Jons Parentage Revealed

NathanStark

Its been speculated to the point where im hoping it comes from an unexpected source because the detail in which these forums have went over the howland reed possibility or Benjen etc has pretty much pieced the story together for us so im praying for a suprise :D

Crazy theory with a spoiler from Winds of Winter.

Bran finds out through his weirwood recollections about R+L=J and using the crows to influence Stannis sends Theon to be executed, where he reveals himself and tells Theon to go find Cat and send her to Howland Reed. There she will learn the truth R+L=J and be sent to the wall to deliver the Kiss to Jon completing both her and Theon’s redemption.

ive loved the idea of uncat giving jon the kiss before, but lets not forget, why would cat believe theon about not killing her kids and there fore kill him on the spot being so hell bent on revenvege and all?

Bloodraven absolutely knows and I think he is responsible for the direwolves finding their way to the Stark kids. I think it is highly significant that Jon's wolf is white with red eyes exactly like BR himself and that Jon and BR both are half Targ with noble blood on the other side as well. Bran could tell Jon without being physically present the same way he communicated with him in the frostfangs in ACoK telling him to open his third eye, etc. So my prediction is BR/Bran telling Jon.

I would say Howland Reed, but as we know virtually nothing about what the guy is up to, I think GRRM will surprise us. If not concerning the "who" will reveal the truth on Jon's parents, I'm sure the "how" and the circumstances under which such truth is delivered will be amazing (...and no, I cannot figure out that R+L=J is not going to be overtly stated).

ive loved the idea of uncat giving jon the kiss before, but lets not forget, why would cat believe theon about not killing her kids and there fore kill him on the spot being so hell bent on revenvege and all?

I picture Theon bringing Cat to a weirwood to speak to Bran herself. If he tells her Bran and Rickon are still alive, I think it will become the only thing on her mind. After all she does truly love her kids.

She was always a jerk to Jon. Is it his fault that he is (supposed) bastard of Ned? Shouldn't she hate Ned for that instead of Jon?

If it wasn't for Ned and Robb, she would have thrown Jon out of Winterfell for good.

I think she also despised Jon for bearing a more striking resemblance to Ned and the Stark look than her own trueborn children and that its a constant reminder to Neds infidelity.

I picture Theon bringing Cat to a weirwood to speak to Bran herself. If he tells her Bran and Rickon are still alive, I think it will become the only thing on her mind. After all she does truly love her kids.

I agree she does love her kids, although what remains of Cat in Uncat is quite uncertain, but it is a possibility.

Jon's mother will go to the wall to bury him. she will say that he looks just like his dad (ned). and all the R+L=J fans will die.

kidding, I think Jon will never know, he will stay as Jon Snow/Stark the rest of his life, even if he is a half targ (I won't believe it till I see it btw) I think that the mistery of his mother (to him) is to important to be revealed.

I subscribe to R+L=J; however, I do not believe Howland will play a hug erole in the reveal. I think there is some sort of decree or something in the Winterfell crypts that will have more clout the one simple crannogman. Perhaps a document signed by Rhaegar, Lyanna, Kingsguard at the Tower of Joy, Howland, Ned, or a combination of them.

I think that if Jon's parentage is ever directly revealed to him it will come from Bran via dream.

In fact, I'll go one step farther and speculate that Bran already knows the truth about Jon, having been visited briefly by Eddard after his execution. From AGoT:

The mention of dreams reminded him. “I dreamed about the crow again last night. The one with three eyes. He flew into my bedchamber and told me to come with him, so I did. We went down to the crypts. Father was there, and we talked. He was sad.”

“And why was that?” Luwin peered through his tube.

“It was something to do about Jon, I think.” The dream had been deeply disturbing, more so than any of the other crow dreams.

I think that if Jon's parentage is ever directly revealed to him it will come from Bran via dream.

In fact, I'll go one step farther and speculate that Bran already knows the truth about Jon, having been visited briefly by Eddard after his execution. From AGoT:

Good find. I figured with Bran now going to be connected to all the weirwoods throughout time we would find out a bunch of interesting information. Didn't figured he could have already known though.

Good find. I figured with Bran now going to be connected to all the weirwoods throughout time we would find out a bunch of interesting information. Didn't figured he could have already known though.

i didn't think bran already knew, but there was a hint of how bran will discover the truth when he saw ned in the weirwood and says something along the lines of "let them grow as brothers and may cat forgive me..... etc etc"

I don't think that Bran is consciously aware of that information. In that passage Bran clearly cannot recall the details of just what Eddard's "ghost" told him about Jon. But a little nugget of truth may be there, buried in Bran's memory. Maybe something that Bran experiences in his greenseeing training will revive that memory for him.

And, the only other individual who would know about Jon's parentage would be Howland Reed, who seems less and less likely to make a real appearance in the novels. So, we're left to conclude that if someone is going to tell Jon that he's totally a legit Stark plus an heir to the Iron Throne, it would be Bran.

i see the dream as being more like a starting point for bran to investigate furthur. i also still believe the letter ned gave to varys also contains the truth. i mean robert is dead and jon is a member of the nw so if he is a targ then what harm could the truth bring now???

Sorry guys, didn't mean it to turn into a love/hate Cat discussion. Just saying, Cat shouldn't be a 'redemption' character. Its been argued too much, but think from the mind frame of a mother and her decisions are nowhere near bad.

Now as to the actual topic, I think Jon's parentage reveal will come to him through Bran. Its inevitable since they're in the same region (relatively speaking, since we don't really know how far north CotTEC is.)

Seven hells. Did you read the part when she took Tyrion capture under the pretense of a known schemer having told her he won a knife in a bet. Or when she released the kingslayer prompting Karstarks betrayal and Robb losing a portion of his army. In my opinion she is, along with Jaime, one of the characters that needs the most redemption.

Oh and 1. Catelyn didn't know he was a schemer. She knew the boy, not the man. Compare with 'you knew the man, not the king' with Eddard. His word was reliable. She gets a pass on me for this; her son is in a coma from being stabbed. 2. She released Jamie under the pretense that her youngest children were dead. once again, mother sympathy. and comparing her with Jaime's redemption? She didn't knowingly sire bastards with the wife of a king viciously won his throne by being excellent in battle and rage, never mind the fact that incest is generally frowned upon. She didn't push any kids out the window to protect his incest secrets and the lives of his bastards. So if anything, Jaime caused any irrational decision's made by Catelyn by sending in her downward spiral of losing her family.

I am really hoping Lady Stoneheart kills Jaime painfully. :)

Archived