The Hooded Man new (?) theory...(possible spoilers)

BlueEyedCrow

This is the entire reason for Mance including this "deep voiced,with grey streaks in her hair" person in his entourage.To destabilize the alliance within Winterfell.By killing and sowing discord.

There are only subtle GRRM type hints to back this idea up,but I think that's the way George rolls.

Mance introduces his "old mother",-the Liddle mentions his dead mother twice in his brief chat with Bran.

Mance mentions "hidey holes" he knows to the west of Longlake.The Liddle met Bran and party in such a place.

Mance and co must go through the same territory to find "Arya".

Theon sees the HM with cloak "flapping in the wind",but his last sight of Myrtle sees her cloak "snapping in the wind".

The Liddle meeting with Bran and the HM meeting with Theon are the only true "Stranger" encounters in the books,imo.No descriptions,no introductions.Strange.

I like this theory, makes sense, even if it's far away from beeing approved.

Mance Rayder is not called THE MANCE for nothing... ;-)

A slight re-statement of my argument for the hooded man being Jamie Lannister.

For me, his missing hands speaks clearly against him beeing the HM.

A missing hand will not go unnoticed, and even if he has trained with Ilyn Payne, he will still be a little clumsy with his left hand in daily tasks, eating, drinking etc.

I doubt that there are lots of people without a right hand running around there. Someone will make the connection and discover him...

There's a problem with this theory: Ned is in his thirties and it's only supposed to be the Lords whose faces are carved. He commissioned three carvings, certainly, but they were 17 years ago. How could anyone have this job as a stable and only job and why would he or she need to be in Winterfell all the time?

I like the Jaime theory. There are instances in the books where mistakes are made, the timeline murkiness doesn't bother me so much in this case.

When I first read the series, blissfully unaware of these forums and all the analysis that goes into gaining an understanding of the story, I was just out to devour the plot. During this first reading, I just assumed the HM was Jaime, by the way he moved, spoke, etc. He seemed so self assure, flippant, almost cocky and just sounded in my head exactly like Jaime. I can see how Jaime would take pleasure from referring to Theon as turncloak and kinslayer, it feels right. The idea that he is there to sow seeds of discord among the two parties in Wnterfell is perfect. What a redemptive accomplishment if he is able to accomplish booting the Boltons out of Winterfell.

Ah, I just love the Kingslayer.

I like the Jaime theory. There are instances in the books where mistakes are made, the timeline murkiness doesn't bother me so much in this case.

During this first reading, I just assumed the HM was Jaime, by the way he moved, spoke, etc. He seemed so self assure, flippant, almost cocky and just sounded in my head exactly like Jaime. I can see how Jaime would take pleasure from referring to Theon as turncloak and kinslayer, it feels right.

Agree. The HM's last line is so like Jaime:

"The gods are not done with me," Theon answered, wondering if this could be the killer, the night walker who had stuffed Yellow Dick's cock into his mouth and pushed Roger Ryswell's groom off the battlements. Oddly, he was not afraid. He pulled the glove from his left hand. "Lord Ramsay is not done with me."

The man looked, and laughed. "I leave you to him, then."

Mance could turn his Glamor on and off, he did it in front of Jon and Theon would have no clue who he was, he may have been walking around with Rattle shirts face. He says the same thing to him the Spear wives do.

Don't really care much, I just want to see Ramsey get his ass kicked and then killed, slowly.

Mance could turn his Glamor on and off, he did it in front of Jon and Theon would have no clue who he was, he may have been walking around with Rattle shirts face. He says the same thing to him the Spear wives do.

Don't really care much, I just want to see Ramsey get his ass kicked and then killed, slowly.

So do we all... But it would be superb if his ass were kicked by a premier league asskicker!

Ok, so I haven't seen it yet. And if it has been mentioned, my apologies. There's something that is irking me about the Hooded Man. That somehow, Theon does recognize the face but can't place it. And that obviously the HM recognizes Theon. Here is where I go super crackpot.

What if the HM isn't a man. What if its a woman. What if it's Osha.

From the wiki:

"She is described as hardly looking like a woman, having a hard face, and being lean and tall, a head taller than Robb Stark.[2] She is also described as tough and uncomplaining.[3"

She has knowledge of WF. She knows Theon. Definitely has a grudge with Walder to kill him.

There is one thing throwing me off is that the way she talks, seems "too noble". Idk. Now I know people will mention that Theon is called a kinslayer and obviously Osha knows he didn't kill Rickon and Bran...but what if she's just playing with him. Knowing she'd be outted by hinting that she knows Theon didn't kill the Stark boys.

It's just a theory that I literally just was thinking about. I have some hangups about it. But idk. What do you guys think?

Ok, so I haven't seen it yet. And if it has been mentioned, my apologies. There's something that is irking me about the Hooded Man. That somehow, Theon does recognize the face but can't place it. And that obviously the HM recognizes Theon. Here is where I go super crackpot.

From the wiki:

"She is described as hardly looking like a woman, having a hard face, and being lean and tall, a head taller than Robb Stark.[2] She is also described as tough and uncomplaining.[3"

She has knowledge of WF. She knows Theon. Definitely has a grudge with Walder to kill him.

There is one thing throwing me off is that the way she talks, seems "too noble". Idk. Now I know people will mention that Theon is called a kinslayer and obviously Osha knows he didn't kill Rickon and Bran...but what if she's just playing with him. Knowing she'd be outted by hinting that she knows Theon didn't kill the Stark boys.

It's just a theory that I literally just was thinking about. I have some hangups about it. But idk. What do you guys think?

Great post. I admit that this never occurred to me but this seems like an excellent Theory. Osha has the right sense of humor to talk the way that the HM talks, calling Theon kinslayer and mocking him. If Davos found Rickon and brought him back to Manderly, Osha would probably be with him if she survived. So she could have a good reason to be in Winterfell.

I always thought that the HM and Theon both recognized each other. And that Theon's recognition was the reason he feels comfortable showing his maimed hand to the HM. Other possible reasons for it are that the HM is also maimed, but I think that it is important that Theon feels comfortable showing his deformities. After all immediately after he sees the HM he is very uncomfortable revealing his hands to Roose, Lady Dustin, etc. Osha and Theon may in fact recognize each other and this recognition may help explain their respective actions.

I can't recall Osha's grudge against Little Walder, can you remind me? Rickon himself was friendly with both Walders - something that made Bran unhappy.

Maybe we should start abbreviating the HM as the HW now!

Thanks! Like I said, I'm still working on it. Maybe this weekend if I have time I'll try and flesh it out more. IIRC, didn't the Walders abuse Bran and Hodor or is my mind playing tricks on me? That's the reason I mentioned she'd have a grudge againt them. Also, b/c they became loyal to the Boltons as well.

On page 648 it says "the hooded man is not a lady"

From the wiki:

Thanks! Like I said, I'm still working on it. Maybe this weekend if I have time I'll try and flesh it out more. IIRC, didn't the Walders abuse Bran and Hodor or is my mind playing tricks on me? That's the reason I mentioned she'd have a grudge againt them. Also, b/c they became loyal to the Boltons as well.

Yes I remember that the Walders abused Bran and Hodor, but Rickon himself liked them. IIRC from the description of the Lord of the Crossing game from Bran's POV, after Shaggydog bites one of the Walders Rickon decides that he likes them. This infuriates Bran who seems to think that the Walders are taking the place of Rickon's real brothers in Rickon's mind.

I don't remember any interactions between Osha and the Walders, but I could easily have missed this.

I'm not seeing any really good candidates. It's not Osha, she's on Skagos with Rickon. It's not the Blackfish, he would be crazy to put himself at risk in Winterfell for such little purpose. It most definitely is not Jamie Lannister, incognito is not his style. It's not Theon having gone all multiple personality crazy. It could be Benjen Stark, but then who led Bran to safety if not an undead version of Benjen Stark?

I'm not seeing any really good candidates. It's not Osha, she's on Skagos with Rickon. It's not the Blackfish, he would be crazy to put himself at risk in Winterfell for such little purpose. It most definitely is not Jamie Lannister, incognito is not his style. It's not Theon having gone all multiple personality crazy. It could be Benjen Stark, but then who led Bran to safety if not an undead version of Benjen Stark?

What about Robbet Glover? We know he is working with Manderly so he may be reporting to Manderly & thus has a reason to be in Winterfell. He has the sense of humor to behave consistently with the HM. Since Robbet was a Stark bannerman Theon and he would know each other. He knows that Theon did not kill Bran and Rickon but maybe he is using "kinslayer" ironically or mockingly.

What about Robbet Glover? We know he is working with Manderly so he may be reporting to Manderly & thus has a reason to be in Winterfell. He has the sense of humor to behave consistently with the HM. Since Robbet was a Stark bannerman Theon and he would know each other. He knows that Theon did not kill Bran and Rickon but maybe he is using "kinslayer" ironically or mockingly.

It could be, but that too seems like a long shot because Manderly needs all the seasoned commanders he can find, and so sending a Robert Glover around to kill random Freys and Boltons to sow discord I would think is something too risky for someone of his stature....it came across to me that whomever the HM was he does believe Theon killed Bran and Rickon....that would also let out Glover.

Idk. I def am not one of the Coldhands = Benjen people. Now, is it possible Osha came back from Skaagos? Bare with me bc my mind is fuzzy, but I know there was some evidence that they were heading to Skaagos, but is there definitive proof they really are there? Could that have been a bluff as well? Or if they were there, did Davos bring him back already? And if he did, is it possible Osha either voluntarily or by orders of Davos go into Winterfell to see what's shaking?

The more I think about it, the more this theory is really growing on me. Not because its mine. But b/c out of all of the possible candidates that have been put forth, we have a character that has a more plausible reason to be there, has knowledge of WF, if the hooded whatever did kill walder, a kid mind you, osha I feel has the disposition to do it and also toy with Theon about being a kinslayer.

Idk. I def am not one of the Coldhands = Benjen people. Now, is it possible Osha came back from Skaagos? Bare with me bc my mind is fuzzy, but I know there was some evidence that they were heading to Skaagos, but is there definitive proof they really are there? Could that have been a bluff as well? Or if they were there, did Davos bring him back already? And if he did, is it possible Osha either voluntarily or by orders of Davos go into Winterfell to see what's shaking?

The more I think about it, the more this theory is really growing on me. Not because its mine. But b/c out of all of the possible candidates that have been put forth, we have a character that has a more plausible reason to be there, has knowledge of WF, if the hooded whatever did kill walder, a kid mind you, osha I feel has the disposition to do it and also toy with Theon about being a kinslayer.

I don't see Osha leaving Rickon to put herself at risk, certainly not because some smuggler she's never heard of who works for Stannis Baratheon who she has never heard of, nor cares about, tells her to. If she has kept the heir of Winterfell alive all this time, why would anyone separate her from him, assuming they could even get her to agree to it? They would also need Osha ALIVE in the future to help prove that Rickon is really Rickon Stark and not a fake, and they wouldn't want to risk her dying. So, I really don't see it. I honestly don't know who the HM is.

Archived