Would Jon possibly marry Jeyne Westerling?

Who isn't going to marry Jon Snow? Aunt-wife Dany seems a foregone conclusion to some. Some see Val as a good wife material for Jon. I remember someone noticing that Shireen blushed when talking to him, and concluding that wedding bells were in their future. Some even ship Jon and Arya, but I refuse to even discuss that union. :ack:

It's a fortunate coincidence that the Targaryens practiced polygamy, but how many wives can poor old Jon have, until the neighbors start whispering and pointing at him on the street? And he vowed celibacy, too.

Where is that like button? :P

Who isn't going to marry Jon Snow? Aunt-wife Dany seems a foregone conclusion to some. Some see Val as a good wife material for Jon. I remember someone noticing that Shireen blushed when talking to him, and concluding that wedding bells were in their future. Some even ship Jon and Arya, but I refuse to even discuss that union. :ack:

It's a fortunate coincidence that the Targaryens practiced polygamy, but how many wives can poor old Jon have, until the neighbors start whispering and pointing at him on the street? And he vowed celibacy, too.

I'm going to marry Jon Snow too.

You forget the essential point here - Jon is brother of NW, therefore, no wedding, no wife, no raising children. And, btw, death doesn`t free Jon from his vows.

Sure it does. "And now his watch is at an end..." said of Nights Watchmen who die.

It's not like the Westerling girl's baby (if by some miracle she is pregnant) would be a bastard. It would be Robb's trueborn son with his lady wife. Why would Jon need to marry her? She could live in Winterfell with the rest of the family just the same and be taken care of that way.

I agree. Jon could definitely help raise the child, educating it in the ways of the North, etc. I see no reason for him to feel obligated to marry her, unless the two fall madly in love which I sincerely hope doesn't happen. One Stark going gaga over Jeyne Westerling is enough.

Sure it does. "And now his watch is at an end..." said of Nights Watchmen who die.

Well, if he survives `death` he wouldn`t be free of his vows. You know, those vows mean something to Jon

Well, if he survives `death` he wouldn`t be free of his vows. You know, those vows mean something to Jon

If he doesn't die, then you're right. If he dies - then his Watch is done. If he wants to keep to his vows after he is resurrected, that's his call, but it sounded to me like Jon had other plans right before the end of his last POV. He was going to defect with an army of wildlings in order to face Ramsay, for which he was assassinated. I think when he's resurrected, he will have another agenda but ultimately he will do what the Night's Watch was sworn to do - protect the realm of man from the Others; not to fight the wildlings; which is what the NW thought its mission had become in the millennia since the First Men last battled the Others. Either the NW will follow Jon, even though he is no longer one of them, or they will sow the seeds of their own destruction by not understanding that the wildlings are their allies in the war for Dawn.

Anyway, I hope Jon is done with the NW and the Wall and fights in his own way. I feel like anyone with Jon's gifts is wasted in that gods-forsaken place, especially since the old timers don't seem to understand what they are truly facing. I also hope there's more to his future than coldness and misery.

That being said, on topic, I don't see Jeyne Westerling in Jon's future. For one thing, she's way South of the Wall and even if she's pregnant, which I doubt as it sounds like her mother sabotaged her, how would Jon even meet her? She's being kept on a very short leash by her family, because they are conspirators with Tywin and he calls the shots about when and whether Jeyne will be able to wed again. At best, I think Jeyne will fade into the history books as the former putative Queen of the North in the minds of some Northmen (except those who blame her for leading to Robb's death), but that will amount to nothing as long as Tommen is on the throne and a Bolton holds Winterfell. Even if someone else conquers the southern kingdoms, say Aegon, what happens in the North doesn't impact Jeyne as long as she is being kept under wraps by her family. Now, if she is pregnant, then the Northmen would rally around Robb's son (or daughter, perhaps), but that would mean somehow getting control of the child away from those who would mean to keep him or her from upsetting the southern King's plans.

No, I think Jon's destiny - whether it involves a woman or not, will not involve Jeyne Westerling.

I don't know why this would come up. Robb and Jeyne were not an arranged couple, so there's no debt the Starks owe to the Westerlings. If she's expecting, Jon can merely act as regent until the kid is of age.

You're forgetting Arianne and Asha and probably Marg too. He'll sit the throne and be the first King to make the eight!

Well, it's not impossible, which was the question in the header. It's also not impossible that if Bronn were killed Jon would marry Lollys, which would be only a little less likely.

I can think of no reason under the sun for Jon to marry Jeyne (Stark, not Westerling).

If he doesn't die, then you're right. If he dies - then his Watch is done. If he wants to keep to his vows after he is resurrected, that's his call, but it sounded to me like Jon had other plans right before the end of his last POV. He was going to defect with an army of wildlings in order to face Ramsay, for which he was assassinated. I think when he's resurrected, he will have another agenda but ultimately he will do what the Night's Watch was sworn to do - protect the realm of man from the Others; not to fight the wildlings; which is what the NW thought its mission had become in the millennia since the First Men last battled the Others. Either the NW will follow Jon, even though he is no longer one of them, or they will sow the seeds of their own destruction by not understanding that the wildlings are their allies in the war for Dawn.

Anyway, I hope Jon is done with the NW and the Wall and fights in his own way. I feel like anyone with Jon's gifts is wasted in that gods-forsaken place, especially since the old timers don't seem to understand what they are truly facing. I also hope there's more to his future than coldness and misery.

There is a good reason for every character`s position. Jon won`t be free of his vows for he had many chances to desert NW, and he didn`t. That gods-forsaken place will soon be the atmost important frontier in ASOIAF, or at least mythological part of it. People always have tendency to forget that there are 2 storylines here - a political and a mythological. And that both of them are equally important.

And for those of you, who think that after resurrection Jon would be free to leave, I have to say it speaks more of your sense of honor (or at least, lack of same)

Archived