From Pawn to Player: Rethinking Sansa XVIII

brashcandy

Great essays Mladen. :) (and kudos for the Snape reference!!)

I think Lummel once made the point that a lot of people find it off putting to read about suffering and lack of agency, hence why many have a hard time appreciating Sansa's arc. Sympathising with that sort of situation means you have to put part of yourself in that situation, and it is not a pleasant one to imagine oneself in. It's more palatable to imagine oneself being a badass warrior chick or some such.

This appreciation of "baddass chicks" (but not too badass) was touched upon by Sciborg as well in the Gender in genre thread (think second incarnation).

I agree with Lummel; I think it IS hard for people to read about suffering. Interestingly, I can read Sansa's arc, but I have absolutely no stomach for physical torture, which means I get to skim a lot of Theon/Reek chapters in ADWD as well as the Pale Mare. In real life, any Suffering Animal commercial or article shared on my Facebook feed I have to turn away from. (And why I got my cats from no-kill shelters.)

There's also a limit to what I will accept depending on genre. I love romance novels, and I've had to put aside a few that had the heroine suffer, suffer and suffer some more before the happy ending - get your angst out of my light reading! Stuff like romance novels and cozy mysteries I consider "comfort" reading so I don't want to read about a lot of Heroine Torture. ASOIAF isn't really in the light reading category for me (or I wouldn't be analyzing the books here!) so I have a stronger stomach here.

I think there is a great deal of truth in the observation that (some) people will read about Sansa and get uncomfortable, and they find it more comforting/less anxiety-producing to read about Arya kicking ass. Which does say a lot about the reader's ability to feel what a character is feeling!

It seems there have been a lot of threads discussing Sansa/Tyrion lately (or is it just me jumbling everything together?). :wacko:

Regarding Sansa and Tyrion's marriage, the thing I wonder about is this: Sansa doesn't stand to inherit anything, not since Robb disinherited her. (And I don't recall who knows about his Will).

What do you think will happen once Tyrion hears he had nothing to gain at all (at least "power" wise) from staying married to Sansa?

Their marriage was never about Robb`s will, it was about controling the North through Sansa(or at least that`s how Tywin had planned it). No one was asking Northern lords about it, just as they weren`t asking for making Bolton Warden of the North.

His ADWD line about his wife he hardly knew is strange, as he felt awful the whole time they were together. Perhaps he will still strive towards the thing he can't have.

Maybe. There are just sooo many variables.... :frown5:

As some crackpots, we have Tyrion's comment to Bronn about the horror of having a wife who is pregnant with another man's wife. If Sansa is abandoned by the North, has an affair with Sandor before his untimely death ( :( even writing that makes me sad), but has a child with him, then there is the chance that Tyrion may offer to resume their marriage and it's the only option she has. I think Ragnorak had a theory about Sansa having an illegitimate daughter with Sandor, but ending up with Tyrion. :(

Well, I could see that happening. Though Sandor could still be alive and have that happen. What if she had his child, while she was married to Tyrion? Obviously Tyrion would know it's not his....does he save face by bringing it up as his? Yes I know, horrible schlocky romance novel idea! LOL. :stillsick: :stillsick:

Alternatively we have Arya's comment in AGOT to Ned when he tells Arya she'll marry a King that that's Sansa not her. Perhaps she'll take Sansa's face (copy not actual) and Alyane and Sandor will go off to the Fingers

Well, that alone would make me happy--perhaps not the Fingers, but just someplace. Sansa could have her daughter that looks like Arya. What I don't want is that "love from afar" type thing going on. Have her married off to someone (not necessarily Tyrion mind you), and have Sandor be in her service somehow. I think their story deserves better than that.

Oh and then of course kill Tyrion as I wouldn't wish him on Arya or any woman.

Stabbity-stabbity? ;)

Edit: as ridiculous as these sound, I actually can't see a way for GRRM to drag Sansa and Tyrion together that will actually work given everything that has happened so far.

Oh I know! But we can't do anything but speculate! :P

Their marriage was never about Robb`s will, it was about controling the North through Sansa(or at least that`s how Tywin had planned it). No one was asking Northern lords about it, just as they weren`t asking for making Bolton Warden of the North.

Yes, I realize that--but at some point, I think Robb's Will, will come to light.

Well, that alone would make me happy--perhaps not the Fingers, but just someplace. Sansa could have her daughter that looks like Arya. What I don't want is that "love from afar" type thing going on

My fingers crossed longshot, is Lord and Lady Clegane on the Fingers with all of LF's money.

Well, that alone would make me happy--perhaps not the Fingers, but just someplace. Sansa could have her daughter that looks like Arya. What I don't want is that "love from afar" type thing going on. Have her married off to someone (not necessarily Tyrion mind you), and have Sandor be in her service somehow. I think their story deserves better than that.

Yes, I realize that--but at some point, I think Robb's Will, will come to light.

San/San story is a love story, but not neccesseraly the happy one. Platonic love is as just as strong as the physical. I mean, love can be used here as catalist for Sandor`s path, and for Sansa`s growing. I see their love evolving to another level, where it isn`t important if they are together as only both of them know the other one is safe. No need for tragic story, but no one gets free pass card in Westeros, so neither will they.

I agree with brash when she once told that Robb`s will will grant her freedom, but will she grant it to herself. Sense of duty is strongly developed in Sansa...

His ADWD line about his wife he hardly knew is strange, as he felt awful the whole time they were together. Perhaps he will still strive towards the thing he can't have.

As some crackpots, we have Tyrion's comment to Bronn about the horror of having a wife who is pregnant with another man's wife. If Sansa is abandoned by the North, has an affair with Sandor before his untimely death ( :( even writing that makes me sad), but has a child with him, then there is the chance that Tyrion may offer to resume their marriage and it's the only option she has. I think Ragnorak had a theory about Sansa having an illegitimate daughter with Sandor, but ending up with Tyrion. :(

Alternatively we have Arya's comment in AGOT to Ned when he tells Arya she'll marry a King that that's Sansa not her. Perhaps she'll take Sansa's face (copy not actual) and Alyane and Sandor will go off to the Fingers and "Sansa" will end up with Tyrion as a way to escape the FM in secret. Oh and then of course kill Tyrion as I wouldn't wish him on Arya or any woman.

Edit: as ridiculous as these sound, I actually can't see a way for GRRM to drag Sansa and Tyrion together that will actually work given everything that has happened so far.

Don't think that one is mine. With sarcasm and alcohol anything can come out of my mouth but I don't drink and post as a general rule.

I actually forsee a positive end state between Tyrion and Sansa. She doesn't hold grudges and not bedding Sansa is about the only internal Tysha redemption Tyrion can grasp currently. Tyrion might descend into darkness but jousting with Penny doesn't point that way. I assume Sansa will have removed herself from hostage status by the time she and Tyrion have an opportunity to have any form of "reunion" which makes all the difference. Not romance-- just with Tyrion representing Casterly Rock and Sansa speaking for Winterfell I think we could have an end to the Stark vs Lannister war that doesn't involve extinguishing one of the Houses. Jon and Sansa can both make peace with Tyrion. Peace is out of the question with Cersei and might be out of the question Jaime too. I can maybe see Bran forgiving Jaime but I can't see his brothers and sisters letting that go easily.

I expect the marriage to be set aside. Tyrion and Tywin have a couple ironic foreshadowing comments in their exchanges like mentioning that Gregor isn't going to confess to Oberyn. Tyrion has a comment about the Lannisters owning the High Septon so the marriage being set aside is inconceivable and we've already seen the new High Septon. Lyanna's Tysha/LF theory is my favorite on that front.

I honestly have no idea what Sandor's fate will be. If you want crackpot ideas for Sansa and Sandor ending up together I'd point to the Dreadfort needing a new lord. If Jon ends up King or Lord of Winterfell and Sansa wants to marry Sandor, getting him a title and a patch of land to eliminate the station difference isn't going to be hard.

`Do I frighten you so much? `. This very first line between Sansa and Sandor is the great beginning of a promising story. Sandor, accustomed to provoke disgust and fear, expects nothing else of this highborn lady. Sansa, on the other hand, being raised to believe in stories and fairytales of true knights, can`t find the word to express herself. But they were both wrong about each other. Neither Sansa expressed disgust, nor did he fear her as much as you would expect.

<snip>

Certainly, the first impression wasn`t the best. He hated her for her naiveté and foolishness, she didn`t like him because of his roughness. But with each time they meet again, it seems those first feelings are fading.

The unknown story of how his face was burnt is revealed by himself in utter secrecy, under the payment of death, to Sansa. As a reader, I made a pause to just wonder why he did that. Story no one knows, so why would he choose Sansa to tell her. And then I realized, when there is no logic, there is something else.

Sandor may have told story in order to break illusion of `true knights` Sansa had, but it also gave him some much needed humanity. His scars, his roughness, and ill wit are gone, and Sansa saw him. Unintentionally, he revealed the most deep part of his life, part reserved for those we genuinely love. Exposing himself in this way is a truly, in some weird way, the most romantic thing in ASOIAF.

Mladen, your essay was great, with an excellent and perceptive analysis of Sansa's relationship with Sandor. And with those points in mind, I find it very interesting - and perhaps quite significant? - that GRRM has chosen to give us a close parallel with Jaime and Brienne. Just as Sandor tells Sansa the true story of his face, Jaime tells Brienne about killing Aerys in that wonderful bath-house scene. Many people dismiss the idea that GRRM writes 'romances', and yet with San/San and J/B he seems to be writing two relationships that have a surprising number of elements in common. J/B is probably more developed at this stage given that we have had extensive POVs from both of them, and it is probably a more obvious 'romance' (certainly it is full of sexual tension!), but there are many similarities with San/San. So I'll just offer a few thoughts (and no, I have not been through hundreds of pages on all previous threads on P2P :) just the last couple of months!)

Beauty and the Beast

With San/San she is the beauty and he the beast, whereas with J/B it is the opposite. The fact is though, that GRRM is giving us two relationships where one party is very definitely despised/mocked/feared because of their appearance, and where the ability to look behind that outward appearance is an important element of the slowly developing relationships.

Sansa and Brienne themselves.

When I first read the books, I was more focused on 'what' happened, and just went with the story. However, when I went back and started re-reading certain parts, Sansa was one character who increasingly fascinated me, because of the often subtle ways in which she grows up and changes. She starts off an innocent, idealistic, naive, sometimes selfish and shallow young girl, a pawn in the bigger game, and yet step by tiny step she starts to get some control over herself and perhaps her destiny. It was during this re-read that I was struck by the many surprising similarities and sometimes direct contrasts between Sansa and Brienne.

* Although Brienne is several years older than Sansa, they both shared typical girlish dreams and ideals about knighthood, even about romance and marrying 'true knights'. Both start out as somewhat naive, especially Sansa, and both at times are told that they need to grow up, get with it, and understand what is going on.

* Both have had their girlish ideals shattered, though in quite different ways, and yet at heart, I think they still hold onto their dreams in their own ways. What we are seeing as their personal stories develop is that their RL 'knight' is not in any way the sort of person they expected him to be. Sansa dreamed of marrying a handsome prince, was betrothed to Joffrey, yet finds that under that golden veneer Joffrey is cruel and vindictive, and she is often rescued by the hideous Sandor. Brienne, the Maid of Tarth with high ideals about knighthood, finds herself thrown together with the most notoriously dishonourable knight in Westeros, only to discover that there is a man of many surprises under that outwards reputation.

* Both have suffered because of attempts to arrange marriages, and of course, in Sansa's case, she actually was/is married to Tyrion.

* Despite Sansa's marriage and Brienne's travels with an army plus her capture by the BMs, both women are still maidens. That 'status' (for want of a better term) is a matter of scorn / derision: Sansa because obviously a normal woman is expected to do her marital duty and have sex with her husband, whether or not she hates him, while the mockery of Brienne as the Maid of Tarth and the cruel wager is because she is so unattractive that surely no man would want to have sex with her. Sansa was quite determined she wasn't going to have sex with Tyrion just because he was her husband, and she refused to do so out of any sort of pity for him. Brienne was able to be a little more direct: she showed Ser Humphrey Wagstaff just what she thought of his idea that she should be a 'normal' woman once married to her, and then at the melee, took great pleasure in riding over all the knights who'd mocked her - including Red Ronnet who'd broken off their earlier betrothal because of her appearance. Brienne's link with Sansa is therefore subtle and amusing, because at the tournament in KL in Book 1, Sansa cheered for Loras, who defeated Gregor Clegane by riding a mare in heat to distract Clegane's ill-tempered stallion. In her turn, Brienne defeats Loras at the melee using unorthodox but effective tactics.

* Both women are alone, far from the places they call home and from any family support: Sansa believes all her family are dead, except perhaps for Jon (who is far away at the Wall) and Brienne is away from her father in Tarth, and even from any of the Tarth forces (wherever they may have gone after Renly's death).

* Both women are believed to be kingslayers, Sansa with Joffrey and Brienne with Renly.

* Because they are opposites in terms of physical appearance, the 'weapons' available to them to combat the adversities they face are different. Brienne has been able to rely on her skill at arms, whereas Sansa has had to learn political acumen and survival on her wits.

* They each present an outwards face to the world which is very much at odds with the person and the thought processes going on inside.

* Each is empathetic and sympathetic to others at all levels in society; each takes on responsibility for protecting a much younger person, Sansa with SweetRobin and Brienne with Pod.

* Brienne has been sent on a quest to find Sansa, in honour of an oath sworn to Sansa's mother.

Which brings us to Sandor and Jaime.

* As Mladen said about San/San: "He hated her for her naiveté and foolishness, she didn`t like him because of his roughness. But with each time they meet again, it seems those first feelings are fading." A very similar thought process goes on with Jaime and Brienne, only Brienne dislikes Jaime because he is anything but a 'true' knight.

* Both men have 'reputations' in the eyes of the world - the Hound and the Kingslayer.

* Mladen has pointed out the many ways in which Sandor protects Sansa. Most of his support is emotional, through quiet advice and sympathy, yet there is also his dramatic physical rescue after the KL riot. As we see after their capture by the BMs, Jaime manages to protect Brienne from being raped, by fast thinking and using his wit/sarcasm in a way that often incurs additional pain for him. Not to mention 'that' rescue! And he later uses his LC status to protect her from Loras. It seems to surprise both men that they do end up protecting the women in these ways: each would also strongly deny having any feelings for for their little bird / wench if you asked them!

* Each man reveals his humanity and inner self in a way that they have not done to any other person. They metaphorically rip off their scars and allow their wounds to show, so that the 'real' man behind the facade can be seen, and the person to whom they make these revelations is a most unlikely / unexpected one. The ugly, not-a-knight Sandor who doesn't have any family in whom he can confide (he'd rather kill Gregor!) is somehow driven to let down his guard to Sansa, who was once supposed to become his queen. Jaime, who's shared everything else with twin Cersei, never shared the Aerys truth with her, and instead shares it with ugly, not-a-knight Brienne.

* Both Sandor and Jaime have each become, or at least are trying to become, 'new' men. As Elder brother says, Sandor is 'dead' but I have never believed he meant that literally. Though we have not yet glimpsed Sandor's internal struggles in that respect in the same way we see Jaime's, we draw inferences from what Elder Brother says and from EB's own story of being a soldier.

'Impossible' relationships

* Sansa is a noble lady, married to Tyrion Lannister and currently in hiding under a false name. Even at the best of times, even if she'd not been betrothed to Prince Joffrey, a betrothal and marriage to someone like Sandor Clegane would be just impossible. Could it be any more 'possible' in the future? For that to happen, it would need Sansa to be freed from her marriage to Tyrion, to escape from LF and his schemes, probably to return to the north and Winterfell, apart from somehow having Sandor reappear in her life. (I am of course assuming that he is the figure seen on the Quiet Isle).

* The J/B relationship doesn't have the same inequality of rank, as both are nobly born and normally there would be nothing to prevent their marriage. But Jaime is the LC of the Kingsguard, and in a stroke of irony it is Brienne's influence and ideals that have re-awoken his determination to honour his KG vows and be a worthy LC. Assuming both Jaime and Brienne survive Lady Stoneheart, there is nothing to prevent them having a romantic / sexual relationship, but marriage is impossible.

When it comes to rethinking Sansa in the p2p context, I am not sure how valuable it is to examine these parallels, nor what they might indicate where GRRM is likely to go in the future. But the Sansa - Brienne similarities alone are interesting, let alone how GRRM has written the two relationships, and GRRM doesn't 'just' write these things in this way. So why is he writing so many similarities between them? Sansa and Brienne are two young women who are growing up across the books, who are on journeys that are both physical and emotional, and often painful. They have never met, and yet it seems that their paths could or should certainly cross in the next book. GRRM certainly wouldn't waste a chapter on Brienne's visit to the Quiet Isle, or give us a glimpse of Sandor without good reason. The Quiet Isle is conveniently and perhaps symbollically located between Kings Landing, the Riverlands and the Vale ...

Oh well, my waffly stuff is now over! :)

Oh well, my waffly stuff is now over! :)

Not at all waffly, I loved reading your post! :)

I've made some similar comparisons in the past and I totally agree with you on that the stories have so much in common it's impossible to ignore. They almost have a sort of odd "commentary" going on on a meta level.

I've made some similar comparisons in the past and I totally agree with you on that the stories have so much in common it's impossible to ignore. They almost have a sort of odd "commentary" going on on a meta level.

Both stories have also spanned four books. Their stories were so intense, then he separated them. Jaime and Brienne met up again in the last book. It was inevitable.

On my phone, but just wanted to give a quick shoutout to Currawong for that wonderful post. Definitely resource worthy. Currawong, I hope you'll stick around for more discussion in the future.

@ Elba: Martin couldn't be more obvious if he tried :) The fact that Brienne gets Jaime to go with her on the basis that the Hound has Sansa, just screams future reconnection in my mind.

The most glaring difference between them of course is that Jaime and Brienne do think about each other when apart, especially Brienne, and indeed their relationship almost seems to develop in their own minds when they are separated. There isn't that element with San/San though, and it could be argued that this means they are not in any sort of 'relationship' at all. That what we have seen is merely Sandor being kind to a defenceless young woman out of some form of pity, coupled with a personal hatred of Joffrey, while Sansa was merely reacting to someone who was nice to her amongst all the scheming at KL court. Yet the parallels are too obvious to be there merely as a matter of chance, and their plotlines are definitely linked.

ETA: I also can't forget that Brienne has been injured, that the Quiet Isle with Elder Brother is a place of refuge and healing - and that Jaime would most certainly recognise Sandor. And if Sansa was going to hide out anywhere, the QI with a couple of ferocious protectors like Sandor and Brienne would not be a bad place to do so.

The most glaring difference between them of course is that Jaime and Brienne do think about each other when apart, especially Brienne, and indeed their relationship almost seems to grow in their own minds when they are separated. There isn't that element with San/San though, and it could be argued that this means they are not in any sort of 'relationship' at all. That what we have seen is merely Sandor being kind to a defenceless young woman out of some form of pity, coupled with a personal hatred of Joffrey, while Sansa was merely reacting to someone who was nice to her amongst all the scheming at KL court. Yet the parallels seem too obvious to be there merely as a matter of chance.

Funny that out of the four people mentioned (Brienne, Jaime, Sansa & Sandor) all of them have POV's except Sandor--which is interesting. (It would have been nice to see one, but I'm sure a lot of drunk cursing and surly comments would abound in his noggin. LOL). Yet like you said there are parallels......

Oh that thinking whilst apart is definitely a hallmark feature of the Sansan relationship. But I'm sure someone can expand on that better than I can at the moment.

Agreed! :)

Edit: add response to Brash....

There isn't that element with San/San though, and it could be argued that this means they are not in any sort of 'relationship' at all. That what we have seen is merely Sandor being kind to a defenceless young woman out of some form of pity, coupled with a personal hatred of Joffrey, while Sansa was merely reacting to someone who was nice to her amongst all the scheming at KL court.

Currawong, we've talked about Jaime/Brienne before, but there's even more going on in the Sansa/Sandor story. Almost kissing and cupping his cheek, wishing he was there and hearing his voice and wondering where he is and fantasizing about kissing him, bringing up yoursistertheprettylittlebird every two seconds, sorry she didn't go with him/sorry he left her, losing it when he hears she got married, dreaming about him in the marriage bed, and of course, his cloak ... How'd you miss all of this? :)

And I just added this on another thread, GRRM even brings it up himself:

Interviewer 1: "I'm a big fan of the Hound, myself, actually…"

GRRM: "I do know there's all these people out there, who are as they call themselves the SanSan fans, who want to see Sandor and Sansa get together in the end."

Interviewer 2: "The TV show has played with that a little, probably stoked those fires, I would think."

GRRM: "Well sure, and I've played with it in the books, there's something there, but it's still interesting to see how many people have responded to it."

Interviewer 1: "I'm not going to say that hasn't crossed my mind."

On my phone, but just wanted to give a quick shoutout to Currawong for that wonderful post. Definitely resource worthy. Currawong, I hope you'll stick around for more discussion in the future.

@ Elba: Martin couldn't be more obvious if he tried :) The fact that Brienne gets Jaime to go with her on the basis that the Hound has Sansa, just screams future reconnection in my mind.

OMG yes! I completely forgot about that. He's setting it up for sure.

@Currawong great post! But actually Sandor and Sansa do think about each other when they are apart. Sansa mentions or thinks of Sandor in every single one of her chapters except for maybe the one in AGOT when she meets with Cersei and the small council after Ned is seized, I think. He comes up in her thoughts even in the Alayne chapters. Look at her description of Bronze Yohn for example. He sounds like he could be an older, high born version of Sandor. And when she is coming down the mountain with Myranda in the last Alayne chapter, Myranda asks her if she knows what goes on in a marriage bed and she thinks of Sandor and nods. And when Sandor is with Arya even though they don't do a lot of talking I am pretty sure he mentions Sansa in every Arya POV that they are together.

The most glaring difference between them of course is that Jaime and Brienne do think about each other when apart, especially Brienne,

In fact, they do think about each other when they are separated, and Sandor appears in Sansa's first POV after they've separated up to her last POV in AFFC. Here's a list of the times she thinks of him whilst apart, with quotes:

In ASOS:

The same smallfolk who pulled me from my horse and would have killed me, if not for the Hound.

I wish the Hound were here. The night of the battle, Sandor Clegane had come to her chambers to take her from the city, but Sansa had refused. Sometimes she lay awake at night, wondering if she’d been wise. She had his stained white cloak hidden in a cedar chest beneath her summer silks. She could not say why she’d kept it. The Hound had turned craven, she heard it said; at the height of the battle, he got so drunk the Imp had to take his men. But Sansa understood. She knew the secret of his burned face. It was only the fire he feared. That night, the wildfire had set the river itself ablaze, and filled the very air with green flame. Even in the castle, Sansa had been afraid. Outside… she could scarcely imagine it.

When the appointed night arrived, another of the Kingsguard came for her, a man as different from Sandor Clegane as… well, as a flower from a dog.

Sansa wondered what Megga would think about kissing the Hound, as she had. He’d come to her the night of the battle stinking of wine and blood. He kissed me and threatened to kill me, and made me sing him a song.

He leaned forward, and their lips touched briefly. He is so ugly, Sansa thought when his face was close to hers. He is even uglier than the Hound.

In the dark, I am the Knight of Flowers, he had said. I could be good to you. But that was only another Lannister lie. A dog can smell a lie, you know, the Hound had told her once. She could almost hear the rough rasp of his voice. Look around you, and take a good whiff. They’re all liars here, and every one better than you. She wondered what had become of Sandor Clegane. Did he know that they’d killed Joffrey? Would he care? He had been the prince’s sworn shield for years.

This one is an indirect association of the dog to the Hound rather than directly thinking of him:

Sansa found Bryen’s old blind dog in her little alcove beneath the steps, and lay down next to him. He woke and licked her face. “You sad old hound,” she said, ruffling his fur.

Sansa heard the soft sound of steel on leather. “Singer,” a rough voice said, “best go, if you want to sing again.” The light was dim, but she saw a faint glimmer of a blade.

The singer saw it too. “Find your own wench -” The knife flashed, and he cried out. “You cut me!”

“I’ll do worse, if you don’t go.”

And quick as that, Marillion was gone. The other remained, looming over Sansa in the darkness. “Lord Petyr said watch out for you.” It was Lothor Brune’s voice, she realized. Not the Hound’s, no, how could it be? Of course it had to be Lothor…

And here's her first unambiguously sexual thought of him linking him to a marriage bed.

And she dreamed of her wedding night too, of Tyrion’s eyes devouring her as she undressed. Only then he was bigger than Tyrion had any right to be, and when he climbed into the bed his face was scarred only on one side. “I’ll have a song from you,” he rasped, and Sansa woke and found the old blind dog beside her once again. “I wish that you were Lady,” she said.

And the times she thought about him in AFFC:

And Littlefinger was no friend of hers. When Joff had her beaten, the Imp defended her, not Littlefinger. When the mob sought to rape her, the Hound carried her to safety, not Littlefinger. When the Lannisters wed her to Tyrion against her will, Ser Garlan the Gallant gave her comfort, not Littlefinger. Littlefinger never lifted so much as his little finger for her.

The Lord of Runestone stood as tall as the Hound. Though his hair was grey and his face lined, Lord Yohn still looked as though he could break most younger men like twigs in those huge gnarled hands.

As the boy’s lips touched her own she found herself thinking of another kiss. She could still remember how it felt, when his cruel mouth pressed down on her own. He had come to Sansa in the darkness as green fire filled the sky. He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak.

The second time she thinks of him in relation to a marriage bed:

“You do know what goes on in a marriage bed, I hope?”

She thought of Tyrion, and of the Hound and how he’d kissed her, and gave a nod.

As you can see, Sansa does think of Sandor a lot after he's left, and the same is true for him, because in the Arya chapters in ASOS, the Hound talks or mentions the little bird about 12 times in total, which I will post with quotes later.

Archived