The Hooded Man new (?) theory...(possible spoilers)

BlueEyedCrow

I don't see Osha leaving Rickon to put herself at risk, certainly not because some smuggler she's never heard of who works for Stannis Baratheon who she has never heard of, nor cares about, tells her to. If she has kept the heir of Winterfell alive all this time, why would anyone separate her from him, assuming they could even get her to agree to it? They would also need Osha ALIVE in the future to help prove that Rickon is really Rickon Stark and not a fake, and they wouldn't want to risk her dying. So, I really don't see it. I honestly don't know who the HM is.

You have a point. I didn't take into account that if Davos did find them, she'd be super suspicious about who he is and his intentions. Idk if I can let this theory die just yet tho lol.

I haven't re-read the chapters in a while (still only on ACoK with the current re-read) - but I seem to remember thinking that the HM was Mance at the time. Is there a reason why it couldn't have been Mance? I can't quite remember the chronology, but I thought this was before he was discovered.

I haven't re-read the chapters in a while (still only on ACoK with the current re-read) - but I seem to remember thinking that the HM was Mance at the time. Is there a reason why it couldn't have been Mance? I can't quite remember the chronology, but I thought this was before he was discovered.

I assumed it was Mance on my first read as well. And I don't know why it can't be Mance.

But I do like a lot of these theories. I was talking with a friend who said he thought it was Howland Reed. I have no idea...thoughts?

I assumed it was Mance on my first read as well. And I don't know why it can't be Mance.

But I do like a lot of these theories. I was talking with a friend who said he thought it was Howland Reed. I have no idea...thoughts?

I also assumed it was Mance, not sure why it can't be him. Howland Reed is interesting...

I don't see Osha leaving Rickon to put herself at risk, certainly not because some smuggler she's never heard of who works for Stannis Baratheon who she has never heard of, nor cares about, tells her to. If she has kept the heir of Winterfell alive all this time, why would anyone separate her from him, assuming they could even get her to agree to it? They would also need Osha ALIVE in the future to help prove that Rickon is really Rickon Stark and not a fake, and they wouldn't want to risk her dying. So, I really don't see it. I honestly don't know who the HM is.

They actually don't need Osha to prove that Rickon is Rickon because Shaggydog can do that better than anyone else. Manderly / Robett say as much when they are talking to Davos in White Harbor. But this doesn't make your other point about Osha probably not wanting to leave Rickon less valid.

You say you don't know who the hooded man is but you must have an idea who is more likely (less unlikely?) than others? I'm interested to hear your opinion. As I've said, my personal pick is Robett but he is not a perfect pick. Osha seems pretty good, too. What do you think of the Theon Durden theory? Many people think HM is Davos or maybe Galbert Glover. Perhaps Hal Mollin? Maybe Harwin or someone from BwB?

They actually don't need Osha to prove that Rickon is Rickon because Shaggydog can do that better than anyone else. Manderly / Robbet say as much when they are talking to Davos in White Harbor. But this doesn't make your other point about Osha probably not wanting to leave Rickon less valid.

You say you don't know who the hooded man is but you must have an idea who is more likely (less unlikely?) than others? I'm interested to hear your opinion. As I've said, my personal pick is Robbet but he is not a perfect pick. Osha seems pretty good, too. What do you think of the Theon Durden theory? Many people think HM is Davos or maybe Galbert Glover. Perhaps Hal Mollin? Maybe Harwin or someone from BwB?

Hal Mollin is so far the best choice I've seen....we know he went North...and he hasn't been seen for some time....we know he's a Stark loyalist, but would he kill a child, even one as loathsome as Little Walder?

I think no way on Davos, he's got bigger frish to fry, same for Glover, Harwin would know it was a fake Arya, so I would think he might do something about that, but if he thinks all the other Starks are dead, he could be a possibility, also. Theon having a split personality I think is just nutty, plus, he's too weak to be killing any able bodied men anyway.

Crackpot Wildcard here - Could the hooded man be Steelshanks Walton? Who delivering Jeyne to Roose Bolton possibly developed a relationship with her on the journey North? After he delivered her to Bolton realized he made a mistake and he is chilling in Winterfell causing chaos? Do not think Theon would recognize Steelshanks, and Steelshanks would know Theon since he was Ned Starks ward, Steelshanks would probably laugh at Theon's misery as well.

If i recall, steelshanks was in the hall during this time.

Why is it that we are concerned about the hm being the one doing the killings? That was the spearswives and big walder that killed little walder (most likely). What Sarah Jenice missed is the timing, the timing is vital. Theon meets the HM right before Umber starts blowing the horn outside WF. Imo, he chose to start blowing the horns to distract the forces inside of WF from the assassin that came with him (a member of the NC, Robett Glover is my prediction). Robett lets Theon slide and leaves him be because he knows Theon didnt kill Bran and Rickon. The "Kinslayer" line is just what everyone in the north calls him. It isnt anywhere near as big a deal to me. Robett was chosen to lead the covert option in HH as well. Maybe that's his specialty.

Robett is there to fry a big fish (kill Roose), maybe communicate with Manderly or turn the Mors.

Hal Mollin is so far the best choice I've seen....we know he went North...and he hasn't been seen for some time....we know he's a Stark loyalist, but would he kill a child, even one as loathsome as Little Walder?

I think no way on Davos, he's got bigger frish to fry, same for Glover, Harwin would know it was a fake Arya, so I would think he might do something about that, but if he thinks all the other Starks are dead, he could be a possibility, also. Theon having a split personality I think is just nutty, plus, he's too weak to be killing any able bodied men anyway.

If Davis has Rickon already, there's no bigger fish to fry. I love the Davos theory, but where is Shaggydog? Shaggydog isnt the type of direwolf you can keep a lid on, he'd be all over the place.

I think Theon Durden is horrible. It doesnt do anything for the storyline and it seems flimsy. Same with BF, who Theon would know on sight.

He just left Mance in the longhall.

It could be, but that too seems like a long shot because Manderly needs all the seasoned commanders he can find, and so sending a Robert Glover around to kill random Freys and Boltons to sow discord I would think is something too risky for someone of his stature....it came across to me that whomever the HM was he does believe Theon killed Bran and Rickon....that would also let out Glover.

The HM is clearly not the killer of the randoms. Thats the spearwives.

I do not think it can be Jaime or Davos. First of all neither Jaime nor Davos would be so 'passionate' about Theon's "kinslaying". Neither of them would approve of it (which is kinda ironic for Jaime), but neither of them would be emotionally invested in it, as the HM appears to be. For this reason I think the HM has to be a northerner.

Further, Davos and Jaime each have their own plot lines that need to be persued far from Winterfell. I can't see GRRM skipping a POV showing Jaime's encoutner with Stoneheart, which he would have to do for the HM to be Jaime. As for Davos; I am not confident that he could have made it to Skagos, found Rickon, and returned to Winterfell in the amount of time he has had since White Harbor and similarly I can't see GRRM skipping this 'adventure' entirely. Also, Davos knows that Bran and Rickon are alive, so he would have no reason to call Theon 'kinslayer'.

IMHO, Harwin, or some other northern member of the BWB seems like the best choice. Harwin would be able recognize Theon, have intimate knowledge of Winterfell, and would have the emotional investment in the Stark children's 'deaths' that we see in the HM. Benjen and the Blackfish also fit these requirements, but my gut says its neither of them.

I forget where, either a dream or in Theon's head, Harwin is described as being dead.

I forget where, either a dream or in Theon's head, Harwin is described as being dead.

I don't remember this. Do you think you read this somewhere in Dance? Last time we saw Harwin was in Storm of Swords with Arya I think. I don't think we see him when Brienne meets the BwB in aFfC.

I don't remember this. Do you think you read this somewhere in Dance? Last time we saw Harwin was in Storm of Swords with Arya I think. I don't think we see him when Brienne meets the BwB in aFfC.

It was in Dance I believe when Theon was musing on all the people from WF that were dead. Jory, Mikken, Ser Rodrik etc. the paragraph finished with "Old Nan, most likely". I just reread DwD and it stuck out to me that he said Harwin, im almost positive, and the line about Old Nan.

If i had a searchable version i might could find it.

There's a chance im wrong though. I dont have the best memory anymore. Har

There's a chance im wrong though. I dont have the best memory anymore. Har

Well your memory seems pretty good to me. It is definitely better than mine.

I have the kindle version - a search for "Harwin" in Dance shows in chapter 51: "They were all dead now. Jory, old Ser Rodrik, Lord Eddard, Harwin and Hullen, Cayn and Desmond and Fat Tom, Alyn with his dreams of knighthood, Mikken who had given him his first real sword. Even Old Nan, like as not."

This is almost exactly as you remembered:

It was in Dance I believe when Theon was musing on all the people from WF that were dead. Jory, Mikken, Ser Rodrik etc. the paragraph finished with "Old Nan, most likely". I just reread DwD and it stuck out to me that he said Harwin, im almost positive, and the line about Old Nan.

Great catch. Chapter 51 is when Theon escapes with Jayne. The "Ghost in Winterfell" chapter where the Hooded Man appears before is this. So it's reasonable to think that the HM can't be anyone mentioned in this list or Theon would not think them dead. That definitely rules out Harwin as the HM.

Not an earth-shattering post here but...I do wonder who they had or got. The person is referred to as a "stone carver." Carving likenesses into stone that don't resemble a play-doh figurine, is a very highly-skilled art. Not everyone can do it. I mean, this is not someone who makes a stone table or bench, this is an artist. Was there really a big demand at WF for this? KL, ok, fine, but WF? Ned didn't seem a spiffy decor kind of guy to me so would this person be employed there 24-7 to being with? Only on a second re-read so I am sure I missed something.

The HM is clearly not the killer of the randoms. Thats the spearwives.

I thought there must be some reason for that, but I'd forgotten that bit. I really need to speed up my re-read and get back to ADwD.

In other news, I now think the HM is Harwin. That would make the most sense to me, particularly as he could have attached himself to the Frey-Bolton forces going north quite easily.

Archived