a quote i found interesting from the very first chapter

SerDavosShepherd

In my opinion Jon has a more intimate connection with Ghost than Bran does with Summer, I just think Bran is a more powerful Warg so is able to do flashy things like look through Summer's eyes. With relation to this quote, I always thought (after learning of the Warg-ish connection the Stark kids have with their wolves) that Jon didn't actually hear Ghost, but "felt" him through the warg ability. Ghost never makes any noise, even as a full grown adult, yet Jon hears him over all the sounds of the forest (they are on horseback going over a wooden bridge at the time). I think the open eyes refers to the Warg-ish connection having been made between Jon and Ghost first.

Yeah I like this. It make me wonder about the warg connection between the children and their respective wolves. Exactly how and when does this connection happen? Is each pair predestined for each other, do they form the bond on contact, the instant each child chooses his or her wolf, or is the connection created through the act of raising the wolves?

Good thread and good catch. Might it be so meaningful as to predict that Jon will be resurrected as AA? Little Neo-Matrixy? Not sure. Might just be great writing or might really be explaining Jon is the savior of even that Jon is not a Stark....good thread.

• 2 weeks later...

First post. I'm ready to crack some pots.

In my opinion, Benjen's comment about bastards growing up faster is misleading (even if it's true). My theory about Ghost having eyes open before the others (and being bigger than the others early on) is this: Jon Snow is actually older than the rest of the Starks. The timeline relating to his birth isn't really known in detail. All we really know is that he was brought to Winterfell before Robb was (according to Catelyn). Likewise, Ghost was probably born before the other direwolves. He had already crawled away from the main group before the Starks found them, indicating that he had spent some time alone before the others were born. (I just went over other comments, and evita mgfs says much the same about Ghost with considerably more detail.)

People have tried constructing timelines and it seems that they hit a snag with Jon and Robb's namedays. If Ned came home with a boy older than Robb (who would have become the heir if legitimized), it may have made Catelyn even more uncomfortable than it did; in the south, bastards are typically kept hidden, so Catelyn must have been certain that Jon would be legitimized at some point (before she learned of the ways of the north). In addition to that, pretending that Jon was born - or, more importantly, conceived - later than Robb may have been necessary to make the story believable (if Jon isn't Ned's bastard as most people believe). It also may have been necessary to separate the event of Jon's birth from Ned's presence at the Tower of Joy (if Jon truly is Lyanna's child).

I myself have a different theory regarding the identity of Lyanna's child - assuming of course that she did give birth at the ToJ - which may or may not show that Jon is likely older than first believed. Obviously that means I have a different theory than R+L=J, but it's somewhat convoluted in comparison. I'll need to reread the books and formulate my own timeline before it can truly be put to the forum however. Somewhat related are the prophecies of Azor Ahai and the prince that was promised (who, for now, I believe to be two separate entities), but that's neither here nor there.

i just restarted the series for the first time since finishing it last year. i've stayed connected by reading, and posting (rarely) on here, and watching the show. I figured this time through the books i'd offer my opinions a little more liberally.

In the first POV chapter of AGOT Jon Snow had just found his dire wolf pup separated from the rest of the pack and bran says this line (P. 21) :

"bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind"

given all that we have come to know about the connections between the Stark children and their direwolves i believe this is a very significant line.

What say you?

Not very significant. Remember all the talk about 'Bastards growing up fast'. It refers to the fact that this puppy, being the outcast of the litter, was forced to grow up faster than the others.

So crazy, I just started rereading the books today and this was the first thing I noticed too!! That and the fact that the direwolf mom was killed by the antler of a STAG. I think that Ghost's eyes being open before the others does imply that Jon Snow is able to see real threat before everyone else. Also, this might be stretching a bit, but the fact that the wolf is white (maybe a throw to the Targ's white/platinum hair?) and has red eyes (red = fire, Jon is AA?) might be a clue to something else?

• 8 months later...

A little bit late but I think Ghost's eyes opening may be symbollic for the fact that Jon knows about the others and is trying to create peace whilst millions are fighting and are blind to the true threat, unlike Jon

Well, if we can manage not to think about Jon for a moment (radical, I know)...
Ghost is commonly connected to the Old Gods, especially when concerning his blood-red eyes. He reminds Jon of a Wierwood, so it doesn't surprise me much that he sees more than his siblings, but cannot 'speak'.

The whole first few chapters of the book are dripping with references to Jon being super perceptive. I think this is just another one. Jon's wolf is more perceptive than his siblings. Ghost is off by himself because he is more independent and adventurous than the others, as Jon is. I don't think there is any reason to think he was born first just because he is larger. Puppies in a single litter aren't born in order of size. I do think his white fur/red eyes may be a reference to a connection with the old gods.

Another interpretation is that Ghost is the eldest of the pack, just as John is the eldest among the Stark kids. In the books it is believed John is younger than Rob, since he was (supposedly) conceived after Ned left Riverrun to join the war. Maester Lewin's comment that bastards grow more quickly than true born children only aids the misconception. John is a bit older than Rob.

Edit: spelling

I just re-read that chapter and that line caught my attention. I had forgotten about it.

But I think it is there to demonstrate that there is something different about Jon's direwolf. White fur, red eyes, silent, opened its eyes before the other pups.

As readers we infer quite quickly that this one is special.

It also links to the characterisation of Jon. Like his wolf he is somehow different and special.

A little bit late but I think Ghost's eyes opening may be symbollic for the fact that Jon knows about the others and is trying to create peace whilst millions are fighting and are blind to the true threat, unlike Jon

I agree. Maybe it hints that Jon has always been able to see the larger picture? He was the first of the Starks that dealt with the Others, which of course are growing in importance and threat, and in recognizing it and acting against it. Meanwhile his siblings do not even think about this, except for Bran in the last books.

In the books, 'opening your eyes' more or less means seeing things for what they are / seeing the truth. I think its no coincidence Ghost has white fur and red eyes, like the weirwoods trees. The weirwood trees also 'see', or can be used to see like Bran and Bloodraven do. Also, Ghost seems to know when bad things are bound to happen, before they happen. Ghost surely is the most special direwolf, and I think we'll see some more cool stuff in the to be released books.

• 6 months later...

I think it is symbolic that ghost opens his eyes first and can see is comparable to the fact that someone, can't remember if it was jon or Tyrion or benjen or someone was like bastards grow up first. They basically have too. To me the rest of the stark kids have their eyes closed to the dangers of the world, not really knowing or even being prepared for the real world outside of winterfell. However jon on the other hand being bastard born and not having everything coated in sugar is more prepared at that moment for the world then the rest of the stark kids. Also the fact that ghost is an albino and in the animal kingdom albinos usually can't survive because they can't blend in as well as others and that he has his eyes open and moving away is symbolic too but I just haven't been able to put my finger to exactly what this implies.

• 1 month later...

<snips>

"bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind"

given all that we have come to know about the connections between the Stark children and their direwolves i believe this is a very significant line.

Nice job, OP and everyone. It is apparent immediately that the direwolves are quite special and that Ghost is unique. This is emphasized when Jon suddenly returns to find the white pup that was left behind. How did Jon 'hear' the pup when we learn later that Ghost is mute silent. (Lots of theories on that one.) In a later chapter, the author subtly underlines this point when Dolorous Edd bemoans being unable to find his white horse in the snow. A white puppy in a snowdrift would be far more difficult to locate than a horse - so Jon's eyes were 'open' too.

• 1 month later...

There is only one God "the Stranger" - and to him we say "not today". I am doing my second read through and am amazed by all I missed the first time. But as I am new here much like Jon "I know nothing". Excuse the paraphrased quote. And in the first chapter Jon sees everyone at the feast very clearly especially Tyrion.

Warging seems consistent with the "Stark" bloodline. The fact the Arya, Bran, and Jon look more Stark than Robb and Sansa - for sure means they have more warging ability. Not sure if I ever came across anything on Rickon and if he resembles more red haired Tully side or more Stark side - that may be revealed in last 2 books. But great catch and quote - Bran and Jon seem to have the most power and Arya is on her way...

Warging seems consistent with the "Stark" bloodline. The fact the Arya, Bran, and Jon look more Stark than Robb and Sansa - for sure means they have more warging ability. Not sure if I ever came across anything on Rickon and if he resembles more red haired Tully side or more Stark side - that may be revealed in last 2 books. But great catch and quote - Bran and Jon seem to have the most power and Arya is on her way...

Bran has the Tully look too, and he has more "warging ability" than Jon or Arya. From Catelyn's children only Arya has the Stark look.

Cat in AGOT: Jon looked more like Ned than any of the trueborn sons she bore him. This includes Rickon as well.

Warging has nothing to do with looking like a Stark. There are lots of wargs and skinchangers (Varamyr, Orell, Bloodraven, etc.) around who don't look like Starks either.

I found this thread interesting as Jon seems to see the truth behind the face of many of the guests at his Fathers feast for Robert. I think Tyrion recognizes something different in Jon. He is unique much like his wolf. He didn't lock Ghost away because he scared some silly girl - like Rob locking Greywind up because he scared his annoying book wife - sorry can't remember her name. Jon has a larger role to play than people realize.

Archived