Small questions v.10002

Angalin

Yes, he put an arrow through the hand of LC of the KG Gerold Hightower in the event he supposedly kissed Elia. In this case, some members of the KG may have been acting as the honor guard for Elia when she was traveling to KL to marry Rhaegar. The road from Sunspear to KL is through the Kingswood.

That's what I was thinking when I read it, but I had noticed it upon fist read, only on reread (after I had learned a bit more about the Dornish ruling family). It was one of those "wait, whaaaaat?" moments.

Re-reads are great.

Again, I think his plan changed when he met Sansa. Otherwise why offer to marry her while Ned was in the black cells?

Marrying Catelyn wouldn't give him a claim to Winterfell, marrying Sansa does (assuming Rob, Bran and Rickon are dead.)

I know Catelyn couldn't give him anything but a possible claim to Riverrun (and with the Black Fish, Edmure and Sweetrobin in the way it's a longshot). I really believe he JUST wanted Catelyn. She really was the love of his life. I also think he really believes it was Catelyn who came to his bed the night the Black Fish carried him, drunk, to bed; not Lysa.

If I'm not mistaken, LF's offer to marry Sansa wasn't when her father was in the Black Cells. I think it was when he let them know about the Tyrell's plot to marry Sansa to Willis. Being too low born, they gave her to Tyrion instead.

And yes, I DO think that he got Lysa to off her husband just to get a crack at eliminating Ned. Remember, Ned would have turned down the Hand's position if it hadn't been for the message about Jon Arryn's murder. Cersei believed Ned would refuse. Only a debt of honor (justice for his foster father and mentor) would have gotten Ned out of Winterfell, where he was untouchable.

King's Landing was LF's base and getting Ned there gave him ALL the advantages. LF is patient, persistent, and thrives on chaos. As much as I want to see him get his, I have to admire his footwork. That man turns on a half-dime!

Why did Tywin let the Lannister line basically die out? As far as he knows Tyrion will never father an heir, why didn't he force Jaime to marry someone?

He not only tried, he was in denial about Jamie not leaving the KG. It was all over the series.

Oh by the way, Tywin's brothers do have sons, so they aren't about to die out, even if they were they have a cadet branch of the family, Lannisters of Lannisport.

He not only tried, he was in denial about Jamie not leaving the KG. It was all over the series.

Oh by the way, Tywin's brothers do have sons, so they aren't about to die out, even if they were they have a cadet branch of the family, Lannisters of Lannisport.

If Tywin was really concerned about making sure his line continued, he wouldn't have tried to marry Jaime to LYSA TULLY. That might have been the most foolish thought of his entire life. Did he not know Jaime at all?

...I suppose the answer is clearly no, as he turned a blind eye to Jaime and Cersei.

We know that J & S were fooling around as kids and got caught, but was the next time they did anything seriously that night Cersei came to Jaime at KL to convince him to join the KG?

Well not including Marcella and Tommen, if Tyrion does not have children the line is in peril. Of Kevan's sons, Lancel has joined the faith, Willem is dead leaving Marytn to carry on the line. Tygett's son Tyrek's is missing and possibly dead, Gerion had a natural daughter and is currently missing.

Edit: There is also Daven Lannister, son of Stafford, who was Joanna's sister.

Why did Tywin let the Lannister line basically die out? As far as he knows Tyrion will never father an heir, why didn't he force Jaime to marry someone?

The Lannister line of succession according to the wiki:

[dead] (removed for various reasons)

-[Tywin Lannister]

-(Jaime Lannister)

-(Tyrion Lannister)

-Cersei Lannister + [Robert Baratheon]

-[Joffrey Baratheon]

-Tommen Baratheon

-Myrcella Baratheon

-[Kevan Lannister]

-(Lancel Lannister)

-[Willem Lannister]

-Martyn Lannister

- Janei Lannister

-[Tygett Lannister]

-Tyrek Lannister

-[Gerion Lannister]

-Genna Lannister + Emmon Frey

-[Cleos Frey]

-Tywin Frey

-Willem Frey

-Lionel Frey

-[Tion Frey]

-Walder Frey

-[stafford Lannister]

-Daven Lannister

-Cerenna Lannister

-Myrielle Lannister

-[Joanna Lannister] + [Tywin Lannister]

-(Jaime Lannister)

-(Tyrion Lannister)

-Cersei Lannister + [Robert Baratheon]

-[Joffrey Baratheon]

-Tommen Baratheon

-Myrcella Baratheon

-Damion Lannister

-Lucion Lannister

-Lanna Lannister + Antario Jast

-sons

-Margot Lannister + Titus Peake

The Lannister line of succession according to the wiki

{Removed for length}

If I'm counting correctly there are currently 4 people of the current generation who are likely to carry on the Lannister name, all of which are reasonably distant relatives. I guess houses do die out, the Targs basically have for one.

This scene is in the throne room. Sansa has previously been slapped around by Trant and then later dragged to watch. After this, she's taken to look upon the heads of her father and household.

A woman fell to her knees to plead for the head of a man executed as a traitor. She had loved him, she said, and she wanted to see him decently buried. “If you loved a traitor, you must be a traitor too,” Joffrey said. Two gold cloaks dragged her off to the dungeons.

Anyone have any ideas about whose head this woman was claiming or what later happened to her?

was wondering about this also.

Is there any rule about the numbers? Like three-and-foutry instead of foutry-three? Like what is used when?

This was the numbering convention until relatively recently. Sherlock books, many of them written in the 19th century, use these numbers. It was only when going above a hundred that they go the other way around. Most numbers above twenty seem to have "and" in them. Not sure if there is a rhyme and reason other than "because" but then again, in English we have special names for all of the numbers up to nineteen and then just start adding the numerals to multiples of ten.

e.g. 22 = Two-and-twenty.

122 = One hundred-and-twenty-two.

Not sure if there is a rhyme and reason other than "because"

There are advantages to putting the units first and there are advantages to putting the tens first: If you put the units first, it's much easier to add numbers. If you put the higher places first, it's much quicker to read off the approximate value of the number (you can do so before you've heard the end). Both advantages are good, and it even also makes some sense to prefer the adding advantage for 2 digit numbers but to believe that third digits make the number so big that they need to be announced first, leading to mixed systems as are used in the books and e.g. older English.

But it has been international convention to write numbers with the highest value position to the left. So in languages that write from left to right, the adoption of this numeral system brought a strong drive to pronounce numerals with the highest value first and then the others strictly ordered. There are still plenty of European languages that haven't adopted a strict highest-to-lowest ordering though, German or Dutch for example.

There are advantages to putting the units first and there are advantages to putting the tens first: If you put the units first, it's much easier to add numbers. If you put the higher places first, it's much quicker to read off the approximate value of the number (you can do so before you've heard the end). Both advantages are good, and it even also makes some sense to prefer the adding advantage for 2 digit numbers but to believe that third digits make the number so big that they need to be announced first, leading to mixed systems as are used in the books and e.g. older English.

But it has been international convention to write numbers with the highest value position to the left. So in languages that write from left to right, the adoption of this numeral system brought a strong drive to pronounce numerals with the highest value first and then the others strictly ordered. There are still plenty of European languages that haven't adopted a strict highest-to-lowest ordering though, German or Dutch for example.

That's really fascinating! :D

It makes more sense when you think that for a long time, most people had no reason to have a number larger than 100. In fact, the original series of Roman numerals had nothing above a thousand, so their highest number was MMMMMMMMMDCCCCLXXXXIX, or 9,999. Funnily enough, the numeral would have been longer since they also didn't start with the convention of shorthand numerals, such as IV for 4 and IX for 9; they used IIII and VIIII.

Arabic numerals really shortened things. :) I wonder which system Westeros uses?

If I'm counting correctly there are currently 4 people of the current generation who are likely to carry on the Lannister name, all of which are reasonably distant relatives. I guess houses do die out, the Targs basically have for one.

There aren't many, but they are young and will likely all have children, providing they survive.

ETA: if you remember, Tywin was very determined to find Tyrek.

Do you guys believe in curses / cursed people / cursed places ? Because, I do.

There's Harrenhal, Mathos Mallarawan's wife, Rhaego and probably Margaery Tyrell....

What do you think ? :dunno:

Depends what you mean by curses. Clearly magic exists, and some people can see the future. Rhaego and Mathos Mallarawan's wife (had to look that one up.) are both just instances of people using magic for revenge, which I guess you could call a curse. I dunno what you mean about Margaery other than maybe that her husbands tend to die? As for Harrenhal ask me when the series is over and we know what becomes of Littlefinger.

Depends what you mean by curses. Clearly magic exists, and some people can see the future. Rhaego and Mathos Mallarawan's wife (had to look that one up.) are both just instances of people using magic for revenge, which I guess you could call a curse. I dunno what you mean about Margaery other than maybe that her husbands tend to die? As for Harrenhal ask me when the series is over and we know what becomes of Littlefinger.

Yeah, I mean it.

Thanks for replying me ! :laugh:

Archived