Bran, the King in the North?

Apple the Great

Bran will stay where he is. Why should grrm build him up to a mighty "mage" (well, he doesnt throw fireballs and shit, but you know what i mean) to than bring him all the way back to WF to be KITN?

the title of Lord of WF or maybe KITN (which we dont even know if someone will claim it) is Rickon's or Jon's. i guess rickons, as Jon is not the man to steal his brothers birthright, and even if he gets knowledge of robbs last will, it was writte when he thought bran and rickon were dead.

aaaaand then there is still the optionthat the Jeyne Westerling of Jaime's chaptures may be a fake and the true Jeyne is hanging around somewhere waiting to bring robb's son or daughter into play.

regarding Jon: i dont buy him sitting on the iron throne. we dont even know if R+L is true, and even if so, Dany has the better claim and not only this, Jon is who he is, he wont march south (with what army would he do that, btw? the wildlings won't care, and i dont think the northern lords are too eager for a new big war against the south- in the midst of winter!!!) knowing he is leaving the Others in his back to claim a throne he doesnt give a shit about. i can imagine Jon ending up as either Lord Commander, just as he is know,or lord regent for rickon, or as leader or just member of the free folk south of the wall.

• 2 weeks later...

Bran will stay where he is. Why should grrm build him up to a mighty "mage" (well, he doesnt throw fireballs and shit, but you know what i mean) to than bring him all the way back to WF to be KITN?

the title of Lord of WF or maybe KITN (which we dont even know if someone will claim it) is Rickon's or Jon's. i guess rickons, as Jon is not the man to steal his brothers birthright, and even if he gets knowledge of robbs last will, it was writte when he thought bran and rickon were dead.

aaaaand then there is still the optionthat the Jeyne Westerling of Jaime's chaptures may be a fake and the true Jeyne is hanging around somewhere waiting to bring robb's son or daughter into play.

regarding Jon: i dont buy him sitting on the iron throne. we dont even know if R+L is true, and even if so, Dany has the better claim and not only this, Jon is who he is, he wont march south (with what army would he do that, btw? the wildlings won't care, and i dont think the northern lords are too eager for a new big war against the south- in the midst of winter!!!) knowing he is leaving the Others in his back to claim a throne he doesnt give a shit about. i can imagine Jon ending up as either Lord Commander, just as he is know,or lord regent for rickon, or as leader or just member of the free folk south of the wall.

Read: 14 out of his 21 chapters are in Winterfell. Bran is the only Stark to compare himself physically to Winterfell:

"The stone is strong. . .The roots of the trees grow deep, and under the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me... I'm not dead either."-Bran

Re-read the OP.

Bran also calls himself the heir repeatedly, and refer to himself as the heir.

I do think there's more to the Three-Eyed Crow's cryptic "[You will never walk again], but you will fly" line than just warging into ravens. If not, it wouldn't really be that special (countless wargs have done it before). I think we've yet to discover the way in which Bran will fly.

I agree. People often point out that GRRM has no problem building up a character, only to have that character killed off. However, my theory is that the original characters in GoT are the important characters - the ones who'll make it to the end, save Ned and Cat (because the story is not about them after all - it's about their kids' generation). That leaves: Jon, Bran, Arya, Tyrion, Dany, Sansa. Note how Robb and Rickon never had POV's in GoT. Neither did any of the POV's who've died in later books. These later POV's were mainly added to tell the story more completely, not because those characters are the ones important in the end. Certainly I'd love a Rickon POV, but I doubt his character will become too developed.

interesting. If you believe R+L=J (which I do) and A+J=T (which I don't) those 6 POV's are 3 Targaryens and 3 Starks. Perfect balance of Fire and Ice.

I believe that Bran stays in the cave. He comes to Jon in a dream (ACOK 53) and speaks to Theon through the weirwood (ADWD 46). Bran does not have these abilities durring the events of ACOK or ADWD. It is my belief that a fully trained Bran from the future sent these messages to his brother and foster brother. We know that he can do this, because when bran calls out to his father through the weirwood he hears him (ADWD 34).

I seem to be the only that believes that certain characters will follow the paths that they are currently on.

So what your saying is that Bran does have those abilities in ADWD...

Holy shit this made me laugh....

A+ J = T is the theory that Tyrion is a Targareyen... Ayres+ Tyrions mom=Tyrion... Don't believe that though

Okay, So I've tried to read as many posts on this subject as possible and I believe that everyone is disregarding all the things we do know about Rickon.... In the books he was described as young and angry at the world. His wolf is the most dangerous of all... I can not see him becoming a "KING" I can see him being brought back into the thick of things and slowly being worked on to become the Warden of the North or the Lord of Winterfell, but other than that, I don't see him becoming a King. I think Bran and Jon are the better answers to that question, but I also agree with some of the others.. There will be no "KING IN THE NORTH", If we are all right and R+L=J is correct then that in itself will keep the 7 kingdoms together. Dany or John or Griff will become King of the Iron throne and because of John's lineage the Targs will become allies with the Starks.... It is a "SONG OF ICE AND FIRE" not Ice against Fire.... It is the story of John... The product of ICE and Fire... Of course if he really is dead then this will throw everything out of balance, but I can't see that happening.

Bran on the other hand is a hero. He is a knight... He is crippled, yes, but he will play a role in saving the 7 kingdoms and protecting them from the others. He is also a puppet of the 3 eyed crow right now, and I believe at some point someone will try to use him to their own end. I do not necessarily trust the 3 eyed crow. But KING??? I can not see him becoming a King. Also, the idea that he will stay hidden in that cave seems ridiculous.... Not really sure where everyone is coming up with that. He went to Bloodraven for training.... So that he could go out and fight the Others using his special abilities.

And as for inheritance...... Jon is most likely NOT Ned's son and I believe that he will not inherit winterfell.... But he might inherit the 7 kingdoms....

Ayra, will .... well... I have no idea... But it's gonna be bloody...

Sansa, will.... well.... again no idea, but it will probably not make much sense. She doesn't seem too bright to me....

Side note: In Dany's chapters some of the prophecies about her "journey" say that she most pass beneath the shadow. (something like that) I believe the shadow is the shadow of the wall... I think she is going to play a huge role on who gets the north and I have a feeling that she is going to get her hands on one of the younger Starks... possibly Bran... who may be the only one who can get her Dragons back from the Iron men who have at this point possibly blown the horn that "controls dragons"..... She may need Bran's abilities to break into her dragons minds and get them back on her side....

• 4 weeks later...

The succession of a king runs from the king himself not his father. If a king has no direct heirs then the king names an heir, if the king dies without naming an heir only then does the succession run to the lateral lines (siblings, nephews, nieces, cousins and so on).

Bran is Ed ' heir and rightful lord of WF. Jon is Robb's heir and rightful KoTN.

• 3 weeks later...

Bran will probably end up like the bloodraven in a tree's roots. Rob made John his heir under the assumption that Bran Rickon were dead. Lord Wyman has sent the ever reliable Davos to find and return Rickon to Winterfell where he will be groomed for the lordship of Winterfell or king in the north if Stannis eats it bad

That superficially seems the most plausible, but somehow I don't think so.... Just a feeling, but I think Bran eventually returns to south/to Winterfell, whether KITN, LOW, or some Bloodraven-like sorcerer/hand/advisor, or something bigger and entirely different.

I still think that in the end Bran turns out to be the "hero" of the story. again, just a feeling, but it's based in part on the following facts:

1.The story effectively starts with Bran.

2.Bran is the one who carries the name of his legendary Stark ancestors

3.Bran is the name of the "hero" of the Mabinogion (sp?) - a Celtic legend that GRRM draws from- and Bran means crow in old Brythonic Celtic.

The Starks are not the Lannisters. I don't foresee them squabbling over incomes and titles. Granted people can disappoint you but aside from being sympathetic characters, I can give 3 good reasons that we'll see more teamwork than infighting from the surviving Starks.

1. If You read the first chapter of Dreamsongs you get the distinct impression that GRRM's favorite comics are teams of superheros. For a long time the Starks, including Jon have been developing a complimentary set of skills. Jon can lead an army, Sansa can bring allies to the cause, Arya can conduct covert operations and Bran can gather intelligence from any place or time. This was always a story about a team of superheros.
  2. Wolves are pack animals. They instinctively run together and hunt together. It's not just a sigil. Warging gives you the instincts of your host animal.
  3. They don't have the luxury. Westeros has a nasty case of the White Walkers, and nobody south of the Neck cares. Only the combined talents of Jon, Sansa, Arya and Bran can save the realm.

Bran stays put. The Starks have lots or wargs, but only 1 greenseer. He may or may not have tree roots growing in and out of him, and he may or may not need a second bowl of Jojen paste to move back to Winterfell. But he's too valuable to be in the public eye. BR's cave is the best place for him. If the nature of greenseeing were widely understood, nobody would have a sensitive conversation in the presence of a raven. So the official party line is this. Skinchangers are just in stories, Walder Frey is a dirty liar and The Starks are just very good at training animals. And Bran is dead, so don't go looking for him.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there's an important fact that I didn't see mentioned on the first page of replies and that is that a claim is simply a claim. The person must decide to accept the position. Just because Bran lives doesn't mean he wants the position. If you recall, he didn't like the way the people looked at him as "Bran the Broken." He prefers "Bran the Beastling." Jon has also proven he isn't leaving the Watch. He's Lord Commander, his dream job, as it were. If he learns that he's legitimised then he'll consider it a bonus. He joins the long line of Starks who have served the Watch. But he won't abandon his brothers, especially during the most important war the realm has faced in thousands of years. It's Rickon all the way.

If Robb did die without getting Jeyne Westerling pregnant, as Robb's younger brother, surely Bran has the strongest claim to Winterfell and being King in the North? I know he is a cripple, and is currently lost north of the wall under a tree, but these are not insurmountable obstacles and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I see people mentioning Rickon and Jon Snow ahead of him. For sure, Rickon is a healthy lad, easily accessible on Skagos, but Wyman and Davos know that Bran is alive, as does Rickon, and they would thus know that Bran has the stronger claim (and Davos would be sure to tell Stannis that Bran lives). Lord Snow has already rejected Winterfell and I suspect he would again if he isn't dead.

Despite being a cripple, Bran has extraordinary powers that theoretically would allow him to control a dragon. It is surely possible that Bran could control a dragon while he, Hodor and Meera sat on it's back and flew south. Equally possible is Bran going to the Weirwood tree in Winterfell surely, if he needs a tree - I don't buy the theory that Bran has to stay under the specific weirwood tree that the Three-Eyed Crow is under, nor do I think Bran has to stay under a tree if he doesn't want to. Maybe this is all crackpot dreams borne out of love of Bran and house Stark so if people want to tell me why this can't be right, please do, I just can't understand why people keep on passing over Bran.

Also, on a different Stark related note, why does everyone seem to assume Sansa wants to kill Littlefinger. I'll mourn Littlefinger, the crafty b*stard.

I agree...it is by far the most ridiculous conclusion people make on this Forum. Bran will be back and will lead the North. Also, has anyone seen the drawing Bran the Builder? He is laying on a board and I wouldn't be surprised if was not lame either.

King of the North and Lord of Winterfell doesn't have to be the same person. In either case Bran won't hold either position. Maybe Rickon as LOW, and Jon as KITN, but that's just wishful thinking.

I disagree- the notion that Bran won't leave that place makes no sense. He is there for training and I would submit to you that Bryden is only stuck there to extend his life long enough to help Bran. While Bran may end-up there at some point. It would only be to help the next greenseer.

aaaaand then there is still the option that the Jeyne Westerling of Jaime's chaptures may be a fake and the true Jeyne is hanging around somewhere waiting to bring robb's son or daughter into play.

The very first thing that GRRM did with the Starks was have Ned teach Bran about ruling. The next thing GRRM did with Bran was empathesise his connection to Winterfell. Robb may have named Jon in a letter, Robb told Bran he was Lord of Winterfell when he left in person. Between that and all the chapters he spent actually ruling Winterfell, I'd say he's been build up to be Lord of Winterfell just as much as anything else. And much more so then Rickon.

Its not about if Bran will come back to Winterfell. It's not about Robb's will. It's not about Jon is DOA. It's not about Jon will leave Night's Watch. It's about 'A Stark in Winterfell'. When Manderly came to know that Rickon is alive and of his location, his primary goal is to get 'A Stark in Winterfell'. The rights of the heir comes later if they find Bran alive.

The very first thing that GRRM did with the Starks was have Ned teach Bran about ruling. The next thing GRRM did with Bran was empathesise his connection to Winterfell. Robb may have named Jon in a letter, Robb told Bran he was Lord of Winterfell when he left in person. Between that and all the chapters he spent actually ruling Winterfell, I'd say he's been build up to be Lord of Winterfell just as much as anything else. And much more so then Rickon.

If you think Bran would rule just because GRRM made Ned teach Bran about ruling, then you need to read the books again.

The thing I noticed until book 3 In Bran's POV he and his companies refer him as a prens like broken pren of north or such other example But In book 5 these referance is not exist Bran or nobody else refer him as a pren or King What you are thinking about these .....Also I recently read interview about show in ew.com there is no bran in next season and the way producer explain it remaid he is going to have change like he was heir or prens but he is going to be something bigger now.

Archived