The Physics of Eating a Horse's Heart

Blue Rose Prince

While watching Game of Thrones the other day, my dad (a farmer, of course) pointed out that the average horse's heart weighs something like nine pounds. I was completely stuck for an answer, so I re-read the chapter in the book. Sure enough, Dany eats the whole wild stallion heart raw.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion as to how this might have been possible? Or did GRRM just not know or throw it in for the sake of art?

PS. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the scene. I'm just wondering...

[[edited for grammar]]

While watching Game of Thrones the other day, my dad (a farmer, of course) pointed out that the average horse's heart weighs something like nine pounds. I was completely stuck for an answer, so I re-read the chapter in the book. Sure enough, Dany eats the whole wild stallion heart raw.

Does anyone out there have an suggestion as too how this might have been possible? Or did GRRM just not know or throw it in for the sake of art?

PS. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the scene. I'm just wondering...

When we feel that we have no choice, we can do some pretty incredible things. Plus, Dany had been training up until that point to eat the heart.

Definite BS. When you run across this sort of thing, you just look the other way and whistle like you never saw it.

In the latest WoW sample chapter, similarly, there's a reference to Oberyn Martell's bastard teenaged daughter jousting.

Well... I'm thinking a 16-year old girl would almost certainly have major difficulties trying to hoist a 12-foot-long tourney lance from one end, keep it parallel to the ground, and somehow strike a trained knight with it... while riding a horse and wearing armor... all before the knight hits her first. Most girls can't do a pullup.

Archived