Would Jon possibly marry Jeyne Westerling?

And for those of you, who think that after resurrection Jon would be free to leave, I have to say it speaks more of your sense of honor (or at least, lack of same)

Honor is a horse. Rhaegar fought with honor; Rhaegar died.

Seriously, the Night's Watch's vow is obsolete. The Watch needs reform. As it stands it's so understaffed as to be nearly usless for its task, ands the situation won't get better without major changes. The major objection to Jon leaving the Watch is lack of a suitable replacement. Luckily Slynt isn't around to run for that office.

There is a good reason for every character`s position. Jon won`t be free of his vows for he had many chances to desert NW, and he didn`t. That gods-forsaken place will soon be the atmost important frontier in ASOIAF, or at least mythological part of it. People always have tendency to forget that there are 2 storylines here - a political and a mythological. And that both of them are equally important.

And for those of you, who think that after resurrection Jon would be free to leave, I have to say it speaks more of your sense of honor (or at least, lack of same)

What If the NW is no more? That's where I believe the story is headed. Don't get me wrong, I was kind of trolling with the Jon/Jeyne marriage proposal, I said in the OP that I didn't think it would happen. I DO think the NW is done. All we've heard since the start of the story was how weak it was and how there are no more good men on the wall. It has only gotten worse. Also why put a huge wall in a story if it is not meant to come down? The wall will fall and so will the NW. After the others are defeated there will be no reason to rebuild.

Ha! I could never stand the Westerling girl and now I know why. She's Yoko.

Jon would never marry her because she's not his type. He likes women with fire in them.

I'm sure Melisandre could fix that :P

Oh my bad, I thought you said fire with women in them.

E.T.A. then again.. a bit of girl on girl kiss of life would be pretty hot too.

I really don't like Jeyne. She seems utterly dull and a bit stupid. She has a lovely heart shaped face and good hips and all that...but really? not the most interesting girl out there.

I love the contrast between Jeyne and Ygritte as well. Robb settling for the boringly typical girl next door, and Jon going for the wild, dangerous spearwife.

But, anyway...No, I don't think Jon would marry her for various reasons:

1. She's not his style. I got the feeling Jon liked Alys and Val. Northern girls and wildling princesses. Both are interesting in their own right. Val, because she's tough and harsh beneath that pretty face. Alys because she's easy going and strong minded. She did take a horse and travel all the way to the wall after all. Also...both Val and Ygritte are older than Jon, and somehow that fits him. He needs a strong and independent woman, or at least one who stands on equal footing with him, extroverted and outgoing.
  2. Politically speaking marrying Jeyne would be utterly useless and stupid. The Northmen might even resent Jeyne. After all, she's the reason Robb died and she didn't even have the decency to get pregnant and give them a Stark heir. Also, her family is firmly into Lannister hands once more, and even if they turned cloaks again, the Westerlings wouldn't bring anything into that marriage but trouble.

As a conclusion, if Jon marries anyone one day, I'd place my bet with Asha Greyjoy, Val or a fierce northern girl.

Even Arianne Martell could work, if there was need for a political match between Dorne and Westeros. The age difference is bigger with Arianne but they could get along. Also, while Asha and Jon would have a difficult past to get over first, I think its quite possible for them to find common ground against their enemies. Also, Stannis could suggest such a match to have a claim on both Winterfell and the Iron Islands.

Dany could work, though I think, Dany needs to grow up a bit before they meet. Dany's attitude (the way she behaved in Mereen, at least) would not sit well with Jon, I think.

What If the NW is no more? That's where I believe the story is headed. Don't get me wrong, I was kind of trolling with the Jon/Jeyne marriage proposal, I said in the OP that I didn't think it would happen. I DO think the NW is done. All we've heard since the start of the story was how weak it was and how there are no more good men on the wall. It has only gotten worse. Also why put a huge wall in a story if it is not meant to come down? The wall will fall and so will the NW. After the others are defeated there will be no reason to rebuild.

I don't think the Night Watch is entirely done. Though I think a smart Lord Commander would twist the vows to allow married men and women to join them on the wall. The wall needs be manned, whether with Black Brothers, wildlings or common folks. If they mean to survive the long night, the wall can't be abandoned.

Honor is a horse. Rhaegar fought with honor; Rhaegar died.

Seriously, the Night's Watch's vow is obsolete. The Watch needs reform. As it stands it's so understaffed as to be nearly usless for its task, ands the situation won't get better without major changes. The major objection to Jon leaving the Watch is lack of a suitable replacement. Luckily Slynt isn't around to run for that office.

:agree:

Ned was trying to be honorable too...so was Robb, kind of. Jon did the honorable thing when he told everyone he meant to leave and face off with the Bolton Bastard. He'll have learned his lesson when/if he wakes. Also, this lesson is one Jon did learn already with Quorin Halfhand. Sometimes you need to sacrifice your honor and look at the bigger picture. If that means Jon is required to take up the name of Stark, turn his cloak, desert the wall momentarily to return as King in the North, or make a political match, he will do it eventually. He's already shown his willingness to bend the rules when it comes to letting the wildlings cross the wall and giving Alys Karstark's hand in marriage.

The north needs to be united under one rule if the wall is to be of any use. If that means disposing of Boltons and Stannis, making a claim on Robb's crown, or marrying wildlings with northern folks, someone will have to step up and do it.

Jon will realise the necessity of a strong, united north standing behind the front line. He already has realised it somewhat and I believe, his own interest aside, that's also one reason for why he so willing to deal advice to Stannis, or find a match for Alys. The neutrality of the wall is already in question from Jon's actions and Stannis's presence alone. Further with his men turning on him, GRRM has actually provided a legitimate excuse for Jon to desert the wall and do all these things mentioned above.

I don't think it would really be advantageous to anyone. Robb's son and/or daughter would have a cool father figure, but Ned marrying Catelyn in Brandon's place was a different situation. Jon Arryn needed Hoster Tully...the North doesn't need and does not want the Westerlings, the only thing they have of value is what's possibly growing inside Jeyne. If Jon does return free from his vows, he can either challenge his nephew's(?) claim (not likely to score points with Jeyne) or support it, in which case it might be prudent to marry someone of political value who might bring more strength to the Stark cause.

I don't think the Night Watch is entirely done. Though I think a smart Lord Commander would twist the vows to allow married men and women to join them on the wall. The wall needs be manned, whether with Black Brothers, wildlings or common folks. If they mean to survive the long night, the wall can't be abandoned.

Pleanty of men who alrady have family's have joined the watch forceforly or on their own accord. Jeor is a prime example. I guess in the end, you are still supposed to put the NW above all.

I think what your talking about is kind of liek a Marine reserve type scenario, though I don't think it would work. It's not easy to just change rules that are thousands of years old.

And I didn't say the wall would be abandoned, I think it will come down.

Just curious- Do we have clarification of the chronology? I mean, Robb died in 299 and aDwD ends in 300. Is it confirmed somewhere that Jeyne could actually still be pregnant when WoW opens? Or is the expectation that there will be (another) secret child?

The evidence we have seems actually to be against Jeyne being pregnant. Its not impossible but it is highly unlikely. Her Mother was secretly giving her a contraceptives. The Jeyne that Jaimie saw did not appear to be pregnant. Supporters of this theory think the girl Jaimie met was an imposter but it seems unlikely that this ploy would have worked since many of the men in Jaimies army would have been familiar with Jeyne and her family. Its all speculation really with very tenuos evidence.

The evidence we have seems actually to be against Jeyne being pregnant. Its not impossible but it is highly unlikely. Her Mother was secretly giving her a contraceptives. The Jeyne that Jaimie saw did not appear to be pregnant. Supporters of this theory think the girl Jaimie met was an imposter but it seems unlikely that this ploy would have worked since many of the men in Jaimies army would have been familiar with Jeyne and her family. Its all speculation really with very tenuos evidence.

I think it's all based on an inconsistency with the way her hips are described, yes?

Is there any other textual evidence to support her:

1. being pregnant?

2. being at large and not under Lannister control?

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this theory. I was always deeply suspicious of her (based on the way Grey Wind acted around her) If we have no textual evidence besides the hips bit I don't think I'm going to give this much credence.

Archived