From Pawn to Player: Rethinking Sansa XVIII

brashcandy

Lyanna, well done in connecting those dots, it was really astonishing to read about it.

First, show isn`t cannon, as you have said, but I believe there are things we can count on. D&D know ASOIAF very well, they had insight in several documents none of us did, and they know they can count on us watching carefully. So, I am incling towards idea that dragonflies jewlery is some sort of `hidden message`. Subtle, no one would even think about it further, but who sees it, knows it. Basically, this was intended for hardcore fans, and I think you caught it. So, I can only :bowdown: and congratulate you on that.

As for dragonflies symbolism, I think more of D&E stories and story of Jenny of Oldstones. Dragons or dragonflies? That`s nice way to say what is expected of Sansa to choose. For one day she`ll have to. And I believe a lot of things will depend on that choice: dragons or dragonflies. I have to say I had some very different idea about Sansa`s future for the first time I came here and now. Those two ideas, Sansa the Queen and Sansa the woman in love still collide from time to time...But, following the logic I presented in section above, I can see her choosing dragonflies. Now, we must wait and see who that particular dragonfly is...

Certainly applies to a lot of what we've seen recently concerning Sansa and her inner thoughts and dreams. Not only does it have relevance for her relationship with Sandor, but hopefully we'll see her recollecting and really focusing on Lysa's ravings and what they revealed.

Definitely. I'm hoping that Sansa will come to fully realize what message her dreams are trying to tell her. And I wonder just exactly what her reaction will be when she finds out everything concerning Petyr, Lysa, etc....

Oh and thanks for including the link about the clothing--will take a look at it. :)

I thought the symbolic meaning if the dragonfly was "attack helicopter". :blushing:

That too! :laugh: ;)

I've wondered some why in the show Sansa is wearing Dragonfly motifs so often, when she has no connection to dragonflies or dragons. It's so obvious that the Sansa Dragonfly jewellery is sold across the net as a "thing".

The obvious thing is the Prince of Dragonstones and Jenny of Oldstones, but that seems to be a bit arbitrary, unless Sansa for some reason goes off to marry a commoner, which she has not yet seem inclined to do, nor has she met any commoners that could fit that role. However, I ran across something in the first Dunk and Egg novel that may shed further light on it. Or not, depending on us putting any stock at all in what takes place in the show.

Spoilers for the first Dunk and Egg novella below:

The obvious dragonfly link is the Prince of Dragonflies, but then when rereading Dunk and Egg the other day, I came across this section at the very end when Maekar Targaryen offers Dunk to take on Egg as a squire and Dunk ponders the offer Maekar makes of going to Summerhall and becoming a household knight, or continuing the rougher life as a hedge knight.

As we all know, Dunk chose the dragonflies and told Maekar that Daeron never slept in a ditch and that Aerion always ate properly, while leaving out that this didn't make them better men.

Perhaps also importantly, Dunk does not want to give up his freedom and enter servitude when he has seen that Targaryen justice, even Maekar's, is nowhere near perfect and favours the already powerful, he'd prefer to be able to make his own choices based on his own judgement. Dunk will still not be powerful or important, but at least he will have some level of autonomy.

We've also seen how GRRM illustrates power, what wielding power means and how it affects the people wielding it. Here the choice is "dragonflies or dragons", which gets to represent that.

If Sansa is then adorned with dragonflies for a similar reason, that would indicate that she when faced with her own "dragonflies or dragons" choice will choose dragonflies. Sansa of AGOT would have chosen dragon over dragonfly for sure, since she did not yet comprehend what power and the people in power were about, but Sansa of AFFC and moving forward, and when eventually faced with that choice? The dragonfly vs dragon choice is not only a choice of power vs having no power, but also a choice of a "smaller" existance, perhaps, but also one where you at least make most decisions over your own life, such as where to go, what to have for dinner and what people to have around you. As a High lord/lady, prince/princess, king/queen, these choices are often not yours to make freely.

Then we also have the Prince of Dragonflies and Jenny of Oldstones, where we have love over duty as theme, but it's also about the prince of dragonflies forsaking something, i.e. his position in society and his power, for something he deemed worth more, when faced with that choice. There is nothing said anywhere of prince Duncan living a life of a commoner, or in poverty, but it was certainly not a life in the limelight, that much is certain. Probably no fancy tournaments, no pleasure barges on the Mander and no fancy court life. Hence it was a choice that would severly affect his life, but that he still made, probably full knowing what it would entail in sacrifices.

Going by this, and going by we know of Sansa, how she started out as nearly a princess, through hostage, to unwilling wife, to bastard daughter; her quest for autonomy and agency and to return home, does it make sense to have a dragonfly vs dragon choice, involving her sacrificing something dear to her in order to achieve something even more important?

Of course, as the show isn't canon, it may mean something or it may mean nothing, but it's still a strange choice to make if there was no underlying meaning to it.

I thought the symbolic meaning if the dragonfly was "attack helicopter". :blushing:

I got a vision of dragonflies swarming Petyr Baelish a-la "The Birds!" :lol:

To reply to Lyanna's post, and I'll keep everything under a spoiler tag because she did:

That is correct that Prince Duncan did not give up his royal title of Prince nor his money or societal standing to marry Jenny of Oldstones. Besides things like tournaments and whatnot - I am sure he led a more quiet life - he seems to have given up - dun dun! - HIS CLAIM to the throne. What is Sansa starting to see as a giant albatross? HER CLAIM to Winterfell. I surmise that the "Dragons or Dragonflies?" isn't going to be about actual dragons in this case - because I suspect Aegon is a fake, and his storyline is not intersecting with Sansa's at anytime in the near future - but is more symbolic about her claim. I am sure Sansa wants to help rebuild Winterfell, and would love to live there, but I do not think she wants to be an heiress anymore as that has brought her nothing but grief.

Something in the Ser Dunk the elder and Prince Duncan connection gave me pause as well. Aegon/former Egg names a prince after Ser Dunk, born Duncan the Tall of Flea Bottom. For a Targaryen to name his kid after a man of low birth - albeit one who rose to be a commander of the Kingsguard and one who is his dear friend and a good man - Ser Duncan had to be much loved by King Aegon and his family. So there is that issue of love again, and Sansa wanting to rule through love and have people love her. Dunk choosing dragonflies ultimately won him a namesake due to his being beloved by a King and I can't think of a higher or more personal tribute from royalty.

Sansa choosing dragonflies I think will get her the love she wants. I don't mean just love in the romantic sense, I mean love as in people will love her, they will call out her name as they did with Margaery, she will have true friends, etc.

As to who might be Sansa's "Jenny of Oldstones?" Well, there is one person who is being set up as such throughout the whole series and it is none other than Daario Naharis. Sansa's going to flip for that dyed beard and gold tooth doncha know.

Ahem. Couldn't resist, sorry. :D If Sansa is going to marry beneath her station, it's been pretty much set up to be Sandor Clegane from the get go. There is just too much going on between them to drop the plot, from "Get her a dog, she'll be happier for it" and Sandor having what seem to be Northern/First Men features on forward. (We've been through this before but Sansa's always thinking about Sandor and Sandor is always relating to Arya in terms of her being Sansa's sister, and he talks about Sansa to her All. The. Time. So yeah. ) There is no telling if Sansa is going to marry beneath her station or marry at all but it would be clumsy/poor writing to tack on another "beneath her rank" suitor at this point in the story. It's already really all I can do to give a toot about Harry the Heir, who IS of "suitable" rank.

Sansa's clothes: I always did think she had a limited and rather unattractive wardrobe on the show especially compared to the rich wardrobe she had in the books - she has silk and velvet out the wazoo, and even tomboy Arya has velvet dresses and a silver bracelet. (We see her having to repack a whole chest full of nice dresses in GOT, which is how Ned finds out about Needle.) Even a really nice lambswool dress with embroidery is "scarcely better than what a serving girl would wear."

Sansa has less jewelry, but that seems to depend on the woman - Catelyn didn't give me the impression of a woman who was into clothes and jewelry, but Lysa absolutely did; she was always in velvet and satin and loads of jewelry. Cersei, too. Same with Arianne Martell and Nymeria Sand. Sansa might not have had as much jewelry because she was a young unmarried girl for much of the series and it was probably the custom for girls to dress more simply than grown married women (as it was in many places, many times).

GRRM himself has stated that one reason he got into writing fantasy novels after so many years of script writing was so he didn't have to follow a budget. Novelists can write the most extravagant of battle scenes, castles, costumes and whatnot and it's all on paper so the writer can be as extravagant as they like.

Sansa's clothes: I always did think she had a limited and rather unattractive wardrobe on the show especially compared to the rich wardrobe she had in the books - she has silk and velvet out the wazoo, and even tomboy Arya has velvet dresses and a silver bracelet. (We see her having to repack a whole chest full of nice dresses in GOT, which is how Ned finds out about Needle.) Even a really nice lambswool dress with embroidery is "scarcely better than what a serving girl would wear."

Sansa has less jewelry, but that seems to depend on the woman - Catelyn didn't give me the impression of a woman who was into clothes and jewelry, but Lysa absolutely did; she was always in velvet and satin and loads of jewelry. Cersei, too. Same with Arianne Martell and Nymeria Sand. Sansa might not have had as much jewelry because she was a young unmarried girl for much of the series and it was probably the custom for girls to dress more simply than grown married women (as it was in many places, many times).

GRRM himself has stated that one reason he got into writing fantasy novels after so many years of script writing was so he didn't have to follow a budget. Novelists can write the most extravagant of battle scenes, castles, costumes and whatnot and it's all on paper so the writer can be as extravagant as they like.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought that Sansa's wardrobe on the show was unflattering. I had a different impression with the books too--in my mind she dresses much nicer! :D

Anyway, I might be digressing a bit--as to the show---as you stated I'm sure a large part of it is due to budgets etc---but I think the writers might also be trying to "visually" show us that life in the North is hard, very hard, compared to the South. (The North is cold, they probably dress more for function than fashion, characters dress in very drab colors-- they might not have the plants they need to dye cloth in more lively colors--stuff like that.) Generally speaking, in the South you see people dressing in much better clothes (and I'm not talking about peasants or anyone similar here)--nicer fabrics--the South has more opportunities for trading,etc.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought that Sansa's wardrobe on the show was unflattering. I had a different impression with the books too--in my mind she dresses much nicer! :D

QOW, you are not the only one...I see Sansa`s wardrobe in the show pretty simple, no rich colors, embroidery, noticable jewels. Perhaps it wa the matter of budget, but it could also symbolize transformation of her priorities. At the beginning she wanted to be beautiful for the Prince, and now her clothes reflects her sadness and lostness. Sansa changed from girl whose only dream was to be beautiful for Joffrey to girl who hides bruises of his `affection`. Maybe that`s the effect they wanted to have.

That is correct that Prince Duncan did not give up his royal title of Prince nor his money or societal standing to marry Jenny of Oldstones. Besides things like tournaments and whatnot - I am sure he led a more quiet life - he seems to have given up - dun dun! - HIS CLAIM to the throne. What is Sansa starting to see as a giant albatross? HER CLAIM to Winterfell. I surmise that the "Dragons or Dragonflies?" isn't going to be about actual dragons in this case - because I suspect Aegon is a fake, and his storyline is not intersecting with Sansa's at anytime in the near future - but is more symbolic about her claim. I am sure Sansa wants to help rebuild Winterfell, and would love to live there, but I do not think she wants to be an heiress anymore as that has brought her nothing but grief.

That first part is sort of what I was trying to say about Sansa's claim in the last thread; It should be her choice to give it up instead of Robb's. The dragon/dragonfly analogy would apply to this interpretation only if it truly is *her* choice. I still don't agree that it's an albatross for her, but I won't start that up again. Of course, interpreting the dragonflies in this way could mean bad things for Rickon :crying: (If he's around then she has no claim to give up.)

The dragon/dragonfly theme also makes me think it's likely that a Targaryen will be involved somehow (as the dragon choice). The examples we've seen all have someone choosing between being a dragon (meaning Targaryen specifically) and not. Another interpretation could be that Sansa will turn down a marriage proposal from a dragon (thus choosing not to become a dragon herself). This proposal may come with a possible title (she could turn down Aegon and the queenship for example.)

If Sansa represents the *choice* instead, then there are even more possible interpretations. In this scenario, someone (presumably a Targaryen ) would choose Sansa over their dragon heritage or maybe just power. This may have already come to pass in a small way when we see Jon reject Stannis's offer in favor of Sansa. This seems a bit too small though. Some of the other analysis in this thread has seen foreshadowing for an alliance between Jon and Sansa. It may be that he makes the same decision again after he is aware of his heritage.

Unless she chooses Tyrion over Aegon, which given the whole Duncan the Small thing and the way the TV show is going, could be a possibility (however loathsome it maybe.) Also it would tie in with Tyrion thinking no girl would refuse Aegon. Although Sansa will have had to have had a lobotomy for this to pan out.

Unless she chooses Tyrion over Aegon, which given the whole Duncan the Small thing and the way the TV show is going, could be a possibility (however loathsome it maybe.) Also it would tie in with Tyrion thinking no girl would refuse Aegon. Although Sansa will have had to have had a lobotomy for this to pan out.

Haha!

And here I thought that Harry winding up with Ginny instead of Luna (in Harry Potter) was bad enough...if Sansa winds up with Tyrion I'll be saying "Come back, Harry/Ginny, all is forgiven!"

Now if Sansa were to choose Sandor over Aegon, there would STILL be weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth (albeit not from my end). Bottom line is someone is going to be unhappy.

However, it seems to me that Sansa isn't feeling it for Tyrion on so many levels, starting with the fact that he's a Lannister. OTOH we've discussed her and Sandor and their symbolism over and over and I think it would make the most sense, if Sansa were to be in the position to give up a Targaryen prince for someone else, for that "someone" to be Sandor. At least that is the way I see it.

Sansa's costumes on the show: I can see why they might want to illustrate the North being a harder place, etc. but in the books, even Sansa's Northern clothes were silks and velvets - Arya's, too, even though she was a tomboy (she was supposed to wear velvet for that "tea with Cersei" day). I do think they wanted to make that point in the show that the north was a harder place and it was easy shortand to show that via clothes, whereas in the books it could be told in a more leisurely fashion without regard to budget. Theon's clothes were pretty shabby, too, considering one of his defining characteristics (and something that PO'd his dad no end) was his love of fine clothes. And Cersei's headdresses are funny-looking. In fact, I think a lot of the "high class" costuming on the show is not good at all. The more rough stuff like Balon and, argh, "Yara" they do very well, same with Dany. I blame the budget; it's hard to put on a Lannister-style show without the Lannister gold mines. ;)

BTW, I have a dragonfly pendant and matching earrings (were my mom's)! I should wear them today.

Rapsie, I thought my idea of Aegon/Sansa was a bit repulsive, but this...God, NO. There is no way those two can actually end together :).

Rapsie, I thought my idea of Aegon/Sansa was a bit repulsive, but this...God, NO. There is no way those two can actually end together :).

I really really hope you are right. Also HtH may fall through and LF will secretly set up an Aegon / Sansa match, (he thrives on chaos after all), but after her experience with Joff, she will choose Sandor instead.

I really really hope you are right. Also HtH may fall through and LF will secretly set up an Aegon / Sansa match, (he thrives on chaos after all), but after her experience with Joff, she will choose Sandor instead.

Well, at the beginning I had theory of Sansa/Aegon marriage with Sandor becoming her Kingsguard, but theory itself proved to be a little bit strectchy. Now, I am searching for new theory, but I have to say, the more I think, the more certain I get in San/San.

QOW, you are not the only one...I see Sansa`s wardrobe in the show pretty simple, no rich colors, embroidery, noticable jewels. Perhaps it wa the matter of budget, but it could also symbolize transformation of her priorities. At the beginning she wanted to be beautiful for the Prince, and now her clothes reflects her sadness and lostness. Sansa changed from girl whose only dream was to be beautiful for Joffrey to girl who hides bruises of his `affection`. Maybe that`s the effect they wanted to have.

It could be--we might see more of a change in S3's episodes and beyond..... :)

Sansa's costumes on the show: I can see why they might want to illustrate the North being a harder place, etc. but in the books, even Sansa's Northern clothes were silks and velvets - Arya's, too, even though she was a tomboy (she was supposed to wear velvet for that "tea with Cersei" day). I do think they wanted to make that point in the show that the north was a harder place and it was easy shortand to show that via clothes, whereas in the books it could be told in a more leisurely fashion without regard to budget. Theon's clothes were pretty shabby, too, considering one of his defining characteristics (and something that PO'd his dad no end) was his love of fine clothes. And Cersei's headdresses are funny-looking. In fact, I think a lot of the "high class" costuming on the show is not good at all. The more rough stuff like Balon and, argh, "Yara" they do very well, same with Dany.

Yes, this is definitely what I was talking about. :) And I agree with you about some of the "Southern" hairstyles---I don't go for the "rolled" hair (it looked like they used a giant hair rat in order to create it)--though they were probably just hairpieces. :stillsick: :stillsick:

Digressing again--as for the "high class" costuming---I certainly didn't care for Margery's sideless surcote style dress--it was horrible! :stillsick:

I blame the budget; it's hard to put on a Lannister-style show without the Lannister gold mines. ;)

Agreed! :)

I don't know if Sansa's "dragon vs dragonfly" choice will be marriage or what it will be, it would make sense however if it somehow had to do with her claim and her status somehow, since she valued those to start with, and she is about to come full circle, and see her claim and status as real "trappings" in that if she wants to keep those, she also needs to play the Game of Thrones, for good or ill. The problem is exiting that game once you started it. Cat and Ned never really wanted to be involved in that sort of thing, and they almost isolated themselves up north, but for the Stark children, reality is different. The political situation is different, and as Tyrion noted about the previous Hands of the King: it's a dangerous job.

In Dunk's case, he dreamed about being a proper knight with everything that entailed, and here he gets it offered on a platter, but at what cost? He needs to swear himself to Maekar. So instead, he chooses to continue to be a hedge knight, but with some autonomy.

If we are looking at Sansa and Tyrion, the marriage between them is one where none of the parts really wished for the other. On Sansa's part it's crystal clear that it made her a Lannister, and it was 100% with her lacking any say or agency.

While Sansa represented, on the surface at least, everything Tyrion wanted, or *thought* he wanted, I think that can be disputed. She may represent what he thought he needed as Tywin 2.0, but Tyrion may be "Tywin's son" but is he really Tywin come again? I think Tyrion's experiences are about to temper him, and he's about to have a very different life from Tywin, hence it would surprise me if after murdering his own father and struggling throughout ADWD to find some sort of path of his own, he would end up continuing a marriage that is Tywin's idea of a rerun of Tysha, a Rains of Castamere on the Starks, and something he knows can never make him happy either.

I tend to lean towards Tyrion definitely being Tywin writ small, but that at the same time as he is stepping into Tywin's shoes, he is also "remaking" Tywin, i.e. he will be his own version, not just a weaker version, or a copy. I guess it remains to be seen if he can actually transcend Tywin. In either case, if Tyrion learns anything of himself and what he should do to be happy, I cannot see him want to remain married to Sansa. Sansa may be good looking, but with Rickon back and disinherited, he cannot even get a keep out of her. We also know that Tyrion desires very much to be loved and Sansa cannot give him that. She remarks that he's looking at her like he was starving, but she has nothing to offer him.

Regarding Aegon, as he is a Blackfyre, I doubt Sansa will have any involvement with him. That seems a story line that will tie into the Tyrell/Martell and Kings Landing parts, and I just have a feeling Sansa's won't be heading that way. Either north (due to the rebuilding of Winterfell foreshadowing) or to the Riverlands, since we have Cat, Brienne, Jaime and Sandor all congregated there. Brienne is also on mission to find Sansa on behalf of Jaime, so they are all tied together there.

(In a twist of irony, when I wrote the "dragon vs dragonfly" I had VH1 running in the background and

. I was like WTF is that a female red haired skinchanger?? :lol: )

That first part is sort of what I was trying to say about Sansa's claim in the last thread; It should be her choice to give it up instead of Robb's. The dragon/dragonfly analogy would apply to this interpretation only if it truly is *her* choice. I still don't agree that it's an albatross for her, but I won't start that up again. Of course, interpreting the dragonflies in this way could mean bad things for Rickon :crying: (If he's around then she has no claim to give up.)

The reason it's an albatross around her neck is that she is unable herself to "use" the claim for something positive. It's a negative force, since it makes her a pawn, a piece of meat, in the eyes of everyone else.

Sansa herself has never had anything to say about her claim. It exists independently of her as a person and is the deciding factor in how she has been bartered around. If she had a position similar to Arianne Martell, she would be able to wield it in a different way, but she is not.

Pointing out that she may possibly maybe if the sun rises in the west etc. be in a position like Arianne Martell isn't really helpful either as it assumes so many things that are either difficult to achieve or nearly impossible, and at the best of projections lie several years in Sansa's future. In the meantime, her claim is a net negative since it has caused her four different marriage alliances (the first one made to Joffrey was because of her status). None of them she's had much of a say in, if any say at all.

But you are right that it should be her choice to give up or sacrifice claim or power for something else, if she wishes to. (It's extremely cynical of Robb to disinherit her when he previously has refused to trade her and Arya for Jaime, even when someone with half a brain could have told him Kingsguard can't get married, so Jaime in that regard is a "dead end", while Sansa and Arya could and were used to form alliances.)

However, a "dragon vs dragonfly" choice can also come in the guise of something else, not just the claim. Sansa using her claim would still only be married to some guy who would be Lord Stark. She herself would only be a wife. And the point is that she could not be sure that her potential future suitors would not be after her at least in part for her claim.

Great topic, Lyanna. In this story I think the simplest interpretation of dragonfly symbolism is marrying a commoner for love (and becoming the Prince - or Princess - of Dragonfiles). That would tie in with all the marriage symbolism associated with Sandor, and Sansa wanting to be married for love and not her claim.

The three times Sandor saved her, Sansa wore pink. When he stopped her from killing Joffrey, when he protected her on Joffrey's name day, and the rescue from the mob (and in this scene they particularly called out that Tyrion wanted it done for Jaime, but Sandor did it for Sansa). There were more times in the books, and of course, he tried during the beating scene by saying enough, but during the adapted scene she wore blue… then she wore his cloak (and he looks right at her then, he looks from her to Bronn, the threat to Joffrey, but keeps looking back at her).

The show scene with the cloak – up until Tyrion arrives, I see Sandor looking straight ahead, but the cut to him when Ser Meryn rips Sansa’s dress shows he’s watching nonetheless (obviously, or we wouldn’t have the central 'between you and the king’ position). I’m struck by how she’s looking at him from the moment he gives her the cloak and he’s watching her. Then Tyrion gives her his hand, and Sandor turns to look away as she turns to look at Tyrion. And the cloak, sure isn’t ‘snowy’ white is it? Plus Sandor’s not wearing it on the steps of Baelor’s. Of course, we do see him keep Ned upright when he’s hit with the rock that’s thrown.

The dragonfly symbolism – The ring is big - anachronistic nod to today’s fashion? I truly appreciate your thoughts, Lyanna; I wouldn’t have made the Dunk & Egg connection without your post. I like to think there is deeper significance than merely dragonfly = dragon + fly. I certainly would like to see Sansa be given that choice and for her to choose dragonflies. But I wonder about the translation in a medium with a simple, direct format. Might most viewers make just the dragon connection?

Perhaps the dragonflies are a shout out to book readers, who know about her love of songs, and Jenny of Oldstones and the Prince of Dragonflies.

I didn't find anything about dragonflies but I did find this:

Where a character comes from is indicated through the color and cut of the costume. When we first see Sansa [sophie Turner], she wears things in a Stark way — very well, but they are slightly clumsy and the cloth is rather homespun. As she comes to King’s Landing, her progression is influenced by Cersei [Lena Headey] and her costumes shift. After Cersei does the awful thing of sanctioning the death of Ned Stark [sansa’s father], Sansa is stuck — you can see her frozen in time. She’s looking like someone who has just killed her father. And then we will see her progression as she slowly withdraws from the look.

http://latimesblogs....le-clapton.html

Good day, folks!

'Tis time for another paper for the ongoing project on Male Influences, and as there was only a certain lion lacking that stupendous mane and a paw left for analysis, Milady thought it would be fun, took it, wrote something and failed in keeping it short; so here's another of her inevitably long essays for you to read.

And, of course, Milady has to mention a certain gentleman for all the fruitful discussions we had. Thanks, Ragnorak!

Archived