The Next Dead Stark

TheWOLFbeyondTHEwall

I don't exactly understand why people rave about the oh-so-many Stark deaths. Currently TWO Starks are dead. Two Martells, two Baratheons, two Tullies THREE Lannisters... why is the number of Stark deaths so very unsettling?

It's true that there are only two or three actual Starks dead (including Catelyn), and that's about the same as many of the other paramount houses of the books. But I think one of the reasons for everyone thinking that the Starks have suffered more than anyone because pretty much their entire castle has been wiped out and murdered or held captive. While everyone has more sympathy for the main Starks themselves, their tribulations affect a large number of other people.

Bran, Jon, Arya, and Sansa all repeatedly lament the fortunes of the people that made their home their home, from Gage making Sansa lemoncakes, to Old Nan telling Bran scary stories, to the guards chasing Arya around and calling her Arya Underfoot. That's what makes the whole Stark/Winterfell tragedy more devastating to me. The rest of the families have lost some main members (Robert Baratheon, Tywin Lannister, Oberyn Martell, Jon and Lysa Arryn, etc.) but Winterfell's ENTIRE population has been either murdered or taken captive at one of the scariest castles in the realm.

The Riverlands' smallfolk might have suffered more but we weren't introduced to as many of them as we have been to Rodrik and Beth Cassell, Mikken, Old Nan and the rest.

I agree that some more of the Starks might die, but theirs is one family that has been put through enough.

I don't think another Stark is going to die soon (maybe Jon at the end of the series) but if i had to choose i would say Sansa

Why do you think Sansa would die? I'm more concerned about Arya, though the fact that she is GRRM's wife's favorite character, I think, makes me feel a bit better - maybe she'll make sure he keeps her alive.

Next dead Stark?

There's not much of an emotional wallop to be gained in killing off little Rickon; he's a feral five-year-old who did not have time to even learn Stark traditions or have much of a relationship with Ned and Catelyn; he is alternately angry and pathetic because everyone he's loved and depended on has left him.

There's been some foreshadowing of Sansa's death at the hands of Ilyn Payne; since the first time she saw him in the Lancaster retinue on the road to King's Landing, Sansa has felt an unnatural fear of him. Did her fear presage her father's execution by Payne, or perhaps her own? If Sansa is found by Cersei's agents (Ser Shadrich is hanging around at the Vale now working for Littlefinger) and dragged back to King's Landing, she'll have dungeons, torture, a trial for Joffrey's murder, and execution waiting for her. But that won't happen for awhile; I don't think GRRM is anywhere finished Sansa's arc.

Hasn't there been some kind of reference to Arya dying alone in the snow in the North? I personally think that Arya is the last Stark that GRRM would kill, but it's possible; and she's a lone wolf now, as much as Sansa; and could die while the pack (Rickon, possibly Sansa or Jon) survives.

Bran. It's tempting to think he'll be stuck as a tree-symbiote in the far North for the rest of an unnaturally long life and thought to be dead; but I wonder if Stark might pull a fast one on the readers and make him the next Lord Stark when all is done; and have him become Bran the Rebuilder of Winterfell. Even if he can't sire children, if either Rickon or one of their sisters live, the Stark line would survive.

Jon - is probably technically dead, but I doubt it will be for long. If his body is a frozen corpsicle for awhile before Melisandre or Rh'lorr or both revive him, I doubt it will be to become Good King Jon Targaryen or Lord Jon Stark of Winterfell; but to become Azor Azhai and accomplish the destruction of the Others, possibly dying permanently in the process.

Or GRRM might decide that enough is enough and he's not going to kill off any other Starks, rather put them through more danger and stress and then reunite them and have them take revenge and retake Winterfell and the North.

I can't view the list, but yeah, it doesn't surprise me that people ranked her as worse than Ramsay. :dunno:

Well here are the people's vote:

1. Joffrey Baratheon (Normalized Score: 1.000, Ballots: 89.7%)
  2. Walder Frey (0.721, 68.8%)
  3. Cersei Lannister (0.620, 65.0%)
  4. Gregor Clegane (0.463, 59.2%)
  5. Theon Greyjoy (0.398, 50.2%)
  6. Roose Bolton (0.352, 44.7%)
  7. Lysa Tully (0.307, 39.5%)
  8. Catelyn Tully (0.297, 32.2%)
  9. Ramsay Snow (0.217, 29.6%)
  10. Tywin Lannister (0.206, 28.0%)
  11. Viserys III Targaryen (0.205, 33.1%)
  12. Janos Slynt (0.194, 31.8%)
  13. Petyr Baelish (0.172, 22.5%)
  14. Melisandre (0.132, 19.6%)
  15. Alliser Thorne (0.122, 24.4%)
  16. Brienne Tarth (0.122, 13.5%)
  17. Pycelle (0.112, 18.0%)
  18. Balon Greyjoy (0.108, 15.8%)
  19. Sansa Stark (0.106, 14.1%)
  20. Robert Arryn (0.103, 15.1%)

It's official, the MILF in the North is worst then Lord "Pissant", Ramsay and Tywin. Hell Slynt and Viserys are looking pretty nice compared to.

Oh, thanks, Scipio!

It's funny that Cat is ranked so high. It's also odd to see Brienne on that list, but I was expecting to see Sansa, lol.

And honestly, as annoying as he is, I feel bad for Sweetrobin.

Although Joff is extremely annoying, a coward and a big douche, how did Ramsay and Gregor not get higher on that list? Yet Joff totally pwns that ranking...

I think we'd vote differently around here. I hope.

Why do you think Sansa would die? I'm more concerned about Arya, though the fact that she is GRRM's wife's favorite character, I think, makes me feel a bit better - maybe she'll make sure he keeps her alive.

I don't really think she will die, just that she is more likely to die than the rest of the starks. Arya is about to become an assassin, Bran is about to become a wizard-tree and Rickon is about to be re-introduced. At the point these three characters are now, i don't see them dying soon since their story "restarts" in a way.

Although Joff is extremely annoying, a coward and a big douche, how did Ramsay and Gregor not get higher on that list? Yet Joff totally pwns that ranking...

I think we'd vote differently around here. I hope.

Yeah, I'm curious as to how people around here would vote. I would also have put Gregor and Ramsay higher, probably, but maybe it's because Joff was so prominent in Ned's downfall that he's ranked at number one. If more people knew that LF had whispered in Joff's ear, perhaps LF would be higher, too? :dunno:

The voting was before ADWD came out, Ramsay probably would've been a lot higher otherwise.

It's still a ridiculous list, of course.

If Robb had a child with Jeyne I'm sure it will die as soon as it turns up, as there's no time for it to play a big part. But I can still see it happen to stern things up a bit.

LOL. Dany's Fire and Blood accomplishes nothing. She uses it to conquer bedslaves in Essos.

She's conquered three cities. How many have Stan taken? Oh, right! :rolleyes:

Our list from games forum.

Dis-Honorable Mentions:

#20 Little Walder Frey

#20 Qyburn

#20 Tywin Lannister

#17 Lysa Tully

#16 Alliser Thorne

Top 15:

#15 Melisandre

#14 Hizdahr zo Loraq

#13 Aeron Greyjoy, the Damphair

#12 Vargo Hoat

#11 Daario Naharis

#10 Roose Bolton

#09 Aerys Targaryen, The Mad King

#08 Balon Greyjoy

#07 Janos Slynt

#06 Cersei Lannister

#05 Daenerys Targaryen

#04 Gregor Clegane

#03 Joffrey Baratheon

#02 Walder Frey

#01 Ramsay Bolton

I think that the Starks are essentially immortal until they start getting involved with the main plot again. Alayne Stone will not die. Arya will not die as a faceless man in Bravos. Rickon will not die until he runs into someone who would be emotionally scarred by his death (Jon, Bran, Sansa or Arya). Consequently, until at least near the end of Winds of Winter, the Starks will not die. However, predicting more than one book ahead of time is beyond my capabilities. In A Dream of Spring, anything could happen.

So reading this thread, any option is possible: no deaths, or Arya, or Sansa, or Rickon, or Bran, or Benjen, or any combination of the above.

BTW, if you guys "puke" when you read "yet another thread on <insert subject here>", then there is an easy solution: don't read them. Simples. Don't act all Daily Mail reader and comment on things that supposedly you are not interested in.

Haha good stuff...

Archived