Do You Like The Audio Books By Roy Dotrice?

Dolorous Nedd

he did the first three a long time ago so he probably forgot what voices he used. He did Dance before feast because he was very ill awhile back. The last two are not as strong, especially Dany's voice as opposed to first three. All in all though I think he did a great job considering.

Am I the only one who can't stand audiobooks? I just can't pay attention to it. I think it's too easy to get distracted and to miss important information. Or maybe I just have a bad hearing memory.

I tried to listen to my first audio book and couldn't handle it! It was Feast for Crows and the falsetto female voices freaked me out:(

Are all audio books like that? (where the speaker changes the pitch of their voice for different characters?))

I tried to listen to my first audio book and couldn't handle it! It was Feast for Crows and the falsetto female voices freaked me out:(

Are all audio books like that? (where the speaker changes the pitch of their voice for different characters?))

It's pretty typical. In these books Roy had to come up with something like 200+ voices. It really adds to the enjoyment if the voices are good. In the first three books his voices were amazing.

Fun fact: all the Roy Dotrice audiobooks together last 201:11:48.

:stunned:

And I've listened to them twice...

ETA: Lady of Long Lake - Feast is the only book in the series Roy Dotrice hadn't read. So, maybe giving the other books he read a go? I for one adore the audiobooks read by him.

The best audio books I've 'read' are the Harry Potter series, read by Jim Dale. He had slight variations for the different characters, but not over the top. That said, it seems any man reading a woman's voice is always going to sound a bit apish.

Anyway, I had read the first Harry Potter book aloud to my then 10 year old. We enjoyed it so much, we decided to try the audio book and loved it. So, we then re-read the first book aloud - this time with british accents, because it sounded better and was a bit of fun for us. From then on, every book we read together we used british accents, and that was quite a few books (entire HP series, Hobbit & entire LOTR trilogy, The Princess Bride, Series of Unfortunate Events, and few others. My daughter's accent got pretty good, my accent improved a wee bit, but it is still pretty bad - :cool4:

Absolutely agreed! I have listened to the entire HP series at least a half a dozen times, more for the earlier titles. Jim Dale is wonderful.

While I love to re-read books to pick up on nuances etc, I find that audio actually opens up more of that type of thing for me. So after reading ASOIAF several times, and not really having time to commit to doing it again, I decided to try the audio on my long commute.

Roy Dotrice certainly does lots of voices, and many of them very well. I find his youth voices sometimes disconcerting (his voice is bit gravelly for young girls and even young men) and I don't really appreciate Tyrion's leprechaun voice. Overall though I am enjoying it. One thing that is driving me nuts: as someone else noted he pronounces Petyr "pe-tire" Did someone tell him to do that? Also, there are a lot of mistakes you pick up on, such as occasionally calling Bran "Brian" or Alliser Thorne "Alister" That's just bad production though.

Aside from Jim Dale, really the best audio books in the world are Neil Gaiman's, 'cause he reads his own :)

I cannot listen to audiobooks, I've tried but I can't. I just miss to much and become easily distracted from what's going on.

What are you doing while listening? Browsing the internet is usually a bad idea, as is drawing. Walking through a familiar zone is good, anything that doesn't use the visual system too much (which you need to imagine the scene).

I can't listen to the Audiobooks while I'm doing anything that needs any sort of specific thinking (Work, browsing internet forums etc) but they're perfect for when I'm out on a long run or driving or something else mindless like washing up or housework.

I've tried listening to them in bed but I find that, despite being rivetted, I still drop off. What kid doesn't fall asleep to a good bedtime story?

I can honestly say you do get used to it and if you haven't used audible yet get it for you're free trial.

Ah! Thank you! I was looking into the audiobooks yesterday... found out they are $40+ on iTunes and was majorly disappointed.

Definitely going to join audible and purchase them there. Luckily I joined this site today. :)

What are you doing while listening? Browsing the internet is usually a bad idea, as is drawing. Walking through a familiar zone is good, anything that doesn't use the visual system too much (which you need to imagine the scene).

I do it only when driving with the reverse button nearby

• 3 months later...

Oh, yes! Very much so. I recommend them to everyone. Shame he didn't read Feast. And in Dance he changed some female voices, but overall I can't object - he's just that awesome ^_^

The fact that he changed some of the female voices is the only knock I have on his body of work. I mean come on guys, HE'S 89!!!

About to turn 90 on May 26th. For the guy to be at such an advanced age and still doing such a great job it's hard to complain. Although, those who've mentioned his first 3 addaptations being better are right . I really hope he goes back and listens to some of his early work and tries to replicate it in the next book.

For me my favorite voice is his Sandor Clegane. I think he does better than Rory in the show. GRRM describes his voice as grinding gravel, nice work Mr. Dotrice.

Archived