Small questions v.10002

Angalin

Maybe this belongs somewhere else because it's more of an observation born from the coincidence of a reread combined with a re-watch of season 1 of the show than a question. But... has anyone else noticed that Sandor Clegane's face in the show is backwards? In the books his scar/disfigurement is clearly described as being on the left side of his face, while on the show it's the right. It drives me nuts because I can't think of a reason for the switch other than sloppiness. Comments?

Maybe this belongs somewhere else because it's more of an observation born from the coincidence of a reread combined with a re-watch of season 1 of the show than a question. But... has anyone else noticed that Sandor Clegane's face in the show is backwards? In the books his scar/disfigurement is clearly described as being on the left side of his face, while on the show it's the right. It drives me nuts because I can't think of a reason for the switch other than sloppiness. Comments?

I'd not noticed this. In fact, just Googled the images to have a look!

It's possible that it's sloppy or it's possible that they had a reason for the switch. The only thing that I can imagine is that they wanted his scar to be readily visible and always seem to film from the perspective that shows the right hand of his face in better line of sight. That's a stab in the dark, though.

I'd not noticed this. In fact, just Googled the images to have a look!

It's possible that it's sloppy or it's possible that they had a reason for the switch. The only thing that I can imagine is that they wanted his scar to be readily visible and always seem to film from the perspective that shows the right hand of his face in better line of sight. That's a stab in the dark, though.

Thank you! While I suppose it's also possible they just didn't anticipate the level of detail diehard fans would pick up on, that's a very good guess. I'll go with it to keep from driving myself crazy :P

Hello everyone,

I have a question concerning the plot of the series, so spoiler alert if you havent read it yet!

In aDwD (or maybe even earlier, cant remember now) we learn that Varys is actually supporting Targaryens from the beginning, along with his friend Illyrio. And this concerns not only Aegon but Viserys (and i assume Daenerys) too, afaik. My question then: Why did he actually send an assasin to kill Daenerys in aGoT? I am talking about the one ser Jorah stopped of course. I must be missing something? Or was it not Varys? Thx in advance.

Well, for instance Davos' crippled hand is the left in the books and the right in the show, because the show actor is left-handed. I'd guess they had their reason to do this with Clegane. As a person whose work is heavily involved with TV shows, my bet would be there was some reason. Also, Hodor has a scar in the show and not in the books, because actor Hodor has a tattoo on the face which book Hodor doesn't.

It's the most expensive series in history and trust me, people are losing sleep over how to portrait a character, so I wouldn't say it was sloppiness. And sometimes reasons for such things can be pretty mundane, for example he could have had a mole on the other side of his face and they couldn't risk applying the heavy makeup :)

Hello everyone,

I have a question concerning the plot of the series, so spoiler alert if you havent read it yet!

In aDwD (or maybe even earlier, cant remember now) we learn that Varys is actually supporting Targaryens from the beginning, along with his friend Illyrio. And this concerns not only Aegon but Viserys (and i assume Daenerys) too, afaik. My question then: Why did he actually send an assasin to kill Daenerys in aGoT? I am talking about the one ser Jorah stopped of course. I must be missing something? Or was it not Varys? Thx in advance.

Lot's of threads on this and similar issues. Many speculate that Varys wanted Dany to die so that Drogo would get FURIOUS and bring his khalasar to Westeros. This would create chaos making it easier for Aegon to conquer.

Well, for instance Davos' crippled hand is the left in the books and the right in the show, because the show actor is left-handed. I'd guess they had their reason to do this with Clegane. As a person whose work is heavily involved with TV shows, my bet would be there was some reason. Also, Hodor has a scar in the show and not in the books, because actor Hodor has a tattoo on the face which book Hodor doesn't.

It's the most expensive series in history and trust me, people are losing sleep over how to portrait a character, so I wouldn't say it was sloppiness. And sometimes reasons for such things can be pretty mundane, for example he could have had a mole on the other side of his face and they couldn't risk applying the heavy makeup :)

Thanks for the insight :)

As someone whose background is writing, I understand changes necessary to a compressed story arc, but some of these little things mystify and irritate me. Good to know there are reasons, even of they are beyond my ken.

Lot's of threads on this and similar issues. Many speculate that Varys wanted Dany to die so that Drogo would get FURIOUS and bring his khalasar to Westeros. This would create chaos making it easier for Aegon to conquer.

Really? I thought i was just missing something. Tbh theories like that seem a bit too far fetched. Killing her just for the off chance that Drogo will decide to swim across the sea to kick some westerosi asses isn't a good bet considering how much he and illyrio invested in her (arranging the marriage, supporting viserys, giving her the dragon eggs). Just seems idiotic that he would one day come to a conclusion: "oh, wait, maybe lets just slay her and see what happens". My guess would be it was either not Varys or the poison he provided wasnt going to be fatal etc. sth along those lines.

Question that I've been thinking about recently: can Red Priests use fires to communicate with each other? I can't remember it happening anywhere in the books, but in one of the Game of Thrones video games (the RPG), a Red Priest in Westeros speaks with a priest in Essos via the hearth in his room.

I know the video games won't be as reliable as the books, but GRRM did review the script to make sure that it was consistent with the world of ASOIAF, so I'm curious as to whether it's actually mentioned in the text anywhere.

Question that I've been thinking about recently: can Red Priests use fires to communicate with each other? I can't remember it happening anywhere in the books, but in one of the Game of Thrones video games (the RPG), a Red Priest in Westeros speaks with a priest in Essos via the hearth in his room.

I know the video games won't be as reliable as the books, but GRRM did review the script to make sure that it was consistent with the world of ASOIAF, so I'm curious as to whether it's actually mentioned in the text anywhere.

I don't think so, closest thing would be the glass candles. Still if you can see the future in the flames it's not outside the realm of possibility that two experienced red priests could somehow use them to communicate.

I don't think so, closest thing would be the glass candles. Still if you can see the future in the flames it's not outside the realm of possibility that two experienced red priests could somehow use them to communicate.

Thanks for the reply!

If it turns out that communication via flames is actually possible, I think it could make an interesting point. Especially if seeing the future is somehow linked to it. Being able to have that sort of connection to a remote place would be kind of reminiscent of Bran's experiences with the weirwoods.

If you read the whole passage Coldhands is refering to BR.

I don't think that you are correct.

Hello everyone,

In aDwD (or maybe even earlier, cant remember now) we learn that Varys is actually supporting Targaryens from the beginning, along with his friend Illyrio1. And this concerns not only Aegon but Viserys (and i assume Daenerys) too2, afaik. My question then: Why did he actually send an assasin to kill Daenerys in aGoT?3 I am talking about the one ser Jorah stopped of course. I must be missing something? Or was it not Varys? Thx in advance.

That is a few big not a small questions, but

1. Many think Varys is a Blackfyre supporter, and there are many threads about it.

2. Varys and Illyrio first plan was Aegon, with Viserys a second, and Dany a third. again many threads about these things.

3. Varys had to do what Robert wanted to do, or Robert would find someone else to do it. Many think that Varys told Jorah what was going on, so that he might stop it.

About time for 10003

If you read the whole passage Coldhands is refering to BR.

If you read the whole passage Coldhands is apparently referring to BR but Coldhands is also obliquely named as a monster by Bran. So I take it they are both monsters, and both Bran's monsters.

Regarding the TV-Sandor thing, it could also be partially due to the fact the ACTOR prefers it the way they ended up doing it. Like for instance, it's easier for him to concentrate/focus while acting with one side than the other? Kind of lame, but it makes sense if you think about it. I know this is the reason they didn't get Dany / Viserys / Maestor Aemon violet contact lenses. They tried during demo-shoots, and the actor who played Viserys was just like "LOOK, THIS ISN'T GOING TO WORK" and so they cut the contact lenses all together.

Although, a cool thing about details, is the actress who plays Arya learned her swordplay entirely left-handed and is left-handed in about 90% of her scenes in the show. The real life actress is right handed. (although, pretty sure I heard something about how in a interview from like a month ago she is now ambidextrous thanks to the show)

Just a small question... Do we ever learn what Ser Kevan did and where he went post-leaving Castle Darry but before returning to King's Landing? I only read ADwD once so my memory is a bit off, but I was wondering if he just went straight from Darry to Casterly Rock and sat around until he got Pycelle's raven telling him to return to King's Landing.

Also, another Lannister question, is Ser Daven technically the head of house lannister now for all intents and purposes? Or is he only in control, but not the new Lord of Casterly Rock? I'm kind of confused by the whole inheritance tree.

Regarding the TV-Sandor thing, it could also be partially due to the fact the ACTOR prefers it the way they ended up doing it. Like for instance, it's easier for him to concentrate/focus while acting with one side than the other? Kind of lame, but it makes sense if you think about it. I know this is the reason they didn't get Dany / Viserys / Maestor Aemon violet contact lenses. They tried during demo-shoots, and the actor who played Viserys was just like "LOOK, THIS ISN'T GOING TO WORK" and so they cut the contact lenses all together.

Although, a cool thing about details, is the actress who plays Arya learned her swordplay entirely left-handed and is left-handed in about 90% of her scenes in the show. The real life actress is right handed. (although, pretty sure I heard something about how in a interview from like a month ago she is now ambidextrous thanks to the show)

Just a small question... Do we ever learn what Ser Kevan did and where he went post-leaving Castle Darry but before returning to King's Landing? I only read ADwD once so my memory is a bit off, but I was wondering if he just went straight from Darry to Casterly Rock and sat around until he got Pycelle's raven telling him to return to King's Landing.

Also, another Lannister question, is Ser Daven technically the head of house lannister now for all intents and purposes? Or is he only in control, but not the new Lord of Casterly Rock? I'm kind of confused by the whole inheritance tree.

Daven was Tywin's good brother, so he doesn't get Casterly Rock. I think he was named Warden of the West because the rest of the family are occupied elsewhere or children (and Jaime is already Warden of the East) Technically Tyrion is the Lord of CR now. After him comes Kevan's son Martyn (since Lancel removed himself) and then Tygett's son Tyrek (whereabouts currently unknown)

As far as what happens offstage- we haven't learned anything about Kevan yet that I recall. But I always wonder. I think it's a mistake to assume ANY character is doing nothing just because we aren't hearing about it, if you know what I mean!

eta- thanks for the further tv insight. Love the set anecdotes. The contact lens thing made me laugh- as someone who wears 'em every day I honestly can't see that being a deal breaker! :P

Just seems idiotic that he would one day come to a conclusion: "oh, wait, maybe lets just slay her and see what happens". My guess would be it was either not Varys or the poison he provided wasnt going to be fatal etc. sth along those lines.

Quite right. And in fact it's revealed in Storm of Swords (ETA: Daenerys chapter VI in aSoS) that Varys did make sure that the risk to Dany was at least contained - he alerted Jorah about it and commanded him to protect her. Jorah's magical intuition about the wine wasn't that magical after all.

(The TV show aims at making Jorah more of a hero by implying that the opposite is true, i.e. that Varys commanded Jorah not to interfere, but Jorah chose Dany over a pardon. However, it is extremely unlikely that anything like this happened in the books - when Jorah recounts later how he was commanded to protect her, he had no reason to lie instead of telling a truth that would make him look better.)

Daven was Tywin's good brother, so he doesn't get Casterly Rock. I think he was named Warden of the West because the rest of the family are occupied elsewhere or children (and Jaime is already Warden of the East) Technically Tyrion is the Lord of CR now. After him comes Kevan's son Martyn (since Lancel removed himself) and then Tygett's son Tyrek (whereabouts currently unknown)

Minor correction: Cersei came between Tyrion and Lancel - daughters do inherit, just after the sons. As Tyrion is an attainted criminal, he was removed from the succession (pending his potential triumphant return of course), so Cersei got the Rock when Tywin died and is indeed named the "Lady of Casterly Rock" in the appendix of Dance.

As you said, afterwards it's Martyn, Janei, Tyrek, Tywin "Ty", Willem, Lyonel, Red Walder - I think that's as far as we know for sure, cause we don't know the exact relation of the Stafford-branch, Damion-branch and Margot-branch to the main branch.

Minor correction: Cersei came between Tyrion and Lancel - daughters do inherit, just after the sons. As Tyrion is an attainted criminal, he was removed from the succession (pending his potential triumphant return of course), so Cersei got the Rock when Tywin died and is indeed named the "Lady of Casterly Rock" in the appendix of Dance.

As you said, afterwards it's Martyn, Janei, Tyrek, Tywin "Ty", Willem, Lyonel, Red Walder - I think that's as far as we know for sure, cause we don't know the exact relation of the Stafford-branch, Damion-branch and Margot-branch to the main branch.

Very well answered.

Here's a hypothetical one. Had the War of Five Kings never happened, and Tywin and Tyrion were removed from succession for other reasons, then would Cersei have inherited the Title "Warden of the West" in an entirely symbolic role? Although it's a military title and women are never seen leading armies under Robert, the fact that the Targaryens had warrior-women leads me to think that it may be precedented and perhaps an archaic tradition that women can have the title "Warden."

Would that be the case?

Archived