[Spoiler] The Golden Company

flipper323

AFFC pg 718 (Cersei IV)

“Whilst we await Lord Walder’s death, there is another matter,” said Aurane Waters. “The Golden Company has broken its contract with Myr. Around the docks I’ve heard men say that Lord Stannis has hired them and is bringing them across the sea.”

I think thats a hint left by GRRM, if people in king's landing believed that Stannis hired GC.

so could Stannis' men holding Storm's end.

It still pisses me off that Storm's End is apparently going to be taken so easily.

I liked the impression that Storm's End, inspired by Stannis's ferocious and successful perseverance there during the War of the Usurper, would hold SE in his name at all cost AND THEN ultimately Storm's End would be a super useful foothold by Stannis in the south in the last book. Kind of lame that it isn't turning out this way, really. :(

Here is a different take. The letter sent to Jon by Ramsay is then telegraphed/sent by ravens from the wall to the entire realm. The letter states that Stannis is dead. Stannis's people left to hold Stroms End will not want to hold out for Shireen (due to her condition) and pledge to Connington, their former overlord and the fortress falls without bloodshed.

they picked up some monkeys on the way to westeros and have trained them to climb up the privy shafts and open the front door. . . . . . . . . . or they simply walked up to the front door and claimed to be their new neighbours, and could they borrow a cup of sugar?

they picked up some monkeys on the way to westeros and have trained them to climb up the privy shafts and open the front door. . . . . . . . . . or they simply walked up to the front door and claimed to be their new neighbours, and could they borrow a cup of sugar?

One does not simply ask for sugar.

Or Trojan Elephant.

"What happens now?"

"Well, now Connington, Duck and I wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the elephant, taking the French by surprise - not only by surprise, and totally unarmed!"

"Who leaps out?"

"Connington, Duck and I... leap out of the elephant... Oh. [pause] If we build this large wooden badger..."

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Tyrell's aren't besieging Storm's End anymore as of the end of ADWD, since the whole thing with Margery is quite frightening Mace. IIRC he recalled his forces to King's Landing. If the Golden Company suddenly comes and takes Storm's End, I doubt anyone will be happy.

Although, I do believe that that little rumor Cersei heard in AFFC will have some repercussions in the near future. When (I do believe there isn't an 'if' here) Aegon takes Storm's End, the Lannisters-Tyrells will believe it is Stannis. I don't know exactly what that will change about their reaction, but it will be different if they think it is Stannis and not Aegon.

I think the Tyrell's aren't besieging Storm's End anymore as of the end of ADWD, since the whole thing with Margery is quite frightening Mace. IIRC he recalled his forces to King's Landing. If the Golden Company suddenly comes and takes Storm's End, I doubt anyone will be happy.

Although, I do believe that that little rumor Cersei heard in AFFC will have some repercussions in the near future. When (I do believe there isn't an 'if' here) Aegon takes Storm's End, the Lannisters-Tyrells will believe it is Stannis. I don't know exactly what that will change about their reaction, but it will be different if they think it is Stannis and not Aegon.

Mace did take his army and march for KL, but his left a token force to pen the defenders inside the castle. This is likely a light force of maybe 500 men or so.

The GC could easily overwhelm such a force, but will never take the castle by normal means. We know that Connington and the GC have conquered much of the Stormlands already. My thoughts are that the GC will commandeer some of the uniforms, armor and colors of the captured houses and pretend to be a force loyal to Stannis.

It is known in storms end that Stannis is trying to hire the golden company, so if they smash a couple of tyrells on the way in the gates will be open gratefully. since the golden company are working for (f) Aegon who is trying to cosy up to Dorne, attacking Tyrells would not disrupt joncon's wider plans either, since the dornish have been squabbling with the Tyrells for centuries

Archived