Tyrion in the next books?

Xperte

Launch an invasion of a mountainous country with its troops at full strength? While LF, who wants Tyrion dead, in charge? Don't know about that.

I hope so, he has to pay for killing Tywin -- would that be ironic, or something?

The Vale can be easily invaded by sea, which is the ony way Tyrion can arrive at the Vale from his current location. The only people in the Mountains of the Moon are former cohorts of his. Tyrion has a score to settle with Lysa, and he will have an army and three dragons.

The region is untouched, and hasn't lost any forces in the war, as well as having a natural defense provided by the mountains, making it the ideal place to land and gather forces.

ETA: Tyrion knows that LF would join with the side that grants the most rewards or the winning side.

ETA: I'd like to add to Ser Wun Wun's statement

Yollo? Yollo sounds like something you might name a monkey.

Victarion had forbidden his men to bring any of the demonic creatures aboard the ship, yet somehow his fleet was now infested with them, even his own Iron Victory. He could see some now, swinging from spar to spar and ship to ship. Would that I had a crossbow.

Tyrion killed Tywin with a crossbow, and Tyrion relates to using the crossbow often throughout ADwD.

ETA: I'd like to add to Ser Wun Wun's statement

Yollo? Yollo sounds like something you might name a monkey.

Victarion had forbidden his men to bring any of the demonic creatures aboard the ship, yet somehow his fleet was now infested with them, even his own Iron Victory. He could see some now, swinging from spar to spar and ship to ship. Would that I had a crossbow.

Tyrion killed Tywin with a crossbow, and Tyrion relates to using the crossbow often throughout ADwD.

Go teamwork :cheers:

Add all this up and I think the foreshadowing for a Tyrion vs. Vic situation is pretty strong.

Probably steal his dragon horn and then dragon, then onto bigger and better things.

And I believe this would definitely fit the definition of a bittersweet ending...emphasis on the bitter.

Don't worry that's not the ending, all the schemers are too smart for their own good in the end.

Even though I have my doubts about Tyrion specifically targeting the Vale as a good landing point, I do think there is some suggestion in the books that Tyrion is on a collision course with the Vale: he has a score to settle, the mountain clans are there to whom he promised the Vale, he's got business with Littlefinger (if he ever manages to put together that Littlefinger was behind the PW frameup), and Sansa is there (at least as of AFFC). There are a lot of potential storylines to tie off there.

On the other hand, there is some suggestion in the books that Tyrion is on a collision course with Casterly Rock, which seems likely if Cersei flees back there with Tommen as speculated, and Jaime also makes his way there. And I can't see him bopping around Westeros and hitting both Casterly Rock and the Vale. If I had to pick one, I'd say Casterly Rock was more likely.

GRRM has said that there will be future POVs at Casterly Rock and Highgarden, as "important events" take place there, and what could be more important than a Tyrion-led siege of Casterly Rock to reclaim his believed birthright?

Even though I have my doubts about Tyrion specifically targeting the Vale as a good landing point, I do think there is some suggestion in the books that Tyrion is on a collision course with the Vale: he has a score to settle, the mountain clans are there to whom he promised the Vale, he's got business with Littlefinger (if he ever manages to put together that Littlefinger was behind the PW frameup), and Sansa is there (at least as of AFFC). There are a lot of potential storylines to tie off there.

There's some early foreshadowing with SR saying he wants to see Tyrion "fly". This could end up being on dragon back rather than out of the Moon door. Also the Eyrie being impregnable has been brought up on numerous occasions and the one thing it would be at risk of is Dragon attack. The Vale Clans are a problem as to use them, it would alienate the actual Lords and people of the Vale who have suffered at their hands, and even more so now that Tyrion has armed them.

GRRM has said that there will be future POVs at Casterly Rock and Highgarden, as "important events" take place there, and what could be more important than a Tyrion-led siege of Casterly Rock to reclaim his believed birthright?

Cersei having Roslin and baby killed and then being strangled by Edmure, Cat's little brother?

I think that Euron will eventually be tempted to hit the Rock, especially once Redwyn and Garlan make the Reach a less fun place to be. I wouldn't be surprised if Dany's first stop on her Westeros Return Tour is the Rock either. Its lightly defended, easy to reach by sea; and killing Euron, getting at the Rock's gold supplies and having Edmure as her "guest" would put Dany in charge of the Ironborn (Victarion would be their new lord), the Westerlands through Tyrion, and the Riverlands through Edmure.

I'll cry if Tyrion ends up being a dragon rider. And they won't be tears of joy.

It seems foreordained that Tyrion will somehow work with/for Dany, but I can't imagine how GRRM is going to make that partnership believable. Tyrion is everything Dany hates, and if she returns to Meereen the way I think she will -- mounted on Drogon and leading a super-Khal that will sweep away the Yunkish and their allies -- what the hell will she need him for?

And yeah, Tyrion as a dragon rider. No. Just No. Especially not if he's supposed to ride on my pet Viserion.

Tyrion is so good in convincing people and hiding his real intention. Dany may end up accepting him 'coz of his political wits and knowledge about dragons. I just so hope that the dragons can smell a lie. The direwolves do not like Tyrion, even Ghost though he and Jon were "friends"). If Marwyn's intention to Dany is good, I'd rather have him help her.

I want him to get a dragon and die heroically in battle with the Others and have all of Westeros praise his name and have a giant statue of him raised in King's Landing.

No, seriously.

I'm in so much trouble . . .

If it happens beyond the wall, you ain't getting much credit for it below the wall. Tyrion seems doomed to never get proper credit for anything good.

I know Daario is a douche and all, but between him and Victarion, I would be rooting for Daario. Can't wait to see him get his comeuppance.

As far as Tyrion and Dany, it'll be a hard sell but Tyrion will be able to sway her, as he always does. And as many have said, Tyrion is the advisor Dany so desperately needs. But story-wise I have a hard time imaging Tyrion tagging along with Dany for too long a period of time. I imagine she'll send him off on some autonomous duty by the end of Winds if not sooner.

I feel like you guys are underestimating Vic, totally and utterly.

GRRM didn't have these guys sale around a third of the world just for them to die on the spot.

Whatever the result of the battle, I expect Vic to be the cause.

I'm expecting Vic to steal one of the dragons with the horn and go back to Westeros and start causing havoc.

This will finally give Dany a reason to go to Westeros and she'll get her arse in gear.

Wasn't he doubting himself and slowing down? He was starting to feel old. I got a sense of foreboding.

Yeah, I got a major feeling that Barristan's end is near. I feel like he MAY survive the battle, but as a whole, I can't see him surviving book 6.

Quentyn sailed half the world too but died trying to steal Dany's dragons. Vic have a magic dragonhorn though, we shall see...

I can't help but think of Quentyn, but you're probably right. Vic is going to sway the balance of power in Slaver's Bay. Dany doesn't have a navy of her own, after all, and all kinds of ships are heading straight for Meereen.

Quentyn?

The thing that the three of you are forgetting is that Quentyn serves many purposes, especially with his dying. With him dying, (1) Dorne's allegiance to Dany is now thrown into question. With him dying, (2) we SEE what would've befallen to any of the suitors(Vic, Aegon) had they arrived instead. (3) We see that someone WITH dragonblood wouldn't be able to tame a dragon necessarily. Also, (4) with Quentyn, that gives us just another view in Essos which is vastly less explored than Westeros so far. And finally, this gives us (5) our first insights into the WIndblown and the Tattered Prince.

The first is majorly important to the plot. Common sense.

The second isn't terribly important, but without it, we'd be left with a sense of "WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF VIC ARRIVED BEFORE THE BATTLE? IF AEGON DIDN'T CHANGE COURSE?" and as a whole it'd be a hole in the plot. It's like in The Usual Suspects when, *SPOILERS*, when Fenster is murdered halfway through the movie. As a whole, Fenster just serves the role as comic relief and doesn't do anything for the plot at large besides dying. But his death is essential because it shows the other characters that should they run away, they'll be doomed as well. The point i'm trying to make, is sometimes a death tells plenty about the potential lifespan of other characters should they make the same mistake.

The third... well i'm not sure if this is a onetime thing, or if it will play into other characters with Targ blood being unable to control dragons later down the line. Either way, this is a detail that i'm sure GRRM threw in for a reason. A prelude to something major, potentially in the last book? We'll see.

The fourth is just important in general. If Dany and and Tyrion had ALL of the explanations of things in Essos, that'd be boring and eyeroll worthy. Barristan is in Meereen, so he can't explain the continent unless GRRM gave him useless flashbacks and expository scenes. Vic never really went ashore, so... yeah. Leaves it all to Griff(who only had one chapter ON Essos) and Quentyn. As a whole, this point isn't essential, but it's cool to have another look into Essos. Helps build the world and such.

Fifth and finally, we don't know really ANYTHING about The Tattered Prince, but I get the sense that he will become majorly important as will the Windblown. So those first insights will be crucial upon rereads when the series is over, i'm sure.

As a whole, I CAN'T STAND IT when people say "WHY DID QUENTYN NEED TO BE A POV? HE DID NOTHING. WHAT A WASTE OF FOUR CHAPTERS BLAH BLAH" - honestly, I think Quentyn's four chapters were some of the best in ADwD and he was easily one of my favorite POV characters of the whole book. The fact Quentyn has loads of interesting parallels with his father, uncle Oberyn and sister Arianne is especially cool.

Oh yeah, with Quentyn, we also learn quite a bit about those two knights of his who are still alive. And I imagine they will serve SOME important role in the story to come as well, even if it's just returning Quentyn's remains to Dorne and explaining to Doran that Dany is a psychocunt who killed her son.

I think the entire reason GRRM kept Dany in Mereen for so long was simply to give everyone that needs to be there time to get there. There is a high chance the Battle of Mereen will be well worth the wait.

Agreed.

Certainly possible the entire purpose of Vic was to deliver some ships to Dany, although he doesn't know it yet. :lol:

Never thought about this, but now it seems to me like the most possible situation. So Tyrion can give Daenerys the Second Sons to take them to Westeros. So she got the Second Sons, the Unsullied, three Dragos and the Iron Fleet. Looks like enough power to take Westeros alone if she doesn`t take Aegon for real.

I know Daario is a douche and all, but between him and Victarion, I would be rooting for Daario. Can't wait to see him get his comeuppance.

As far as Tyrion and Dany, it'll be a hard sell but Tyrion will be able to sway her, as he always does. And as many have said, Tyrion is the advisor Dany so desperately needs. But story-wise I have a hard time imaging Tyrion tagging along with Dany for too long a period of time. I imagine she'll send him off on some autonomous duty by the end of Winds if not sooner.

Come on Victorion would chew him up and spit out the seeds.

The thing that the three of you are forgetting is that Quentyn serves many purposes, especially with his dying. With him dying, (1) Dorne's allegiance to Dany is now thrown into question. With him dying, (2) we SEE what would've befallen to any of the suitors(Vic, Aegon) had they arrived instead. (3) We see that someone WITH dragonblood wouldn't be able to tame a dragon necessarily. Also, (4) with Quentyn, that gives us just another view in Essos which is vastly less explored than Westeros so far. And finally, this gives us (5) our first insights into the WIndblown and the Tattered Prince.

Nah, I've got a decent memory. I hope I didn't truly come off as implying that Quentyn was pointless. I liked his character, and I liked his story, which certainly accomplished the things you mentioned. Wish Dany had reacted differently, but that neither here nor there.

But he did sail across the world just to die. That's only parallel, I think, that any of us had in mind, because it makes the point that Vic isn't necessarily safe. Vic, if he dies in Slaver's Bay, certainly won't do so before he accomplishes something. But that is pretty obvious, I guess, and I think you yourself said the same thing in a later post, which I hadn't seen at the time of my original post, so we're not disagreeing about anything here, as far as I can tell.

As a whole, I CAN'T STAND IT when people say "WHY DID QUENTYN NEED TO BE A POV? HE DID NOTHING. WHAT A WASTE OF FOUR CHAPTERS BLAH BLAH" - honestly, I think Quentyn's four chapters were some of the best in ADwD and he was easily one of my favorite POV characters of the whole book. The fact Quentyn has loads of interesting parallels with his father, uncle Oberyn and sister Arianne is especially cool.

I agree.

Archived