Jons Parentage Revealed

NathanStark

Crazy theory with a spoiler from Winds of Winter.

Bran finds out through his weirwood recollections about R+L=J and using the crows to influence Stannis sends Theon to be executed, where he reveals himself and tells Theon to go find Cat and send her to Howland Reed. There she will learn the truth R+L=J and be sent to the wall to deliver the Kiss to Jon completing both her and Theon’s redemption.

The problem though is that Cat isn't really..like she isn't really a person anymore. She's more like a zombie that is choosy about its meals. I'm not sure she could sit down with Howland Reed over tea and have a conversation.

Jon's mother will go to the wall to bury him. she will say that he looks just like his dad (ned). and all the R+L=J fans will die.

kidding, I think Jon will never know, he will stay as Jon Snow/Stark the rest of his life, even if he is a half targ (I won't believe it till I see it btw) I think that the mistery of his mother (to him) is to important to be revealed.

Read the So Spake Martin Section because he does say that more of Jon's parentage will be revealed. He also said we will learn more of what happened at the TOJ. Sorry if I disappoint you.

I still have this hunch, small as it may be, that Darkstar is a strong possibility, given his mystery relation to Arthur Dayne, who was guarding the Tower of Joy at the time of Ned's arrival. If Lyanna had a baby isn't it possible that Arthur may have found out and passed the information on to someone in his family who has kept it a secret all this time?

Interesting topic, I was just thinking about this the other day during a re-read. I'm definitely leaning towards believing that Benjen Stark knew/knows of Jon's parentage. Not because of any one decisive line or indication, but because Benjen is the only person who both 1) deserved to know and 2) could be trusted to be told. Lyanna demanding that Ned promise to keep Jon's parentage a secret "in general" is one thing -- to make him keep it a secret from their completely trustworthy (and also-heart-broken) brother is quite another.

Most likely Howland Reed will tell him. I doubt Benjen Stark knows if Ned wouldn't even tell Cat to make her stop tormenting Jon. The only way Benjen could know is if Ned told him as he was taking Jon in case he died. I feel like that would have been hinted in a POV that they were heavily discussing something.

It's unfortunate for Jon's sake that he's being tormented by Cat, but if the secret were to get out Jon's life would be forfeit, and Ned could be branded a traitor of the realm. And though he may love Catelyn, can he really trust his new wife with that secret? She's not from the North, or of his blood, and you know how insular/self-assured the Starks/Northerners are about their own values/trustworthiness. Besides, if it's known that his wife treats his bastard son coldly, that only helps to sell the story that he really is Ned's bastard.

Then again, if I'm playing devils advocate, why did Benjen Stark go to the wall to begin with? It seems reasonable to speculate it's because he was heart-broken, and (with Robb's birth) no longer needed as an heir to Winterfell. Maybe Ned never told him about Jon and he took the black as a means of trying to forget (or somehow escape) the deaths of his beloved sister, brother and father? If he had known that some part of Lyanna lived on, does he take the black? Does he let Jon (even reluctantly) take the black when he comes of age, or does he fight him harder on the issue? Interesting stuff.

I still have this hunch, small as it may be, that Darkstar is a strong possibility, given his mystery relation to Arthur Dayne, who was guarding the Tower of Joy at the time of Ned's arrival. If Lyanna had a baby isn't it possible that Arthur may have found out and passed the information on to someone in his family who has kept it a secret all this time?

wasn't Darkstar just a boy back then?

Interesting topic, I was just thinking about this the other day during a re-read. I'm definitely leaning towards believing that Benjen Stark knew/knows of Jon's parentage. Not because of any one decisive line or indication, but because Benjen is the only person who both 1) deserved to know and 2) could be trusted to be told. Lyanna demanding that Ned promise to keep Jon's parentage a secret "in general" is one thing -- to make him keep it a secret from their completely trustworthy (and also-heart-broken) brother is quite another.

It's unfortunate for Jon's sake that he's being tormented by Cat, but if the secret were to get out Jon's life would be forfeit, and Ned could be branded a traitor of the realm. And though he may love Catelyn, can he really trust his new wife with that secret? She's not from the North, or of his blood, and you know how insular/self-assured the Starks/Northerners are about their own values/trustworthiness. Besides, if it's known that his wife treats his bastard son coldly, that only helps to sell the story that he really is Ned's bastard.

Then again, if I'm playing devils advocate, why did Benjen Stark go to the wall to begin with? It seems reasonable to speculate it's because he was heart-broken, and (with Robb's birth) no longer needed as an heir to Winterfell. Maybe Ned never told him about Jon and he took the black as a means of trying to forget (or somehow escape) the deaths of his beloved sister, brother and father? If he had known that some part of Lyanna lived on, does he take the black? Does he let Jon (even reluctantly) take the black when he comes of age, or does he fight him harder on the issue? Interesting stuff.

Benjen wanted to join the Night's Watch ever since the tourney at Harrenhall. He left immediately after the rebellion because he was waiting at Winterfell to make sure that a Stark could still inherit Winterfell if Eddard died during the rebellion. It is possible he told him upon returning, but I think Ned kept it only to himself.

there is no way the reeds are the only ones that know! ned promised jon he would tell him next time he saw him. so when he thought he was about to die he wrote it in the letter he gave to varys! varys is holding onto it because for some reason he is a targ supporter! all will be revealed when varys deems it is needed.

Howland Reed, Jojen Reed and Meera Reed know who Jon's Mother is.

How do you know Meera and Jojen know? Have i missed this in the books ... ?

there is no way the reeds are the only ones that know! ned promised jon he would tell him next time he saw him. so when he thought he was about to die he wrote it in the letter he gave to varys! varys is holding onto it because for some reason he is a targ supporter! all will be revealed when varys deems it is needed.

If Jon were truly a son of Rhaegar i doubt Ned would trust that information in the hands of Varys.

someone mentioned the WF crypts upthread and how Jon dreamed he needed to go down there for information.

WARNING what follows is rambling crackpot:

what if.... Jon dies at the wall and he wargs into Ghost for a while. The NW loyal to him put him in an ice cell for a while, but then receive word that Stannis has won the battle of WF AND Rickon has been found alive and brought back to be Lord of WF. The NW then send Jon back to WF to be entombed in the crypt (this would be unusual since he took the black and was a bastard, but Bran convinces Rickon to do it somehow?). Anyways they take him down into the crypts and find out who he really is. Then he is resurrected somehow (mel, Catelyn, COTF? ) and goes on to become AAR and defeats the Others wearing the suit of obsidian armor and lightbringer he finds in the crypts.

OR howland could just tell him.

Ned being such an honorable man, i doubt he had much respect for such people like the master of whisperers. But saying that they do build some sort of mutual respect or a relationship of some sort before Neds demise, but IMO i find it unlikely, but who knows, i just cant wait to find out :D

I think there was somehting like "Jon, visit my friend Howland Reed".

Varys might know the truth but I don't think he has any evidence.

few people might know the truth.

Howland Reed

Wylla

Bloodraven

others like Mel or Quathie could learn the truth via vissions.

Archived