Small questions v.10002

Angalin

Well, obviously. :lol:

I just wandered if the woman might have been recognized either in the books and I just missed it, or here at the forums. I didn't find anything with the search, hence the small question. :)

I don't think so. "Some woman in the commons" doesn't give us much to work with, other than the facts that she's a woman and that she was in the commons. :P

What can a greenseer do that a warg can't? Is it a combination of a green dreamer like Jojen and a warg, or can normal wargs have green dreams to? Can normal wargs surf the weirnet?

A greenseer can see the past, present and future and speak to people through weirwood trees. They can talk to people in their dreams. They can have green dreams, they can warg into any beast pretty much. It's basically the ultimate warrior for Children of the Forest.

Bran had dreams about the sea and guardsmen drowning and it actually happened.

That was Jojen.

A greenseer can see via the weirwood trees and when he becomes more advanced can see through other trees or no trees. Brynden would have us believe they cant affect stuff they see but I think Bran is more powerful. THis parallels Varamyr and his mentor, if true. A greenseer is also a skin changer. I think skin changer is in the middle of the spectrum between having green dreams and being a greenseer.

Oh yeah, we have seen Bran see the past. The future? I dont recall that but it wouldnt surprise me. This opens up a huge hole in the space time continuum of the plot - a few orders of magnitude beyond the coming and going of characters even through death - so I hope things remain complex and difficult.

Wasn't that Jojen?

That was Jojen.

It was? Damn.

A greenseer can see via the weirwood trees and when he becomes more advanced can see through other trees or no trees. Brynden would have us believe they cant affect stuff they see but I think Bran is more powerful. THis parallels Varamyr and his mentor, if true. A greenseer is also a skin changer. I think skin changer is in the middle of the spectrum between having green dreams and being a greenseer.

Oh yeah, we have seen Bran see the past. The future? I dont recall that but it wouldnt surprise me. This opens up a huge hole in the space time continuum of the plot - a few orders of magnitude beyond the coming and going of characters even through death - so I hope things remain complex and difficult.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

Was Bloodraven an "Old Gods guy" during his natural lifetime? Is it mentioned anywhere one way or another? (I haven't read any Dunk and Egg yet)

Bloodraven was a Targ bastard. I think he was a Great Bastard. Begs the question, what old gods? He wasnt a first man. He wasnt an Andal either. The Targs were given the blessing via the Seven so presume they at least pretend to be Seven followers. Currently the R"hllor followers seem to be the most excited about dragons and Dany. The God of Many Faces came from Valyria.

But his mother family worship the old gods, so it has a 50/50 chance that he always worshipped then.

ETA: I'm talking about BR

This is why I asked. That and the fact that he becomes the last Greenseer later on.

Does anyone know what the exact vows of the kg are?

No, the words are never given. Some snippets are thrown around though, from which it seems that the protection of the king is one of several parts, but possibly the most important.

The others that have been named in a Barristan POV are 'obey his commands', 'keep his secrets', 'counsel him if he wants to hear it', 'keep your mouth shut if he prefers that', 'serve his pleasure', 'defend his name and honour', wording paraphrased. The last one probably refers to or at least includes championing the king at trials by combat.

Jaime mentions that they are sworn to protect the royal wife as well, but iirc at another point (ETA: the same Barristan chapter) it was said that the king choses to extend the KG protection to his family members (& potentially mistresses or bastards or whoever) and could technically also chose not to.

Barristan mentions that the "obey the king" part is strong enough that had Dany commanded the KG to protect Hizdahr, he would have no choice but to foil the arrest plan, even though he believes Hizdahr to be most likely guilty of an attack on Dany's life.

No, the words are never given. Some snippets are thrown around though, from which it seems that the protection of the king is one of several parts, but possibly the most important.

The others that have been named in a Barristan POV are 'obey his commands', 'keep his secrets', 'counsel him if he wants to hear it', 'keep your mouth shut if he prefers that', 'serve his pleasure', 'defend his name and honour', wording paraphrased. The last one probably refers to or at least includes championing the king at trials by combat.

Jaime mentions that they are sworn to protect the royal wife as well, but iirc at another point (ETA: the same Barristan chapter) it was said that the king choses to extend the KG protection to his family members (& potentially mistresses or bastards or whoever) and could technically also chose not to.

Barristan mentions that the "obey the king" part is strong enough that had Dany commanded the KG to protect Hizdahr, he would have no choice but to foil the arrest plan, even though he believes Hizdahr to be most likely guilty of an attack on Dany's life.

I am referring to the characters in the book. They know she had a baby? I missed that.

Sorry, I see your point. Robert assumes death by repeated rape I guess. Everyone else must go along with that or an unexplained illness. It never occurred to me because it always seemed obvious she had had a baby. Maybe they told a version of the truth and said it was still born? This is not a small question! ;)

Are there any other cases besides Robb of a male breaking a betrothal to marry someone else because of premarital relations?

A related topic, there is the relative-replacement versions for a males (Ned for Brandon, cousin for Barristan).

Any cases of relative-replacement with women?

(Edited to be more specific.)

Archived