Do You Like The Audio Books By Roy Dotrice?

Dolorous Nedd

No clue why people like him, I listened to some samples when I was deciding if I wanted an audiobook set and Roy Dotrice was Terrible with a capital T. Roy Avers was good but I only found him for books 1 and 3 for some reason so I decided against the whole plan.

Unfortunately I was completely stuck with Roy D. for Dunk and Egg novellas since bookstores had nothing and the library only had audio. It was basically torture.

Am I the only one who can't stand audiobooks? I just can't pay attention to it. I think it's too easy to get distracted and to miss important information. Or maybe I just have a bad hearing memory.

I hate them too. I don't think it's the same thing. It's not as bad as watching a movie or tv show, but you always lose something. There's always interpretation and I don't like it. I like to read the books and imagine things myself.

Though they're a great alternative to those who drive a lot etc. Recently I found a way to read my kindle while working out, and I mostly use public transportation so I can read :)

I like language audio courses and maybe I could get into listening to non-literary stuff, but I too find it harder to concentrate on listening alone.

Am I the only one who can't stand audiobooks? I just can't pay attention to it. I think it's too easy to get distracted and to miss important information. Or maybe I just have a bad hearing memory.

I don't like them either, and I think you nailed the reasons why. I've tried audiobooks (not ASOIAF, but other novels) and found them difficult to keep up with and quickly lose interest. I can only imagine how much detail I'd miss in a story as complex as Martin's.

I have listened to them dozens of times.

I think Dotrice does a fabulous job with most of the male voices, especially his standard "narrator" voice, and also especially when he does fat and/or old men. He's great as Walder Frey, Jeor Mormont, Wyman Manderly etc.

It is definitely sometimes hard to know if a character is thinking or speaking. They should use an audio filter to show the difference. Make it sound more echo-ey inside someone's head, for example.

Dotrice is also unfortunately, as others have pointed out, not so great with female voices, and the voice he does for some characters is entirely different than their voice in later books. Melisandre is one that comes to mind. Huge difference between Mel in aSoS/aCoK and Mel in aDwD.

They should overdub all the female voices and POV narration with a female actor, but I doubt that will happen.

OR they should re-record the whole darn thing with a cast of voice actors. That would be amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea where to get variety of narrator options for these books? Audible only seems to have Roy Dotrice... which is fine by me but I'd like to preview others before purchasing (if possible). I am in need of a re-read and lack the time to read it to myself...

I love audiobooks but I don't know if I would recommend listening to ASOIAF the first time around, instead of actually reading. Only because it can be a little tricky to figure out what is internal dialogue (as in text that would be italicized) and actual dialogue. It's much easier to pick this up if you've read the physical text.

But maybe I'm the only one that had this problem. I enjoyed them so much more after I had finished the books.

Also, very much agree with everyone on Stephen Fry's Harry Potter audiobooks. I love them so much. I could listen to his voice all day long.

I drive a lot for work and so have listened to the series rather than read them. I've heard better tbh but at least he's fairly consistent. Some people have much better vocal range and can do more unique voices for each character.

Sometimes I compare officially sanctioned audio books to fan made ones and I wonder why can Dotrice be as precise with his words as this girl: http://www.youtube.c...69392E608A552A6

Or why can't they find someone who'll add atmosphere with a soundtrack to it like this dude:

This guy is actually really good too: http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

• 1 month later...

Oh my god I can't stand this guy. He almost ruins the experience for me. Every voice he chooses, aside from children, sounds like either a decrepid old person, a pirate or someone with a terrible lisp. Not every character is an old guy. He could try to make them sound young. And the sex scenes? Oh god. So much saliva in his voices, sometimes it gets irritating. His general narration is great! I wish he would recite the voices in a similar manner. Where was the direction when he was recording this? And what was with his 'Churchill' Tywin?

Ha, I just started a re-read and got lazy about Tyrion (2). So I went and downloaded Got audiobook and it's okay. I laugh a lot when he says certain things. I think I'd like it better if it were read by a person with an accent though. He certainly gets through it a lot faster than me, cause I stop every other sentence and think aboutwhat I just read. Always looking for clues and a different interpretation.

I too have primarily listened to the audio books, I drive delivery so its kinda perfect for me. I've listened to several different people do the performancr so far, but primarily Roy Dotrice. He has his strengths and weaknesses. He nails Tyrion and Jon, but his performances of female characters is pretty weak. Also his jaime drives me nuts, sounds like a soccer analyst on tv. I forget the name, but there was a guy who did GoT the first time I listened to it who was awesome, but I've never found him again.

• 3 months later...

Many complaints here on his female voice interpretation and his performance on the two last books...

That's a bit unfair.Just to site an example, wasn't his narrating of Cersei recalling the prophecy admirable?

His SoS version of Melisandre is hysterical. Can't listen to it without dying of laughter every time. Even in public with my headphones I'll have to stop to laugh.

ADWD Dany is funny to. His Tyrion sounds perfectly impish and I love his Selyse. His Asha makes me chuckle.

I do not like his Hodor and I hated his Varys at first but I love it.

It's scary how his Stannis sounds just like the Stannis on the show.

Archived