Gregor Clegane

Alexander Stark

True, but I would like to see Whyte in a fight scene before we truly compare them.

That's a good point. I definitely don't think he'll embarass himself, he is a stuntman after all. We haven't heard him angry yet either, it will be interesting to see.

Also, they managed to make him much bigger in Prometheus, as shown here, so its not impossible that a similar thing can be done if he isn't looking menacing enough.

That's a good point. I definitely don't think he'll embarass himself, he is a stuntman after all. We haven't heard him angry yet either, it will be interesting to see.

Also, they managed to make him much bigger in Prometheus, as shown here, so its not impossible that a similar thing can be done if he isn't looking menacing enough.

They really don't have to add much to him I think. Yes, he doesn't have Stevens bulk but he's in good shape and he'll be in armor. When we see him in S2 he's wearing the same armor as Stevens wore S1, but he isn't wearing the whole suit. When he puts the Pauldrons and Couters he'll look thicker.

Most believe he wasn't brought back to play the GreatJon so we could see more of Karstark and Bolton. They are the true focus of the Stark Bannermen at this point.

No he turned down s2 to works on something else, hence wasnt invited back for s3.

It was in defence of his acting, which people have also criticized.

Let's be straight. Ian Whyte is not an actor. He's a basketball player. He was hired because his height was useful for playing White walkers. For the few seconds he was in s2, he was unconvincing. His pysique is not what the book describes.

Conan Stevens can act. He's spent years in drama school. He's been in a major hollywood movie. His performance in s1 was superb. His physique is nearest to what the book describes as can be wished for.

I also prefered Conan Stevens from S1 but we arent likely to get him back so we may as well get over it.

The mistake from season 2 was showing Gregor in Lannister armour - he should have been in his Clegane armour.

CGI can fine tweek bits to make Ian Whyte look more musclar than he is - the key to getting the Red Viper fight correct is THE DIALOGUE.

If Mr Whyte can get that part right then the CGI team can do the rest.

I also prefered Conan Stevens from S1 but we arent likely to get him back so we may as well get over it.

The mistake from season 2 was showing Gregor in Lannister armour - he should have been in his Clegane armour.

CGI can fine tweek bits to make Ian Whyte look more musclar than he is - the key to getting the Red Viper fight correct is THE DIALOGUE.

He only wears a Lannister style helm, the body armor is the same as Stevens wore at the Hand's Tourney.

He only wears a Lannister style helm, the body armor is the same as Stevens wore at the Hand's Tourney.

Yes, thanks for pointing out my mistake.

The helm worn in season 1 was much more menacing

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-frc1/c15.14.185.185/s160x160/429357_370474093035605_1240961628_n.jpg

Instead they put that silly Lannister pot on his head!

No he turned down s2 to works on something else, hence wasnt invited back for s3.

Let's be straight. Ian Whyte is not an actor. He's a basketball player. He was hired because his height was useful for playing White walkers. For the few seconds he was in s2, he was unconvincing. His pysique is not what the book describes.

Conan Stevens can act. He's spent years in drama school. He's been in a major hollywood movie. His performance in s1 was superb. His physique is nearest to what the book describes as can be wished for.

Ian Whyte is an actor, just as much of one as Conan Stevens. Ian plays "the Monster" role in movies same as Conan Stevens.

But he doesn't wear the shoulder guards, which would have done a lot to make him look more bulky.

I know, I said that earlier in a post.

Is Megan Fox as much of an actress ad Judi Dench? Stevens was brilliant as The Mountain and Whyte failed at it, how much more needs to be said?

Megan Fox and Judi Dench, really?

Given both actors limited scene time as the character I would say we hardly have enough to say one was brilliant and the other failed. Granted, Ian's scenes were underwhelming in S2, you can't really blame them on him. Conan's scene in S1 was for him to be able to stand out. Ian's weren't made for that, they were for Arya and Tywin.

That's true, you have to think about what they were actually doing in their scenes. Stevens got to freak out, behead a horse, and have an amazing duel with his brother - Whyte got to... stand around and get nagged at by Tywin. It stands to reason that one would seem more memorable than the other.

I think it more HBO's fault than Conan or Whyte's really. They could have bulked up with padding or something Whyte to make him more like the character and instead they gave him differant armour.

But they didn't give him different armor, he's wearing the same armor Conan wore minus the arm pieces, they just gave him a Lannister helm instead of the great helm Conan wore at the tourney.

Yes, thanks for pointing out my mistake.

The helm worn in season 1 was much more menacing

http://profile.ak.fb...240961628_n.jpg

Instead they put that silly Lannister pot on his head!

To be honest I thought Gregor's helmet looked kinda ridiculous, like they were trying very hard to make the helmet make him look bigger than he was :lmao:

He looked the best (in both versions) without the helmet, imo.

To be honest I thought Gregor's helmet looked kinda ridiculous, like they were trying very hard to make the helmet make him look bigger than he was :lmao:

He looked the best (in both versions) without the helmet, imo.

Yeah both helms kinda suck. I'm not a big fan of most of the helms in the show so far. The Hound's has probably been the best and it would give you such tunnel vision you wouldn't be able to wear it in a fight.

the key to getting the Red Viper fight correct is THE DIALOGUE.

To be fair it's more of a monologue than a dialogue.

I think what made Whyte not so good in season 2 is that he didn't get to look like the savage brute he's supposed to be. In a fight where all he has to do is grunt, curse and yell he raped and killed kids while swinging his sword at someone, it could be different.

I believe there is some exaggeration on people's part. Yes Whyte didn't look as great, but Stevens' performance wasn't an Oscar deserving performance or anything, like some people seem to believe. He said 1 word and acted like a brute. Tons of people can pull that off. He's no Marlon Brando.

• 2 weeks later...

I always find this topic amusing. What kind of acting do you need to play a character like Gregor Clegane? Sandor OK, but Gregor? All you need is the biggest, largest guy you could get, period. People like Adam Scherr or Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson would have been good choices, tall as well as broad. Even though Stevens is certainly a muscular guy, he has a skeletal structure which just don''t make him appear as broad as he should be to pay the mountain.

As for the second Gregor, that's plain silly, in Harrenal the guy appeared just gaunt.

I always find this topic amusing. What kind of acting do you need to play a character like Gregor Clegane? Sandor OK, but Gregor? All you need is the biggest, largest guy you could get, period.

That's so true. If directors had been as hard to please as people on this forum when it came to casting Gregor I'm sure we'd still be waiting on season 1 because they wouldn't be done casting the main characters!

Archived