Do You Like The Audio Books By Roy Dotrice?

Dolorous Nedd

Instead of reading the ASoIaF books I have listened to them on the audio books narrated by Roy Dotrice. I'm rather curious what others think about the audio books.

For me the first three were incredibly enjoyable with the voices of Dolorous Edd, Sandor Clegane, Jorah Mormont, Drogo, Hodor, and Mormont's raven being huge highlights. Many of the voices Roy comes up with for these books are awesome and add a lot of depth to the characters. Unfortunately his voices on the next 2 books are disappointing by comparison with a common complaint being that Dany sounds like an old hag (a point I can't disagree with).

At any rate it's nice being able to listen to these books while I'm at work. It makes the day go much faster!

I tried ADWD out during a car ride, I wasn't a big fan of many of the voices in that one. I like his spirit but I think he over does it. The females come off sounding hagards and annoying, and some of the males I had a hard time understanding.

I tried ADWD out during a car ride, I wasn't a big fan of many of the voices in that one. I like his spirit but I think he over does it. The females come off sounding hagards and annoying, and some of the males I had a hard time understanding.

The first 3 books are so much better.

Instead of reading the ASoIaF books I have listened to them on the audio books narrated by Roy Dotrice. I'm rather curious what others think about the audio books.

For me the first three were incredibly enjoyable with the voices of Dolorous Edd, Sandor Clegane, Jorah Mormont, Drogo, Hodor, and Mormont's raven being huge highlights. Many of the voices Roy comes up with for these books are awesome and add a lot of depth to the characters. Unfortunately his voices on the next 2 books are disappointing by comparison with a common complaint being that Dany sounds like an old hag (a point I can't disagree with).

At any rate it's nice being able to listen to these books while I'm at work. It makes the day go much faster!

Great topic!

I have read all the books (some twice), then decided I would both read and listen to a book in parallel. So now I read in bed at night and I listen to the audio book during my commute. This way I'm usually within a chapter or two on both mediums.

I'm about 4 chapters in on my re-read of ASOS and really enjoy this. My favorite is probably Dolorous Edd. I love that character's black humor. :-)

I haven't purchased the audio version of the last two books, but I can see where the female voices could get very annoying.

I hate it. It is good to have audiobooks because one can read while driving and one can hear every sentence whereas when reading I might miss one key sentence.

I have been listening to Audible for as long as they have been around and this is one of the worst narrations I have heard. The accent is heavy, it's hard to tell when a character is thinking v speaking because he doesnt change tone enough, his voices are terrible especially the women - he sounds like a duck quacking with or without helium. The children are only slightly better. Every character sounds like an old man in a cartoon.

I had to have the book so I knew what was said. If I had only the audiobook I would be lost. I know this because with ADWD I started without the hard copy. I had to stop during Varamyr's prologue because I couldnt figure out WTH was going on.

I have gotten AGOT on audio as well but fear it isnt ideal. However earlier posts here give me some hope This was the first time I ever complained to audible about the quality of a recording (or anything else)

Maybe he got the duty because he did the others but his voice went to hell since

JMHO

I did think he was great as Hallyne.

I've only heard ADWD. I wanted to reread the book but I don't have time anymore so I got it with my free audible trial. It took a bit of getting used to, I started reading after the TV series so already had all the voices for the cast in my head. Hearing Roy's very different Tyrion and Dany was hard at first but I've gotton used to it. I sort of retranslate them in my head into what I think they should sound like but maybe that's me being a bit crazy.

I can honestly say you do get used to it and if you haven't used audible yet get it for you're free trial. When you're at work doing something menial it's nice to have it read to you and it isn't too bad when you get used to the way he reads it.

Thinking of the series though and the difference between the books I think asoiaf is ripe for an epic radioplay when done. They wouldn't have to change anything and can cast different people for the different roles. It would cost a massive amount for a radioplay but would be so worth it.

I am kind of reacting to a prior similar thread that was very complimentary of Dotrice and without hearing previous versions and with higher expectations. So dont mind me! I love audiobooks. I dont think I am going to listen to any more Stephen King driving the Blue Mountains in the middle of the night.

The best audio books I've 'read' are the Harry Potter series, read by Jim Dale. He had slight variations for the different characters, but not over the top. That said, it seems any man reading a woman's voice is always going to sound a bit apish.

Anyway, I had read the first Harry Potter book aloud to my then 10 year old. We enjoyed it so much, we decided to try the audio book and loved it. So, we then re-read the first book aloud - this time with british accents, because it sounded better and was a bit of fun for us. From then on, every book we read together we used british accents, and that was quite a few books (entire HP series, Hobbit & entire LOTR trilogy, The Princess Bride, Series of Unfortunate Events, and few others. My daughter's accent got pretty good, my accent improved a wee bit, but it is still pretty bad - :cool4:

The best audio books I've 'read' are the Harry Potter series, read by Jim Dale. He had slight variations for the different characters, but not over the top. That said, it seems any man reading a woman's voice is always going to sound a bit apish.

Boo! Stephen Fry is where it's at. :P

Anyway, I had read the first Harry Potter book aloud to my then 10 year old. We enjoyed it so much, we decided to try the audio book and loved it. So, we then re-read the first book aloud - this time with british accents, because it sounded better and was a bit of fun for us. From then on, every book we read together we used british accents, and that was quite a few books (entire HP series, Hobbit & entire LOTR trilogy, The Princess Bride, Series of Unfortunate Events, and few others. My daughter's accent got pretty good, my accent improved a wee bit, but it is still pretty bad - :cool4:

If I can get the author reading I love it. Dylan Baker did such a good job with "I am Charlotte Simmons" (a LOT of characters of both sexes) I was disappointed to see he didnt do that many. A real treat are the David Sedaris books. Amy Sedaris does some of the reading.

I'll have to check out Jim Dale. Except for Baker I dont really keep track of readers bc they havent been that memorable. Oh, and Stephen Fry, ha ha

I've only experienced the novels through the Audible audiobooks so far and I thought Dotrice did a bloody good job up to a point.

That point was the start of AFFC. Fromt hat point on the accents and voices became rather muddled and extreme. some of his choices made sense on some level (Tywin as Churchill: Perfect!) while I still can't work out how Tyrion is welsh, and although I see the reasoning behind his choice for Davos he really doesn't sound like Long John Silver in my head at all.

Then again I still enjoy the novels and the writing despite the limitations of his vocal style and given the amount of time I have to read is limited but the time I have to listen to audiobooks is significant it has allowed me into this amazing world, and kept me entertained while out trainign for marathons.

the biggest problem I've had is actually getting over-emotional while out in public. Hearing what I thought was the death of Bran and Rickon while out running had me in tears, and I won't even go in to how I must have looked when I reacted to "the event that makes everyone throw the book across the room".;-)

I agree with the OP - Roy was outstanding in books 1, 2 and 3. When he did ADWD, he apparently forgot how he had characterized the voices earlier, and they all changed, and not to a good effect.

I haven't listened to his AFFC yet (I have the John Lee version), but if he didn't revert to the earlier accents, it is a pity.

Summary: Roy Dotrice in 1, 2 and 3 = Outstanding.

Roy Dotrice in 4? and 5 = Not good.

After watching the first tv show, I immediately started listening to the Roy Dotrice audiobooks. I was instantly addicted and as far as I am concerned, his voice is perfect. I was initially put off by Dany's irish accent in ADWD-- but when I listened to those chapters again recently I didn't mind.

Roy Dotrice is wonderful.

Am I the only one who can't stand audiobooks? I just can't pay attention to it. I think it's too easy to get distracted and to miss important information. Or maybe I just have a bad hearing memory.

Im on my first re read and I listen while Im working then read while Im on break. Its nice to be able to have someone read the story to you sometimes. Its like Im re reading it twice and catch more stuff that I missed the first time.

Like someone else said, sometimes its hard to tell when a person is speaking or when its them thinking. I really cant stand some of his voices though. Vary's voice is terrible, I dont understand why he slurs everything he says. The old dothraki crone voice made me want to smash my phone. I HATED it. There are some others that are really annoying but I cant remember right now.

Archived