Small questions v.10002

Angalin

What kind of a sword does the Hound use? Is it a longsword a greatsword or both?

From early in the first book:

Clegane cast a long shadow across the hard-packed earth as his squire lowered the black helm over his head. “I could silence the creature, if it please you,” he said through his open visor. His boy placed a longsword in his hand. He tested the weight of it, slicing at the cold morning air. Behind him, the yard rang to the clangor of steel on steel.

I don't think there's any mention of him using a greatsword but he may have on occasion.

In another thread, the people at The Inn at the Crossroads said they started their cooking by working their way through a concordance of food and drink kindly supplied by Westeros. Is that concordance anywhere on Westeros.org? I have looked but can't find.

In another thread, the people at The Inn at the Crossroads said they started their cooking by working their way through a concordance of food and drink kindly supplied by Westeros. Is that concordance anywhere on Westeros.org? I have looked but can't find.

This may be what they were talking about: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Concordance/Section/2.8./

I wanted to post in the Homage pinned thread but I'l ask here first if somebody has made the connection or if i'm pushing to far.

I'm from Portugal and I saw that some people agree with the feeling I had when reading the books that Dorne is somewhat inspired by the Iberian Peninsula history. The Rhoynars sound a lot like the Moors and all the Dornish vibe makes me dream of medieval Iberia.

I saw in a thread someone making the comparison between Nymeria and Tariq ibn Ziyad, a great moorish commander who burned his ships after reaching southern Spain. (someone also made a Cortés reference but that is not true, Cortés' ships were sunk)

On a side note, we had several christian kingdoms (who would also fight between them) fighting together against the Moors but also soem long times of peace between us which led to a great influence left by the moors in here, after all they owned us for more than 400 years. (I wish GRRM had written my history books... I bet it would be epic! ahaha :P)

Now that being said, what I wanted to know was if someone has ever mentioned this:

Being the Valyrian conquest compared to the Roman Empire, and that Targaryens are Valyrian, could it be that the guerrilla warfare mastered by the Dornish is inspired by the Lusitans?

For those who don't know, the Lusitans were a Celtiberian tribe located in some mountains, now portuguese, and their famous lider Viriato was a pain in the arse for the Roman generals.

Like Dorne they were never beaten, but, instead of "conquered by marriage" , the Romans tried to make a pact with him (Viriato) while behind his back bribed three of his close allies to murder him.

He is even now remembered as the Terror of the Romans. (TERROR ROMANORUM)

I know we don't have much information about the Dornish tactics but what do you guys think? Is it good enough to post as a possible Homage, has anyone already mentioned it? Is it "known" and I'm just late? ahahahah

Also, forgive my grammar in advance :cool4:

PS: This Forum is awesome. :drool:

Were there any Theon chapters in ASoS or AFfC? Or reek mentioned in any books before ADWD?

There are no Theon chapters in those books. The original Reek is mentioned during ACoK obviouisly. Theon is mentioned a few times in ASoS and AFfC, most notably when Roose Bolton gives Robb a piece of his skin at the Twins. No one outside the Dreadfort knows that Theon has been warped into Reek until Ramsey lets him out of the dungeons to negotiate with the Ironborn who were holding Moat Cailin.

There are no Theon chapters in those books. The original Reek is mentioned during ACoK obviouisly. Theon is mentioned a few times in ASoS and AFfC, most notably when Roose Bolton gives Robb a piece of his skin at the Twins. No one outside the Dreadfort knows that That has been warped into Reek until Ramsey lets him out of the dungeons to negotiate with the Ironborn who were holding Moat Cailin.

Thank you Ser/M'lady.

I wanted to post in the Homage pinned thread but I'l ask here first if somebody has made the connection or if i'm pushing to far.

I'm from Portugal and I saw that some people agree with the feeling I had when reading the books that Dorne is somewhat inspired by the Iberian Peninsula history. The Rhoynars sound a lot like the Moors and all the Dornish vibe makes me dream of medieval Iberia.

I saw in a thread someone making the comparison between Nymeria and Tariq ibn Ziyad, a great moorish commander who burned his ships after reaching southern Spain. (someone also made a Cortés reference but that is not true, Cortés' ships were sunk)

On a side note, we had several christian kingdoms (who would also fight between them) fighting together against the Moors but also soem long times of peace between us which led to a great influence left by the moors in here, after all they owned us for more than 400 years. (I wish GRRM had written my history books... I bet it would be epic! ahaha :P)

Now that being said, what I wanted to know was if someone has ever mentioned this:

Being the Valyrian conquest compared to the Roman Empire, and that Targaryens are Valyrian, could it be that the guerrilla warfare mastered by the Dornish is inspired by the Lusitans?

For those who don't know, the Lusitans were a Celtiberian tribe located in some mountains, now portuguese, and their famous lider Viriato was a pain in the arse for the Roman generals.

Like Dorne they were never beaten, but, instead of "conquered by marriage" , the Romans tried to make a pact with him (Viriato) while behind his back bribed three of his close allies to murder him.

I know we don't have much information about the Dornish tactics but what do you guys think? Is it good enough to post as a possible Homage, has anyone already mentioned it? Is it "known" and I'm just late? ahahahah

Well I don't involve myself in that thread so if I don't know if it has come up before, but I've never heard it before and it seems quite possible. You can read all the previous posts in that thread or failing that, I know there's a lot to sift through, you can just post it anyway, apologising if it has come up before. I don't think anyone's going to be cross with you. :)

Welcome!

Actually you may be onto something. GRRM likes Spain and I recall he patterned Dorne after someplace he liked - darn now i have to go watch some SSM video <G>

@ Stannis Eats No Peaches I will follow your advice! Long live Stannis the Mannis!

@ rmholt Ah! Please share it with me if you find something :P Can I send him a question to SSM?! I never rly got how that works.

Thanks a lot to both of you for the warm welcome :drunk: and I found out something new I will have to add, and that imo seals the deal,

"Iberian cavalry tactics involved knights approaching the enemy and throwing javelins, before withdrawing to a safe distance before commencing another assault. Once the enemy formation was sufficiently weakened, the knights charged with thrusting spears (lances did not arrive in Hispania until the 11th century.)"

Was trying to find a reason for the "Dornish Spears" because we never used the phalanx I presume.

@ Stannis Eats No Peaches I will follow your advice! Long live Stannis the Mannis!

@ rmholt Ah! Please share it with me if you find something :P Can I send him a question to SSM?! I never rly got how that works.

Thanks a lot to both of you for the warm welcome :drunk: and I found out something new I will have to add, and that imo seals the deal,

"Iberian cavalry tactics involved knights approaching the enemy and throwing javelins, before withdrawing to a safe distance before commencing another assault. Once the enemy formation was sufficiently weakened, the knights charged with thrusting spears (lances did not arrive in Hispania until the 11th century.)"

Was trying to find a reason for the "Dornish Spears" because we never used the phalanx I presume.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Historical_Influences_for_Dorne

Of course the videos cannot be searched by the all westeros search engine \

Marie

When Bran calls Cold Hands a monster like Old Nans stories then asks about the 3EC, Cold Hands starts telling him stuff then the door flys open to their hut and he says "Your monster, Brandon Stark." And all the crows keep saying "yours."

Was he talking about himself or BR? If he is talking about himself, does he mean because he is there to help Bran or is there something more to it?

If you read the whole passage Coldhands is refering to BR.

Archived