Why do the vast majority of the ASOIAF fan-base strongly dislike/hate Daario?

Theda Baratheon

He's a loud mouthed, obnoxious jerk, who dresses like a clown and needs a shave. Not to mention his loyalties are questionable and he's a major distraction that Dany didn't really need in her life. That and I don't like his name. Daario. It sounds like Mario but it isn't and that annoys me.

The only thing I don't like about him is how little I trust him. Plus he's kind of sleazy.

To be fair so far all of the things he said he'd do for Dany, he has.

And being a bit of a sleazy git in comparison to some of the characters is a bit of a weak reason to hate someone. :lol:

Whatever Dario is FABULOUS.

I just don't always like the effect he has on Dany. Diminishes what used to be such a great character i think.

I think he should ride a purple dragon and play a lute in the shape of a strange symbol for his name.

He's part of the Essos story line for once, where not many people are invested. Add to that we get to see Dany constantly mooning over him instead of doing anything interesting and his overall douche attitude you have a the recipe for a very unlikable character.

I guess I can give him a pass for that scene where Dany was picturing his gold tooth shining in the sun :lmao: :lmao:

His gold tooth grosses me out.

But seriously, he is just a frustrating character and I don't see what Dany sees in him. She risks a lot by sleeping with him, and I just can't understand how he is worth it. I think that more than anything, Dany is attracted to what he represents. He is freewheeling, flamboyant, and proud, all of which are qualities that Dany can't afford to be herself. In a way, she is kind of objectifying him to fulfill her fantasies.

here what i wrote on another thread, the main reason i hate him is point 1, i don't want to hear about him every other line

It's not much different from Shae, both Tyrion and Dany willfully blind themselves to what they are. Tyrion knows she only loves him for his gold (which is debatable) but gives his heart to her and Dany knows he is a sellsword only wants her because she is powerful (he loves the dragon queen not me). I think the reason Daarrio is so frowned upon is because

1) Dany obsesses about him much like Tyrion and Shae. If you read Jamie in sos and Jon in adwd (2 charcters who are sex deprived at the time) in they make a comment on how they basically want val/cersei then move on whereas Dany and Tyrion repeatedly dwell on their lovers;

2) when she finally gives in she makes no attempt to hide it and she has willingly just betrothed herself to another man;

3) she stops trying to rule when she gives in. Daarrio is escapism, he literally says escape into me, but Dany is not in a position to do this as queen and whats worse she willingly decided to stay and be queen;

4) she knows its the girl in her as she remarks on it when she wants him and Jon gets advice from Aemon about killing the boy;

5) and probably the biggest factor is that he claims to be a badass, dany believes him, but we haven't seen him do anything particularly bad ass and if you read between the lines he's not a good a fighter as he claims to be (Dany is sow says we know he is a great Warrior, Joreh says we know he s a great talker

and i forgot 6) he claism its only a good day if he's killed a man and she knows he is a monster and still takes him to bed

That said Dany gets knocked for the relationship way too much, but once you choose to put on the crown or take power of some kind, sex in westeros ceases to be just sex (most of the time)

I don't mind him, but I'll be perfectly happy when Dany moves on (though I think someone will have to kill him first). Anyway I think the reason he isn't liked is because he's a bit sleezy, because he makes Dany into a mooning teenager (which she is but one of the reasons it sucks to be Queen is that she doesn't really get to be a mooning teenager), and a think a bit because everyone knows someone who has dated someone who was totally wrong for them where they just had to wait the relationship out, cause no amount of point out how bad the person was would change anything. Given the speed at which Martin has been writing of late, I can see how the prospect of waiting five years to see Dany get over Darrio might be too much for some.

To be fair so far all of the things he said he'd do for Dany, he has.

And being a bit of a sleazy git in comparison to some of the characters is a bit of a weak reason to hate someone. :lol:

Agreed on the bolded. But he's only with Dany because he betrayed his sellsword "brothers." He's a sellsword and a turncloak; he really has shit for honor, as far as In concerned.

Saying that, I do find him amusing.

Archived