The Princess and the Queen [SPOILERS]

I take Jon as granted but I still hate the Tyrion is a Targ thing. Why can't it be Brown Ben Plumm? Viserion liked him..

Anyway, I'm very interesting in this story. I side with the Blacks even though I know the outcome of the dance... and I really dislike the Queen already.

Same here on both counts. The Queen comes across like a quite dislikeable woman.

Still, at the end it was Rhaenyra's descendants who mounted the ugly chair. I'd rather have it without Aegon the Vicious, though. For someone who had to be convinced to take the throne, he defended it quite vehemently.

Land, air, sea. The Dance of the Dragons must've been the worst war in the Seven Kingdoms ever. I used to think that the WOFK was worse, but never mind...

Yeah, I don't think it's been mentioned there were battles at sea as well.

What about the third dragon? I really hope Tyrion isn't a Targ, to be honest.

The dragon has three heads doesn't mean the same as dragon riders. I'm not going to go into detail, so you might want to look at Jon is the three headed dragon topic.

What about the third dragon? I really hope Tyrion isn't a Targ, to be honest.

I think we should all at least start to seriously consider the possibility that at least one of the dragons will die before the end.

Yeah, I don't think it's been mentioned there were battles at sea as well.

I read it here: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/07/story-review-george-r-r-martin-the-princess-and-the-queen-or-the-blacks-and-the-greens

The stage is set for an epic war of succession between the two branches of House Targaryen, a conflict waged on land, sea, and in the air, as the competing royals turn their dragons against one another, bringing both dragons and the Targaryens themselves to the brink of extinction.

I've always been on Rhaenyra's side, so I'm already biased against the Queen Dowager.

Well, I figured the Dance was made possible by Rhaenyra being a jerk to Cristen Cole (we've had all of one paragraph to describe her, and it demands the word "imperious"). Turns out she was a jerk to a lot of people. One of whom did not so much object to the fact that a woman stood to rule, so much that she wasn't the woman doing it, or rather that Rhaenyra was the woman doing it. Heck, they didn't even conceptualize it that way.

I read it here: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/07/story-review-george-r-r-martin-the-princess-and-the-queen-or-the-blacks-and-the-greens

The stage is set for an epic war of succession between the two branches of House Targaryen, a conflict waged on land, sea, and in the air, as the competing royals turn their dragons against one another, bringing both dragons and the Targaryens themselves to the brink of extinction.

Yeah, I saw that, but I meant before this little excerpt.

We're told a dragon will only accept a rider of Targaryen blood, that doesn't imply just anyone with Targaryen blood can bind with one - clearly there is something more to it, and Quentyn didn't measure up, not to mention his Targaryen blood was particularly dilute.

Seeing as Rhaenyra is "painted" as more of a warrior, it makes sense, to me now anyway, that she was eaten by Aegon's dragon. As the look she has now (not a warrior queen) made me think why she'd be on a battlefield, but now she's described as a warrior I can see her now being eaten by Aegon's dragon after being defeated on her own dragon maybe.

On the whole dragon thing:

If we assume that Dany's dragon eggs were Targaryen dragon eggs given to Illyrio by Varys, the whole Valyrian/Targaryen blood thing may actually become even more important. Then Dany's dragons would descendants of Balerion, Vhagar, and Meraxes, just as Dany descends from Aegon and Rhaenys. Her dragons may have been bound to her blood before they actually hatched. Just as Dany's connections to the family dragon eggs caused by the Targaryen practice of incestuous marriages even after the dragons had died enabled her to become the Mother of Dragons.

If that's the case, the chances that a Targaryen descendant (bastard-born or no) can tame one of Dany's dragons greatly accelerates. And this includes Aegon, if he is a Blackfyre descendant through the female line (especially if we assume that the Blackfyre also continued the custom of incestuous marriages) or from an unaccounted for Targaryen cadet branch. And he would be also a good candidate if he turns out to be the real Aegon VI.

Quentyn actually showed promise in dragon-taming, and he would have as much Targaryen blood as Brown Ben Plumm (whose ancestor Viserys Plumm may have been Targaryen on both sides). Tyrion would have much more Targaryen blood, essentially as much as Aegon if he truly is Aegon VI.

In the early years, the Targaryen dynasty had the luck that the strong women were able to form a strong bond with their royal brothers to share the rule (i.e. Aegon and his sisters, Jaehaerys and Alysanne). But this trend could not continue forever (no idea yet if there was a strong (Targaryen) queen at Maegor and Aenys' side beside their mothers, but it's not impossible).

Ran once confirmed that Aenys I married a non-Targ. And I don't think Maegor bonded very well with any of his six wives, as he kept killing them. :P

Another thing Alys Rivers a seer. Another Targaryen - Blackwood offspring or simply a seer from the Riverlands?

I'm betting on an ancestor of the Ghost of High Heart.

It's obvious that Alicent, Otto, and Criston are not going to get Aegon II crowned before they get permanently rid of the Rhaenyra loyalists in the capital. Both Beesbury and the Grand Maester may soon die, and Criston Cole most certainly will be the man who ends up securing the Iron Throne for Alicent/Aegon II by removing obstacles.

Grand Maester Orwyle will probably die very soon, as Aegon II is said to have executed another grand maester (Gerardys) during his rule. Probably him and Beesbury, with Otto Hightower expecting his bannerman to obey him, will not see the next morning.

If Aegon's camp killed not one but two Grand Maesters, one would think that a tale written by an archmaester would be skewed against Aegon II. It does not seem to be the case. But thinking about it, the Citadel is in Oldtown, so that could balance things.

On the question of the succession laws: There were none for House Targaryen before the Dance. The dragons did what they wanted.

All the Lords of Dragonstone since the Doom were male. Even Aegon, who had an elder sister, was the leader of the House. Visenya was the eldest, and not only Aegon came before her, but also Aenys and her own son Maegor. Clearly, House Targaryen's customs followed male primogeniture and Viserys I's determination was groundbreaking in this regard.

Archived