The Princess and the Queen [SPOILERS]

I feel so excited about a look - even if a deliberately unreliable one such as this - upon the time of Rhaenyra and Criston Cole that I don't even miss She-Wolfes of Winterfell too much.

I also have a feeling that Rhaenyra is the Queen, not the Princess. The Princess is probably her half-sister, the unnamed daughter of Viserys I's Hightower wife. My hunch is that we will learn that she was somehow involved with Cole's and Aegon II's conspiracy.

Given Stannis' curious mention of Rhaenyra in ACOK, and the parallels with his own strife with Renly, this shall give some very welcome perspective.

Also, if it is a "mostly true" story, then it is probably told after the Dance of the Dragons has begun.

Daeryssa never existed. Made up by the same singers who turned Serwyn of the Mirror Shield into a knight of the Kingsguard.

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

I feel so excited about a look - even if a deliberately unreliable one such as this - upon the time of Rhaenyra and Criston Cole that I don't even miss She-Wolfes of Winterfell too much.

I also have a feeling that Rhaenyra is the Queen, not the Princess. The Princess is probably her half-sister, the unnamed daughter of Viserys I's Hightower wife. My hunch is that we will learn that she was somehow involved with Cole's and Aegon II's conspiracy.

Given Stannis' curious mention of Rhaenyra in ACOK, and the parallels with his own strife with Renly, this shall give some very welcome perspective.

Also, if it is a "mostly true" story, then it is probably told after the Dance of the Dragons has begun.

That is an intriguing possibility but I would bet that the Aegon II conspiracy started before Viserys I died - before Rhaenyra can even claim to be Queen. And Ran mentions the story sets the stage for the first Dance, so I'm guessing the story'll be about how the Cole party convinced Viserys I to take another queen, the marriage, and the birth of a male heir the Cole party could rallly behind, and how Rhaenyra reacts to these developments.

Rhaenyra's second husband is probably the most remarkable, and maybe infuriating as well, Targaryen who ever lived since Aegon and his sisters. I suppose you'd call him an adventurer.

That said, I'm not strictly sure that "The Princess and the Queen" will do him justice. You kind of need to know a bit about him from before and after the point which this novella will cover to really get the full measure of the man.

Rhaenyra's first husband has changed, BTW. He's the son of another rather remarkable person of the era, instead of Strong. Though you'll be hearing plenty about the Strongs, come to think of it.

How far does he beat Aegon the Unworthy on this?

Aegon the Unworthy wasn't remarkable in anything except how awfully venal and corrupt and liscentious he was.

This guy ... I remember the phrase about Frederick II, the stupor mundi -- the wonder of the world. It would fit this fellow.

Aegon the Unworthy wasn't remarkable in anything except how awfully venal and corrupt and liscentious he was.

This guy ... I remember the phrase about Frederick II, the stupor mundi -- the wonder of the world. It would fit this fellow.

Will you and Linda have a video up soon? The Dance of the Dragons would be a good feature now, an Arianne I chapter discussion would be cool too.

Wow.

Is there any particular reason why he isn't in the collective mind as Aegon,or part of legends or songs,being as impressive as you say he is? I imagine the name would pop up now and then...

Or is it simply because George didn't find it fitting/needed to introduce him earlier?

Is there any particular reason why he isn't in the collective mind as Aegon,or part of legends or songs,being as impressive as you say he is? I imagine the name would pop up now and then...

Perhaps he is considered a traitor? If he had been alive during the Dance, the winning side might have erased his achivements from written history.

I am disappointed it is not the fourth Dunk and Egg. I am sure I will enjoy it but wouldn't it be better to finish aSoIaF and then do all of these other histories? This seems to be a lot of spinning around and not getting to what really matters - Books 6 and 7!

Sigh. I am beginning to think aSoIaF will never be finished and thus the GRRM legacy will be left incomplete. Then all of you pros can provide your own published endings and we will never really know how the saga was supposed to end.......

Not sure if we can assume that there is/was a 'Cole faction' in Rhaenyra's childhood/youth. From Rhaenyra's description to Amoka we know that Rhaenyra and Aegon's history was changed, so that now there are ten years between the now half-siblings. When Rhaenyra's mother died, she was about ten years old, no one could really foresee what the future would bring. Taking another wife did not necessarily mean that Viserys I would get any sons, nor that he would disinherit his daughter. In fact, as things stand, I find it curious that we should assume Rhaenyra was set in stone as Heir Apparent when her father remarried. She was still a young girl, and as only child of her father she was the Heir Presumptive to the Iron Throne. That Viserys I intended her to follow him, and not Aegon or another of his sons, was decreed in his will (and most likely made obvious by the way the King treated his daughter all her life).

GRRM stated that Viserys took Rhaenyra with him to council meetings and such, giving everyone the impression that she was his chosen heir. But I very much doubt that this started in earnest before he took his second wife. Your child has to reach a certain age before you can start to train her as the future monarch. And I guess this age would be about 8-10. But it's very likely that Viserys spoiled his only child even before she reached that age.

By the way, Ran, can you tell us whether Rhaenyra is still that vindictive person GRRM described her to Amoka (never forgetting a slight, very proud etc.) or has her character changed somewhat. I'd actually like it if she was quite different from Cersei.

If the Queen in the title refers to the Hightower queen, can we except some insight in the Maesters conspiracy? I always thought that the Hightowers and Maesters were a bit to close (e.g. Rickards Maester) + if this conspiracy turned badly for the Hightowers it might explain why they don't interfere in the wars of the realm anymore.

Rhaenyra comes off as different from Cersei, IMO, in certain ways, but there are similarities as well.

Aegon II is kind of a slimeball, though.

The guy who fed Grand Maester Gerardys to his dragon. That seems to be kind of his thing. Why did he do that to the GM?.

Archived