was one of the best chapters I've read in literature. And it's pretty clear to me now where George Lucas got the idea of the sand people.

Archived