Small questions v.10002

Angalin

Hey, I'm new to the forums. Just one quick question. I was reading the thread where some guy asked about whats the strongest fortification in westeros....

I was one of those people that gave that answer. It's not fair to even really compare it to other castles. Ravens can't find it, neither can men.

I have my own question.

Why does Melisandre betray Stannis and not kill Mance Rayder? Why does Jon Snow not kill him when he finds out he's alive? My main question is the mel deal. I mean she's betraying the man she believes is AA.

When she switches Rattleskirt and Mance Rayder to allow the deserter of the Night's Watch to live.

:lmao:

Its a good question. I think it's because Mel had another use for Mance which she may have seen in her flames as beneficial to Stannis' cause. It's also odd that she seems to forget the whole "there's power in king's blood" thing. :dunno:

:lmao:

Its a good question. I think it's because Mel had another use for Mance which she may have seen in her flames as beneficial to Stannis' cause. It's also odd that she seems to forget the whole "there's power in king's blood" thing. :dunno:

Yeah, I think this is one of the clues pointing towards her not believing and outright lying when saying she wants to burn kings for some magical reasons. I think her reasons for getting rid of heirs and royals are purely practical.

She never sounds as if she believes anything will really happen when she burns some king. And by the way, what is her explanation? What happened and where are the dragons out of stone when she burned "Mance", does she ever say anything on this? (That's a genuine question not rhetorical).

Yeah, I think this is one of the clues pointing towards her not believing and outright lying when saying she wants to burn kings for some magical reasons. I think her reasons for getting rid of heirs and royals are purely practical.

I feel a red priesthood conspiracy theory coming on. :uhoh:

I feel a red priesthood conspiracy theory coming on. :uhoh:

Not really, but I'll admit I've had some thoughts on Mel being more "Game of Thrones" than "Game of Ice and Fire (magic and mystique)". Martin has confirmed she has her own agenda and isn't acting on behalf of any red priest order. I even had the crackpot thought of her not being an actual fire priest, but a person with some magic skills who hides her real intentions behind the mask of blind black-and-white faith.

Isn't it possible that Stannis was aware that it was Rattleshirt burning and not Mance? Publicly he had to appear to kill Mance because of his whole obsession with justice, and to maybe scare the wildlings in line. Maybe I'm misinterpreting this quote, but I thought it suggested that Stannis was swayed by Jon's argument that the laws end at the wall and decided to spare Mance at Mel's urging. (more using Jon's logic as an excuse than actually being convinced by it.)

“Our false king has a prickly manner,” Melisandre told Jon Snow, “but he will not betray you. We

hold his son, remember. And he owes you his very life.”

“Me?” Snow sounded startled. “Who else, my lord? Only his life’s blood could pay for his crimes,

your laws said, and Stannis Baratheon is not a man to go against the law … but as you said so sagely, the

laws of men end at the Wall.

Isn't it possible that Stannis was aware that it was Rattleshirt burning and not Mance? Publicly he had to appear to kill Mance because of his whole obsession with justice, and to maybe scare the wildlings in line. Maybe I'm misinterpreting this quote, but I thought it suggested that Stannis was swayed by Jon's argument that the laws end at the wall and decided to spare Mance at Mel's urging. (more using Jon's logic as an excuse than actually being convinced by it.)

Doesn't she just mean that Jon's word is heavier than Stannis' at the wall?

Doesn't she just mean that Jon's word is heavier than Stannis' at the wall?

I honestly don't know. It's at the end of her one POV chapter if you wanna read it in context. I do think she really believes Stannis to be AA and thus probably wouldn't want to lie to him.

On the wiki all of Ned's ToJ party are listed as dead except Theo Wull, who is listed as presumably dead. Is this just a mistake or is there some theory he is alive?

I've never heard of such theory. On the TOJ wiki page, it lists all of them as being killed save for Ned and Howland. The wiki is edited by fans so it's not something one should use as a primary resource. Fans can and do get things wrong.

On the wiki all of Ned's ToJ party are listed as dead except Theo Wull, who is listed as presumably dead. Is this just a mistake or is there some theory he is alive?

It could be because of double verification for all the others, but not for Theo Wull. Not sure.

I've never heard of such theory. On the TOJ wiki page, it lists all of them as being killed save for Ned and Howland. The wiki is edited by fans so it's not something one should use as a primary resource. Fans can and do get things wrong.

Yeah I know but I just thought it odd that one was listed as possibly allve.

Yeah I know but I just thought it odd that one was listed as possibly allve.

I see a lot of really odd things on the wiki. It's like any other wiki. Take it with a grain of salt and verify things yourself. If you see something wrong, edit and correct the entry.

Archived