May's What Are You Reading Thread

Werthead

Finished up Dying of the Light last week. Its the first Martin I've read outside of the world of Westeros.

It was quite a beautiful novel. More of a love story than anything else.

My thoughts on it can be found here

My copy of Stross's The Clan Corporate showed up on Friday just in time for the weekend. It appears I'd forgotten some of what happened at the end of book two, but as I get into things its coming back to me.

My copy of Stross's The Clan Corporate showed up on Friday just in time for the weekend. It appears I'd forgotten some of what happened at the end of book two, but as I get into things its coming back to me.

I picked that up on Friday as well. Haven't delved into it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

Finished Naomi Novik's Temeraire and am in the middle of Throne of Jade. Delightful reading, easy-going yet well written. I recommend these to anyone looking for some good light fantasy. I guess the third book is coming soon, but someone (Pat? Stego?) posted that it ends on a cliffhanger :(. Is the fourth book out in the UK?

Jaxom, have you read these yet? I'd be interested in a Pern-lover's thoughts.

Next up, The Glass Castle, a memoir by Jeannette Wallis.

snow "dragon!" leo

Having finished Greg Keyes' The Briar King, which felt very much like a standard fantasy epic, I began reading Michael A. Stackpole's Perchance to Dream, a collection of his short stories. So far, excellent.

However, that is too large to fit in my bag along with my iPod, so it's staying home right now, and I have... Erikson's Gardens of the Moon with me. I think.

Finished "The Code of the Woosters" by P.G. Wodehouse. Some hilarious stuff. Rather like an extended episode of Frasier.

And finished listening to Harry Potter 5 & 6 on the iPod. Good stuff while working on refinishing my basement, but I'll need a lot more good audio cause it's probably going to take me a couple years to finish this project.

Finished "No Country for Old Men" by Cormac McCarthy. Wow. Really good. Some great, intense dialogue.

Currently working on "The Chess Garden" by Brooks Hansen. About halfway through and it's living up to the stellar reviews I've read.

I love Cormac McCarthy, between Dead Wood and McCarthy, it has been proven Westerns can be interesting.

Currently working on "The Chess Garden" by Brooks Hansen. About halfway through and it's living up to the stellar reviews I've read.

Great book :)

Just finished reading The Baby Merchant by Kit Reed.

To say I hated it would be the understatment of the century. It was the ultimate misandrist wet dream, and an embarssment to genre fiction.

I 'reviewed' it here.

I could not sleep last night due to how agitated I was by this book. I truly considered comparing it to Mein Kampf in my review. Reed's book is disgusting, and reading this book is like staring into the face of someone who hates you because you happen to have a penis.

Reading Toni Morrison's Beloved. Almost finished and enjoying it v. much.

Yes, it is a very powerful stuff, isn't it? I wonder if her other books are worth it, or whether she is more of a one-tune writer. Her depiction of uncrossable gulf between Blacks and Whites and even well-meaning Whites being selfish dishonest in their support was pretty depressing. Very painful to read, even.

The Baby Merchant is hate mongering of the highest order, and I have never been made so physically ill and upset by a work of fiction. Avoid it like the plague

Lol!

Loved that review Stego. A side effect however is that you have now tempted me to read it, just to see how extreme and pervading the anti-male narration is. Just from reading your review it seems quite far out.

Never heard of a Kit Reed book before btw.

i am reading The Knight by Gene Wolfe. i am about 150 pages in, and i really do not like it very much, so far. i hope it gets better, but i doubt it, since it's the prose that i do not find very appealing.

Finished up The Clan Corporate by Charles Stross tonight.

I liked it a lot, but was left a bit disappointed in it all the same. It had a much different feel to in than the first two volumes.

Read my thoughts on it here

Starting Philip K. Dick's, The Man in the High Castle I'm embarresed to admit my only exposure to Dick's works so far has been in movies, so its long past time I read this. :blush:

Archived