Can we list historical events that probably inspired Martin to write his books?

Saci Targaryen

Martin has always said that he is a big fan of human history, and I believe a lot of his passages are inspired by real historic events. I can think 2 examples of little equivocal nature:

1-)When the roman emperor Caligula was murdered, the soldiers who participated on the coup proceeded to rape and kill his wife Caesonia, and killed their 2 year old daughter Julia Drusilla by smashing her against the wall. This resembles Elia Martell and her daughter getting killed by Lannister soldiers.

2-) When the roman senator Crassus, an evil man of unlimited greediness and ambition, was captured by barbarian horsemen called Parthians, they executed him by forcing him to drink molten gold, since he loved gold so much. This in my opinion mirrors Viserys death at the hands of the Dothraki.

Martin has always said that he is a big fan of human history, and I believe a lot of his passages are inspired by real historic events. I can think 2 examples of little equivocal nature:

1-)When the roman emperor Caligula was murdered, the soldiers who participated on the coup proceeded to rape and kill his wife Caesonia, and killed their 2 year old daughter Julia Drusilla by smashing her against a wall. This resembles Elia Martell and her daughter getting killed by Lannister soldiers.

2-) When the roman senator Crassus, an evil man of unlimited greediness and ambition, was captured by barbarian horsemen called Parthians, they executed him by forcing him to drink molten gold, since he loved gold so much. This in my opinion mirrors Viserys death at the hands of the Dothraki.

YES. I picked up on this as soon as I was reading the 'crowned in molten gold' bit - I thought of Crassus straight away

The "dashing the infant's head against a wall" trope goes right back to the start of the western literary tradition; the Achaeans (either Neoptolemus, or Odysseus, depending on the version) killed Astyanax (Hector's son) in that manner when they sacked Troy. Neoptolemus also "took Hector's wife Andromache as a concubine", although in the end she wasn't killed, and survived longer than most of the Achaean heroes.

The War of the Five Kings (inc. Robert's Rebellion), and the Dance of the Dragons, pretty obviously take some inspiration from the Wars of the Roses and the Anarchy, respectively.

Jon Snow's murder at the end of ADwD obviously looks quite a bit like Caesar's murder at the hands of Cassius et al, although the number of conspirators in the Watch seems to have been lower.

The Doom of Valyria was apparently partially inspired by the destruction of the Pink and White Terraces in New Zealand.

The "dashing the infant's head against a wall" trope goes right back to the start of the western literary tradition; the Achaeans (either Neoptolemus, or Odysseus, depending on the version) killed Astyanax (Hector's son) in that manner when they sacked Troy. Neoptolemus also "took Hector's wife Andromache as a concubine", although in the end she wasn't killed, and survived longer than most of the Achaean heroes.

The War of the Five Kings (inc. Robert's Rebellion), and the Dance of the Dragons, pretty obviously take some inspiration from the Wars of the Roses and the Anarchy, respectively.

Jon Snow's murder at the end of ADwD obviously looks quite a bit like Caesar's murder at the hands of Cassius et al, although the number of conspirators in the Watch seems to have been lower.

The Doom of Valyria was apparently partially inspired by the destruction of the Pink and White Terraces in New Zealand.

They threw Astyanax off of the walls of Troy, but yes it is very similar.

Braavosi stuff.

The Titan of Braavos:

This is from evita:

Anyways, you mentioned the Titan of Braavos, and I like the way you linked it to Hekate the Titaness. I just wanted to share with you Martin's likely allusion to the Colossus of Rhodes.

Martin seems to have read, even studied, the Shakespeare tragedy of Julius Caesar, for he has even quoted multiple passages from the play, substituting Shakespeare’s words with those of his own. In the case of the Titan of Braavos, in the tragedy, Caius Cassius tries to convince the honorable Brutus to join the conspiracy to murder Caesar, and he artfully manipulates Brutus by appealing to known aspects of his character: his honor, his patriotism, and his stoicism.

Cassius also paints a picture for Brutus of Caesar’s growing power by making an allusion to one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, the Colossus of Rhodes, an enormous statue of the Titan Helios who straddles of Harbor of Rhodes, one foot planted on each side to form a bridge of sorts, and the ships entered the harbor by passing between and beneath the legs of the statue. [There are probably drawings on-line of the Colossus – an artist’s rendering for the real Colussus was destroyed in an earthquake, I believe].

Anyway, and I’ m paraphrasing from memory, Cassius tells Brutus of Caesar: “Why man, he [Caesar] does bestride the narrow world like a Colossus, and we petty men peep out beneath his legs like dishonorable graves.” Brutus suggests that Caesar has grown in power and now he looms over Rome like the statue of the Titan. The Romans are the dishonorable graves who are tiny figures standing at the feet of Caesar – so small and ineffective, Caesar may stomp on them and extinguish them in one devastating move.

Now, I believe Martin’s Titan of Braavos is based on the Colossus of Rhodes, which really did stand at one time. Martin probably knows the history of the seven wonders of the ancient world as well – so he may have been inspired by either the history aspect, or he may have been inspired by Shakespeare’s mention of the statue.

I thought you might like to know the background of the possible allusion Martin makes to the Colossus. Personally, the Titan of Braavos is one of my favorite monuments in the novels. I love the description of Arya passing beneath the legs of the statue – and Martin probably had a great time writing that scene, for he puts his character in a ship that passes between and beneath the legs that also straddle an entranceway. It would have been like re-imagining history through Arya’s eyes – conveying the frightening yet exciting experience it might have been for sailors arriving at Rhodes, directing their ships between the legs to guide them safely into the harbor.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/76013-arya-no-one-and-the-water-motif-in-braavos/page__st__300#entry3802475

I believe the FM were inspired by these two:

Braavos seems to be based on Venice.

But the capital of conspiracy in Italy was Venice, where the architects of evil were the Council of Ten, a special tribunal created to avert plots and crimes against the state. To accomplish poisoning, the council would contract with an assassin, usually from another city. The deed, when done, was paid for through an intermediary. Funds were readily available for such matters, and the council kept two accountings: one for public dealings and one for those of a private nature.

The council's cloak-and-poison-dagger proceedings were recorded officially (opposite, bottom) in a thin volume marked Secreto Secretissima ("top top secret"). Those present swore twice on the Bible to keep the meetings secret, forbidden even to admit they took place. Today the ledger sits in a soaring arched space in the state archives in Venice.

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/health-and-human-body/human-body/poison-toxic-tales/#page=1

And the hashshashins the original assassins in Persia. There's talk of being led to a paradise which the KM mentioned dark angels do for those who receive the gift.

The Assassins were generally young in age giving them the physical strength and stamina which would be required to carry out these murders. However, physical prowess was not the only trait that was required to be a "Fida'i". To get to their targets, the Assassins had to be patient, cold, and calculating. They were generally intelligent and well read because they were required to possess not only knowledge about their enemy, but his or her culture and their native language. They were trained by their masters to disguise themselves, sneak in to enemy territory and perform the assassinations instead of simply attacking their target outright.[7]

The KM told Arya only to give the gift to those who the MFG has chosen not bystanders.

Hashashins executed those who represented a threat to the Nizari cause and Islam, but would rarely attack ordinary citizens though and tended not to be hostile towards them. They favored one single assassination than the wide bloodshed of actual combat. Genocide was not tolerated, and the hashashins believed that large political assassinations would bring peace and a true sense of security to the common people. Slaying innocents and civilian bystanders who did not need to die could spread strife and discord, in addition to ruining the name of the Nizari order.[16]

They were considered a cult by some. The FM have been referred to as such.

The Hashshashin (also Hashishin), or Assassins were a religious group (some would say a cult) of Ismaili Muslims from the Nizari sub-sect with a militant basis, thought to be active in the 8th to 14th centuries as a mystic secret society specializing in terrorizing the Abbasid elite with fearlessly executed, politically motivated assassinations. Their own name for the sect was al-da'wa al-jad

Both groups used poison. The Hashshashins would carry out assassinations out in the open which the FM have done.

The differences I could see are that the FM aren't solely politically/ideologically motivated. They will give others the gift. Some areas are more advanced like some of the things they studied. I guess GRRM compensates by making the FM more magical. Although it's possible that FM are trained in law and such but since Arya is young or even possibly female she did not get the training.

A single assassination was usually employed in favour of widespread bloodshed resulting from factional combat. Hashashin are also made to be adept in furusiyya, or the Islamic warrior code, where they are trained in combat, disguises, and equestrianism. Codes of conducts are followed, and the hashashin are taught in the art of war, linguistics, and strategies.

Archived