Gregor Clegane

Alexander Stark

Wow, I didn't even know that the Mountain was in season 2. Totally thought that was just a random tall Lannister guard. Yeah that's a bit of a problem lol.

I didn't realize it until I was rewatching season 2 last night. I just kind of gaped and thought to myself "that beanpole is supposed to be the mountain? WTF?"

Wow, I didn't even know that the Mountain was in season 2. Totally thought that was just a random tall Lannister guard. Yeah that's a bit of a problem lol.

I just realised it now, while reading this topic. My expectations for what I think is one of the most memorable scenes in the series are quickly dropping.

Gregor being recognizable in S2 is less a problem with the actor (though there's that too) and more a problem with the costuming. Whhhyyy would they just give him Random Lannister Guard Extra #233 armor and not something closer to his distinctive S1 armor? It's a very weird misstep.

If they're sticking with Whyte next season, I think they could make him look considerably bigger just with some better, bulkier armor alone.

As I said earlier in this thread, if you really want a Mountain, get Garlan Gilchrist, the guy who played Andre the Giant in the biopic. Gilchrist is 7'7", so is a good 6-8" taller than Stevens and White. (Stevens was also in Spartacus, being a barbarian tribe leader who fought Spartacus one-on-one - so, he was basically playing the wilding version of The Mountain on that show...)

And, while White may have worn the same style armor as Stevens did in season 1 (except for the helmet), Stevens certainly looked bulkier in his version of the armor.

Ian Whyte is basically the guy they keep on the team for whenever they need a model for big CGI monsters (he's been two different White Walkers and the Giant etc).

I'm not sure why they used Whyte as Clegane in S2 at all, as the Mountain didn't need to be there. Seriously, they could have just had some random Lannister guard come in and give the information to Tywin. In fact, he really only needs to be in the entire TV series for two scenes - 1) the horse-beheading at the Hand's tourney and 2) Tyrion's trial. I guess they just wanted to remind TV-only viewers he existed.

At Tyrion's trial, you could put pretty much any monstrously big guy with sufficient fighting skills in a suit of armour and not show his face. So Conan's departure isn't a problem as long as you can find someone who is massive and can move. Dub the voice from someone else if the visor never comes up.

Gregor being recognizable in S2 is less a problem with the actor (though there's that too) and more a problem with the costuming. Whhhyyy would they just give him Random Lannister Guard Extra #233 armor and not something closer to his distinctive S1 armor? It's a very weird misstep.

If they're sticking with Whyte next season, I think they could make him look considerably bigger just with some better, bulkier armor alone.

But they didn't give him different armor, he's wearing the same armor Conan wore minus the arm pieces. They just gave him a Lannister helm instead of the great helm Conan wore at the tourney.

Ian Whyte is basically the guy they keep on the team for whenever they need a model for big CGI monsters (he's been two different White Walkers and the Giant etc).

I'm not sure why they used Whyte as Clegane in S2 at all, as the Mountain didn't need to be there. Seriously, they could have just had some random Lannister guard come in and give the information to Tywin. In fact, he really only needs to be in the entire TV series for two scenes - 1) the horse-beheading at the Hand's tourney and 2) Tyrion's trial. I guess they just wanted to remind TV-only viewers he existed.

At Tyrion's trial, you could put pretty much any monstrously big guy with sufficient fighting skills in a suit of armour and not show his face. So Conan's departure isn't a problem as long as you can find someone who is massive and can move. Dub the voice from someone else if the visor never comes up.

Whyte being their go to stunt guy for large beings would fill that role perfectly. I agree the Mountain doesn't really need to be shown all that much. The S2 scenes weren't needed at all.

But they didn't give him different armor, he's wearing the same armor Conan wore minus the arm pieces. They just gave him a Lannister helm instead of the great helm Conan wore at the tourney.

Well, the arm and shoulder pieces are what made Stevens look that huge. Try and compare these two photos:

Conan Stevens: http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjA0NTgyNTA5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDUxMzYyNQ@@._V1._SX640_SY955_.jpg

Ian Whyte: http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjYzNDQ0MTMyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDgyNTE2OA@@._V1._SX640_SY908_.jpg

You'll see they're not that different. Yes, Whyte is a little less bulky, but the shoulder and arm pieces of the armor made 90% of Stevens' size.

Well, the arm and shoulder pieces are what made Stevens look that huge. Try and compare these two photos:

Conan Stevens: http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjA0NTgyNTA5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDUxMzYyNQ@@._V1._SX640_SY955_.jpg

Ian Whyte: http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjYzNDQ0MTMyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDgyNTE2OA@@._V1._SX640_SY908_.jpg

You'll see they're not that different. Yes, Whyte is a little less bulky, but the shoulder and arm pieces of the armor made 90% of Stevens' size.

Yeah that's what I've been trying to get across to people. It's the same armor minus the pauldrons(shoulder pieces) and couters(elbow pieces), you put those on Whyte and he'll look a lot broader.

Cover Whyte in armor, and he would look just as intimidating as Stevens. The way they dressed him in S2 was terrible, somehow he looked thin despite it not being the case at all.

I would like this to be talked about in a future interview.

Not to mention in S2 Whyte was dressed as a typical Lannister guard as opposed to a knight of House Clegane. Stevens' scene in S1 had him in some pretty cool looking armor. Not so much for Whyte in S2. That could've made a huge difference.

No, he was wearing the same armor as in Season 1. The only difference was the helmet, and that the armor lacked the pauldrons.

EDIT: whoops someone already mentioned that, my bad.

And yes, I'm pretty sure its the shoulder pieces that made people think Conan is way bigger.

They're completely different. Lol, Stevens used to be a bodybuilder and is built like a fridge.

The bottom line is that they either need to recast the role of the Mountain or at least figure out a way to make him look bigger and more intimidating. I agree with everyone here who says they hated how he looked in season two. I blame the showrunners for that, not the actor. It's their job to make the character look enormous and intimidating. They didn't do that. He was far too thin and the Lannister helmet was all wrong.

Really, though, you add some fake bulk to the guy and he'd probably be fine for the role. They just can't make him look so damn thin.

Archived