Gregor Clegane

Alexander Stark

Conan was perfect. They should have signed a contact with him, so he could have stayed on for Season 2 as well. Now that he's done with The Hobbit, and not working on anything else as far as I know, I hope he'll return for Season 4.

HBO didnt want him back according to Stevens.

HBO didnt want him back according to Stevens.

Well, that's dumb...

Come on, HBO has always listened to the viewers...what's the matter now? We're telling them to get Stevens back, if he's available. I can't believe they just cut him off like that.

Well, that's dumb...

Come on, HBO has always listened to the viewers...what's the matter now? We're telling them to get Stevens back, if he's available. I can't believe they just cut him off like that.

As much as I respect HBO for putting out a fantastic product like GoT there are many VERY foolish things they do with the show, this being one of them. I don't know what they were thinking.

Though I agree that Conan is/was better suited for Gregor, I see the reasoning for having Ian Whyte play him. The cast is huge and they have already spoken about having to start cutting down on it. So, why add/ be back someone for a role that isn't a big one, when you have someone there that can play the role as well as fill other character needs for you.

Though I agree that Conan is/was better suited for Gregor, I see the reasoning for having Ian Whyte play him. The cast is huge and they have already spoken about having to start cutting down on it. So, why add/ be back someone for a role that isn't a big one, when you have someone there that can play the role as well as fill other character needs for you.

What other roles is Whyte playing? Would Stevens be incapable of playing those roles?

The fight with the Red Viper is a HUGE scene in the story, is Whyte capable of pulling that off?

What other roles is Whyte playing? Would Stevens be incapable of playing those roles?

The fight with the Red Viper is a HUGE scene in the story, is Whyte capable of pulling that off?

Whyte is currently a White Walker and a Giant. He's also stuntman, so its a two for one deal.

I'm not sure that Whyte would be able to pull it off, he doesn't have that intense bestial fury that Stevans had. What are we meant to do though, start a petition to get Stevens back ? :P

No, Stevens very much would be capable of playing them but they already have Whyte to play them and the price to pay Whyte to play Gregor and those background roles is probably less then it is to play both men.

Yes, the fight scene with RV is a hugh scene. But, it's also only one scene. I think Whyte is capable, he was a basketball player so there is some athleticism there to handle the movement needed. Conan most likely would be better for it, he comes across with a little more ferocity then Whyte, but I'm confident in D&D's decision.

Well, in Whyte's defence, I think we think of Gregor too much as a huge brute with a perpetual ferocious glare who's always stomping about - now that I think about it, and am re-reading Clash, he actually does come off as silent and brooding.

Whyte has no defence. His body is simply the wrong shape. It's not rude. It's just the truth.

I would bet there's some unknown factor why they didnt get Conan back. They didn't get GreatJon back either, after he went elsewhere for s2.

Conan for s4 is essential IMO.

Well, in Whyte's defence, I think we think of Gregor too much as a huge brute with a perpetual ferocious glare who's always stomping about - now that I think about it, and am re-reading Clash, he actually does come off as silent and brooding.

Yeah and we really haven't gotten to see Whyte play him outside of his talks with Tywin. So people want to compare those scenes with the Hand's Tourney fight scene. They're not scenes you can fairly compare.

Whyte has no defence. His body is simply the wrong shape. It's not rude. It's just the truth.

I would bet there's some unknown factor why they didnt get Conan back. They didn't get GreatJon back either, after he went elsewhere for s2.

Conan for s4 is essential IMO.

Most believe he wasn't brought back to play the GreatJon so we could see more of Karstark and Bolton. They are the true focus of the Stark Bannermen at this point.

Stevens had a fierce aura about him, he wouldn't even have to say something, he could simply give a look and make someone shit their pants. Whyte doesn't come off like that at all.

True, but I would like to see Whyte in a fight scene before we truly compare them.

Most believe he wasn't brought back to play the GreatJon so we could see more of Karstark and Bolton. They are the true focus of the Stark Bannermen at this point.

That just sounds like a conspiracy. More likely to a contractual or scheduling error, or a dispute.

It was in defence of his acting, which people have also criticized.

Stevens had a fierce aura about him, he wouldn't even have to say something, he could simply give a look and make someone shit their pants. Whyte doesn't come off like that at all.

Though it is very counter-intuitive, the Mountain may not come off like that either. Remember Cheswick's story about the innkeep who didn't get it and wasn't frightened by Gregor? Or how he simply remained 'unmoved' and 'didn't even say a word' when he burned Sandor?

Gregor only has one more scene and that's his fight with the red viper. I'm sure they can CG the heck out of him to make him more impressive in that fight, so Ian Whyte should be fine for it. It's a pity the mountain couldn't be shown more but we'll always have the first season.

Archived